pre-rental expenses are capitol or revenue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre-rental expenses are capitol or revenue?

Hi. Seems to be some mixed messages here. Our flat was let out, then we bought it as it became empty, there was a gap of a few months while it was empty and we refreshed it thoroughly, then let it out again. I assumed that the money we spent on painting and decorating was a revenue expense, as we were just bringing the place back up to normal standards. However, I've also seen suggestions that as this was pre-rental stage this is automatically a capitol expense (like doing the place up might be classed) because the price we paid might have reflected this (it didn't, we just wanted it to look as nice as possible to attract good tenants and not need decorating for a couple of years). Can anyone shed any light please?
    I can understand knocking thorough walls or a new fancy kitchen will be capitol expense, but decorating is surely revenue expense (I hope!) as houses are not generally devalued just because the paint scheme is old... its because the kitchen is old or the roof needs fixing etc.
    thanks
    B

Originally posted by bowsden View Post
    we were just bringing the place back up to normal standards.
    B
    The above comment suggests that the property was not fit to let out and that should have been reflected in the price which you paid so it could be argued that it is a capital expense, which will be taken into account when you sell.
    You may be able to claim as revenue expenses some minor costs of freshening up to obtain a better tenant but not if the property needed decorating before it could be let out or in the very near future.

Comment

This is as much an art as a science.

If the property was simply being kept up to a rentable condition, it's allowable against revenue.
      If the work increased the value of the property significantly it's probably capital.

HMRC accept that maintenance work has an effect on the value of a property, because it's inevitable.
      A property with a new boiler is more appealing than one with a ten year old boiler - but the replacement is a maintenance event.

I'd take the same approach with the decoration.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Painting and decorating at periodic intervals is a requirement under your lease and so it must be a maintenance expense.

Comment

Thanks for that. I wouldn't say the flat was sold cheap becasue the paint and windows were tired. I'd say we decided to do the work to get a better tenant and we could have let it as is with no issue. In that case I'd say its revenue expense, but as others have said,its not clear. If the windows were falling out or the paper peeling off the walls then maybe the flat would have been cheaper, but it was is ok order, just nit what we thought would attract a good tenant. Any further thoughts?
          thanks anyway

Comment

Treat it as maintenance.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by bowsden View Post
              Thanks for that. I wouldn't say the flat was NOT sold cheap becasue the paint and windows were tired. I'd say we decided to do the work to get a better tenant and we could have let it as is with no issue. In that case I'd say its revenue expense, but as others have said,its not clear. If the windows were falling out or the paper peeling off the walls then maybe the flat would have been cheaper, but it was is ok order, just nit what we thought would attract a good tenant. Any further thoughts?
              thanks anyway
              typo! meant to say was not sold cheap...

Comment

Update. Spoke to HMRC. This was not crystal clear but the answer seemed to be yes, pre rental expenses are revenue expenses as long as the flat was not in need of 'doing up' to rent. We could have let it like that but decided it would be easier to attract a tenant if we refreshed it and save on doing it again the year after. The chap also specifically said windows were revenue expense as long as they needed doing. And I can only claim for carpets replaced and not carpets adding to an already bare varnished floor... just as we suspected.
                Hope that helps.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Taking Rent in Advance and Tax Position
                  Claymore
                  Grateful for some advice from our regular posters please.

I have tenants due to move into my house on 1st Feb. They have sold their home (completion 1st Feb) so they can address a financial pickle they had got themselves into, they have been very upfront about their mistakes, they are...
                  23-01-2019, 10:53 AM
                • Reply to Taking Rent in Advance and Tax Position
                  Claymore
                  No, its not three months - it means an extra 8 months rent going into 2018/19 return instead of the 8 months going into 2019/2020 - the 12 months rent is a very large amount - South East London prices and will really affect things.

I think I will just ask the solicitor to split the payments...
                  23-01-2019, 13:58 PM
                • Allowable tax expenses of sublet annexe
                  Manya
                  Hi I’m dealing with the rental income for tax purposes for the first time from an attached annexe and need help! We rent the property from our landlord and had permission from him to sublet a self contained annexe which has its own front and back door but which is connected with an internal door...
                  21-01-2019, 09:08 AM
                • Reply to Allowable tax expenses of sublet annexe
                  Manya
                  That’s really great! Thanks so much for your prompt response.
                  23-01-2019, 12:29 PM
                  jpkeates
                  Will the advance rent make that much difference?
                  If the rent starts on 1 Feb, three months will be in 2018/19 tax year anyway, so it's "only" three month's rent you're looking to shift.

And regarding hacked off accountants, I make it a rule to get my return in during the...
                  23-01-2019, 12:05 PM
                  Claymore
                  I do have an accountant and he is really p'd off with me at the moment. I have been really late in getting my info to him. Totally my own fault and if he doesn't accept my promises for the future, I'm going to have to find a new accountant. So, I'm p'd off with myself too and I darent ask him anything...
                  23-01-2019, 11:34 AM
                  leaseholder64
                  I'm not sure HMRC would really like you switching each year, and if you do, there are steps you have to take to ensure that income doesn't slip through the net. You might get charged more by the accountant.
                  23-01-2019, 11:32 AM
                  Claymore
                  OK, I think I understand that. I guess my accountant must submit my returns on a cash basis as I'm not a large company. So would I simply ask him to submit my tax returns on an 'Accruals' basis for 2018/2019 return?
                  23-01-2019, 11:25 AM
                  leaseholder64
                  If you don't know, you should already be using an accountant, who does, to prepare your accounts. Ask them.

However, with traditional accounting, as required for all limited companies and for larger non-limited businesses, money is only treated as income when it becomes payable. The advance...
                  23-01-2019, 11:22 AM
                  jpkeates
                  There are two ways of accounting for a landlord.

The cash basis, where you treat income and outgoings as they happen (so you record rent when it's paid, not when it's due) and Accruals (which is how larger companies work) where you treat income and outgoings as though you were an actual...
                  23-01-2019, 11:15 AM
                Working...
                X