Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wotsitallabout
    replied
    That's kind of you Gordon, that's what I will do.

Best regards

Alan

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    I think you should consult a surveyor first and seek advice if the compensation offer is fair and matches the value assessed by the District Valuation Office .

Leave a comment:

• wotsitallabout
    replied
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

There is no date given, I have been told by Camden that they will be coming back to me. Unfortunately the other lessees never bothered to communicate over the years that I tried to get an association going. One did for a short while and then I received no more replies to my emails, so I am on my own.

Thank you so much for the information in the last two paragraphs, I was not living there as my tenant was.

To my original question, would you think I should go to a solicitor or straight to a surveyor?

Best
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Is there any date for accepting the offer to buy you out ? You should check with other flat owners to see if there is general acceptance of the offer. You can speak to some local estate agents about approx current valuation for a comparable flat ( 1 bed or 2 bed flat ) in your street . Are the other flat owners using a surveyor to get higher valuation ? or using same solicitor to handle the conveyancing ?

If you were not living there when the fire occurred, the insurance rent is treated same as rent paid by the tenant and the rent must be reported on your annual tax return.

Yes, I think the capital gains tax will apply to the "capital gain" which can be reduced by the "period under owner occupation + 18 months " and by the annual allowance of about £11,500.

Leave a comment:

• wotsitallabout
    replied
    Oh dear I have I have not upset people, I may have two user names. Not being young any more my mind is not what it was. Apologies.

Thank you for replying Gordon. The flat was a Camden Victorian freehold conversion and I was the Landlord. Some of the flats had Camden tenants,a few were owner occupied.

Let me know if you need more information. I am not well and may a few weeks to acknowledge. I will do my best.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    So that many people can spend many minutes re-establishing all the details he's given in the previous threads :-(.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Why start another thread?

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Were you living in your own flat in a council owned block of flats ? and was the flat rented to a tenant ?

Leave a comment:

• wotsitallabout
    started a topic Tax and income on a Building Burnt down

Tax and income on a Building Burnt down

Hello All

The building I had a flat in burnt down.

I am being paid rent from the insurance company and I have had an offer to settle from the freeholders (Camden) by buying me out.

Do I pay Capital Gains tax on this type situation and also do I pay tas on the insurance rent?

Incidentally, would I need a surveyor or solicitor to negotiate the price?

Sorry if too many questions, but I have suffered anxiety for over a year on this. Grateful for any help you may have.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Responses from HMRC
    by AndrewDod
    Is anyone getting any responses from HMRC these days at all. I sent then two R17 forms with certificates of postage -- one a year ago, another a month ago. No response or acknowledgement at all....
    11-12-2019, 17:51 PM
  • Reply to Responses from HMRC
    by tatemono
    my wife and I filed paper returns in August and received our tax statements on the same day in November. Hoping not to hear from them again for a while ;-)
    12-12-2019, 21:46 PM
  • Existing property and existing Ltd Co - Tax question
    by Iceboy74
    Hi All,

I have a LTD co, via which I have been doing consulting for 12 years. About a year a go I asked my accountant to change the SIC codes to include property development, rental etc.

I have just refurbished a house and the Estate Agent has asked me if I want the agreement...
    10-12-2019, 11:39 AM
  • Reply to Existing property and existing Ltd Co - Tax question
    by Gordon999
    If you and your wife own the house, then both of you are required to submit annual income tax return and report 50% of the rental income and the expenses.

The Ltd company can act as the letting agent for the property owners and charge 10-15% of the annual rent as letting commission....
    12-12-2019, 16:33 PM
  • CGT Online Tax Return Question
    by Tricky19
    I have a couple of questions relating to my online self-assessment for the CGT calculation on a rental property i have sold.

I originally lived in the property as my primary residence and had some improvement works done which added to the value of the property. I will be deducting these...
    06-12-2019, 14:53 PM
  • Reply to CGT Online Tax Return Question
    by jpkeates
    You have to be able to show how you ended up with the figure you're reporting somehow, even if you haven't got receipts.
    12-12-2019, 14:33 PM
    by Another Fine Mess
    May I ask ? In the SA108 Notes (2019) it says "Computation Working Sheet for Straightforward Calculations"

What do you do if none of the Calculations are straightforward ? I have sold a site with 6 different building on it all built between 1985 and 2001. And unfortunately...
    12-12-2019, 13:11 PM
    by Another Fine Mess
    I have a similar problem. One of my buildings was destroyed by a fire 29 years ago and was rebuilt fortunately, funded by my Insurance Company. As it was an Agricultural Building it did not need either planning permission or building control involvement.

I need to work out the "Enhancement"...
    12-12-2019, 13:02 PM
  • Reply to Responses from HMRC
    by jpkeates
    Haven't had anything that would generate a response, but I have noticed that their basic and routine mailings are all over the place.
    My wife received a statement of the tax due for payment before the end of January three weeks ago and I haven't received one yet.
    Same tax office, same amount...
    12-12-2019, 09:56 AM
  • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
    by Jon66
    If you are accurate with your planning you can put maintenance on a rolling plan so you minimise the tax due....
    11-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Working...
X