Storage Cost tax deductable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage Cost tax deductable?

I have a house, with a detached garage. The garage has never been rented out, but I store things related to renting e.g. timber, cabinet doors, surplus tiles, building materials, furniture, pipes etc...

I need storage space to refurbish my private home. I have looked at third party storage companies such as Big Yellow etc...

I need to space for 3 or 4 months.

Can I claim that as a tax deductible expense?

Normally, I would have been able to use my garage, but it is full of stuff related to the rental business.

Or do I need to move stuff out from my garage into third party storage, so that I can use the garage for personal storage items?

It would involve more work, if I have to empty the garage out.

I wondering how the tax man would see it?

Anything that isn't wholly and exclusively for your business can't be claimed as a business expense.
    So paying for storage for things related to your rental business is allowable, while anything related to your private home is not eligible.

Would anyone ever check or be able to tell is a different question.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X