Tax and income on a Building Burnt down

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tax and income on a Building Burnt down

    Hello All

    The building I had a flat in burnt down.

    I am being paid rent from the insurance company and I have had an offer to settle from the freeholders (Camden) by buying me out.

    Do I pay Capital Gains tax on this type situation and also do I pay tas on the insurance rent?

    Incidentally, would I need a surveyor or solicitor to negotiate the price?

    Sorry if too many questions, but I have suffered anxiety for over a year on this. Grateful for any help you may have.

    Were you living in your own flat in a council owned block of flats ? and was the flat rented to a tenant ?


      Why start another thread?
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        So that many people can spend many minutes re-establishing all the details he's given in the previous threads :-(.


          Oh dear I have I have not upset people, I may have two user names. Not being young any more my mind is not what it was. Apologies.

          Thank you for replying Gordon. The flat was a Camden Victorian freehold conversion and I was the Landlord. Some of the flats had Camden tenants,a few were owner occupied.

          Let me know if you need more information. I am not well and may a few weeks to acknowledge. I will do my best.



            Is there any date for accepting the offer to buy you out ? You should check with other flat owners to see if there is general acceptance of the offer. You can speak to some local estate agents about approx current valuation for a comparable flat ( 1 bed or 2 bed flat ) in your street . Are the other flat owners using a surveyor to get higher valuation ? or using same solicitor to handle the conveyancing ?

            If you were not living there when the fire occurred, the insurance rent is treated same as rent paid by the tenant and the rent must be reported on your annual tax return.

            Yes, I think the capital gains tax will apply to the "capital gain" which can be reduced by the "period under owner occupation + 18 months " and by the annual allowance of about £11,500.


              Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

              There is no date given, I have been told by Camden that they will be coming back to me. Unfortunately the other lessees never bothered to communicate over the years that I tried to get an association going. One did for a short while and then I received no more replies to my emails, so I am on my own.

              Thank you so much for the information in the last two paragraphs, I was not living there as my tenant was.

              To my original question, would you think I should go to a solicitor or straight to a surveyor?



                I think you should consult a surveyor first and seek advice if the compensation offer is fair and matches the value assessed by the District Valuation Office .


                  That's kind of you Gordon, that's what I will do.

                  Best regards



                  Latest Activity


                  • Higher tax bracket
                    I will be a brand new landlord soon and wasn't sure if what I'm doing is correct (best for tax reasons)

                    I have two properties

                    1) Bought Feb 2017 (£185,000 24% equity) residential for me to live in
                    2) Bought May 2019 (£150,000 25% equity) buy to let

                    21-05-2019, 15:10 PM
                  • Reply to Higher tax bracket
                    Thanks for the info guys. I guess speaking with an accountant is the next step. Have any of you used anyone from Manchester that you would recommend?
                    23-05-2019, 11:04 AM
                  • Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
                    Hi All

                    Both myself and my wife each have a number of BTL props in our sole names.

                    We also jointly own our marital home.

                    We want to move house to something bigger, and have been advised that the 3% SDLT Penalty will sting us on the new purchase even though it is...
                    22-05-2019, 18:14 PM
                  • Reply to Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
                    Thanks. Yes we are selling our main residence and buying another. So that's good news, thank you.
                    23-05-2019, 10:29 AM
                  • Reply to Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
                    You'll need to sell your existing home in order to avoid it. Details can be found online about how it works in circumstances where the sale of your existing home isn't exactly contemporaneous with the purchase of the new one. "Replacement of main residence" or some such is the term used.
                    23-05-2019, 08:14 AM
                  • legal fees offsett my rental income ?
                    Hi all , i had some legal fees to pay which were about 1,500 , which were due to the fact that the tenant was suing me over the deposit, and i also had some legal fees in respect of tracing the tenants arrears . I did wonder if i may offest this against my rental income on my tax return (which was...
                    21-05-2019, 20:23 PM
                  • Reply to legal fees offsett my rental income ?
                    Thank-you Jpeaks much appreciated its very good to know that now...
                    22-05-2019, 17:10 PM
                  • Capital gains tax and tax credits
                    hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
                    17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
                  • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
                    Thanks jon i think i understand this - just - ive about 2 yrs when the property was occupied my myself and children and purchase price was 34,000 , sold for 70,000 still under a mortgage which we ignore i guess plus had new windows and boiler in and of course solicitors and estage agents fees , its...
                    22-05-2019, 17:08 PM
                  • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
                    I forgot to add that there is no capital limit for tax credit purposes, which is why you do not need to declare the capital for tax credit purposes!
                    22-05-2019, 15:50 PM