Tax and income on a Building Burnt down

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tax and income on a Building Burnt down

    Hello All

    The building I had a flat in burnt down.

    I am being paid rent from the insurance company and I have had an offer to settle from the freeholders (Camden) by buying me out.

    Do I pay Capital Gains tax on this type situation and also do I pay tas on the insurance rent?

    Incidentally, would I need a surveyor or solicitor to negotiate the price?

    Sorry if too many questions, but I have suffered anxiety for over a year on this. Grateful for any help you may have.

    Were you living in your own flat in a council owned block of flats ? and was the flat rented to a tenant ?


      Why start another thread?
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        So that many people can spend many minutes re-establishing all the details he's given in the previous threads :-(.


          Oh dear I have I have not upset people, I may have two user names. Not being young any more my mind is not what it was. Apologies.

          Thank you for replying Gordon. The flat was a Camden Victorian freehold conversion and I was the Landlord. Some of the flats had Camden tenants,a few were owner occupied.

          Let me know if you need more information. I am not well and may a few weeks to acknowledge. I will do my best.



            Is there any date for accepting the offer to buy you out ? You should check with other flat owners to see if there is general acceptance of the offer. You can speak to some local estate agents about approx current valuation for a comparable flat ( 1 bed or 2 bed flat ) in your street . Are the other flat owners using a surveyor to get higher valuation ? or using same solicitor to handle the conveyancing ?

            If you were not living there when the fire occurred, the insurance rent is treated same as rent paid by the tenant and the rent must be reported on your annual tax return.

            Yes, I think the capital gains tax will apply to the "capital gain" which can be reduced by the "period under owner occupation + 18 months " and by the annual allowance of about £11,500.


              Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

              There is no date given, I have been told by Camden that they will be coming back to me. Unfortunately the other lessees never bothered to communicate over the years that I tried to get an association going. One did for a short while and then I received no more replies to my emails, so I am on my own.

              Thank you so much for the information in the last two paragraphs, I was not living there as my tenant was.

              To my original question, would you think I should go to a solicitor or straight to a surveyor?



                I think you should consult a surveyor first and seek advice if the compensation offer is fair and matches the value assessed by the District Valuation Office .


                  That's kind of you Gordon, that's what I will do.

                  Best regards



                  Latest Activity


                  • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
                    by bobcat
                    Thanks I will start to keep a diary of all my mileage and claim it going forwards...
                    15-12-2019, 14:40 PM
                  • Could we be more tax efficient!
                    by bobcat
                    Hi all,

                    We are currently completing the annual tax return for my wife and just wondering whether we could be more tax efficient! We no longer have any loans on the properties or major replacements planned so our tax payable is more than previous years. I don't mind paying tax but am wondering...
                    09-12-2019, 17:40 PM
                  • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
                    by bobcat
                    Thanks I will go ahead and claim the £4 a week....
                    15-12-2019, 14:39 PM
                  • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
                    by JK0
                    It's only if you have an agent running the place, the flat is assumed to be managed from there, so your trips to the agent are deemed to be you 'travelling to work'. (Sounds nonsense to me, but there we are.)

                    If there is no agent. or you are between lettings, I'd say you can claim mile...
                    13-12-2019, 12:10 PM
                  • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
                    by jpkeates
                    An employer can pay an employee £4 a week without it being taxable to cover the additional costs if the employee works from home.

                    So I make the claim on the same basis and have done for years.
                    No one's ever queried it.
                    It's not consistent with the HMRC advice for small businesses,...
                    13-12-2019, 10:55 AM
                  • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
                    by bobcat
                    Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and apologise for the delay in responding.

                    I think of all the possible things mentioned the only things I don't claim for at the moment are mileage, home office and apportioning a phone bill so will look at those in more detail.

                    In terms...
                    13-12-2019, 09:53 AM
                  • Responses from HMRC
                    by AndrewDod
                    Is anyone getting any responses from HMRC these days at all. I sent then two R17 forms with certificates of postage -- one a year ago, another a month ago. No response or acknowledgement at all....
                    11-12-2019, 17:51 PM
                  • Reply to Responses from HMRC
                    by Gordon999
                    You can call the tax office hotline , quote your tax reference and ask if your recent letter / form R17 has been entered under your file ?...
                    12-12-2019, 22:56 PM
                  • Reply to CGT Online Tax Return Question
                    by Gordon999
                    For calculation of capital gain after sale, the gain (= "sale proceeds" minus "acquisition costs" ) and you want to include the cost of 6 additional buildings and not kept the receipts, you still show the calculation in the tax return but you declare the acquisition cost is based...
                    12-12-2019, 22:50 PM
                  • CGT Online Tax Return Question
                    by Tricky19
                    I have a couple of questions relating to my online self-assessment for the CGT calculation on a rental property i have sold.

                    I originally lived in the property as my primary residence and had some improvement works done which added to the value of the property. I will be deducting these...
                    06-12-2019, 14:53 PM