Claiming expenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming expenses

Im doing a 'clean up' after a tenant has left. we are going down in a relatives car and getting train back (2people staying over one going back )
    i am also purchasing a whole load of cleaning stuff
    I have told the family member driver i will pay for petrol and im purchasing train tickets for the return for the 2 people
    1. Can i claim the petrol money and the train tickets as expenses? train is 21 pound each person - petrol is 30
    2. Can i also claim the cleaning things on my tax return.?
    3. I have also said i will buy them lunch for helping , can i claim this too ?

I dont live near the property it is a long way and i dont drive myslef and dont have a car
    Im guessing I can as we have in the past paid a guy to clean carpets and and sent a clean team

i think my cleaning things on their own will be at least 20 pounds -

AFAIK the LL alone can claim 40p/ml + 1 night in a budget hotel/B+B.on Tax Return.
    Reasonable cost of cleaning materials should not be a problem.
    Recalculate your expected return vs promises made.

Comment

Probably better in the tax forum.

Mileage and cleaning products can be claimed of course. I’m not sure about train tickets though...

Comment

The incurred cost of "clean up" can be charged as expenses against your rental property income and includes :

1. Mileage allowance for petrol + car operating expenses ( road tax + insurance etc calculated at 45p per mile.) plus train tickets .

2. Cost of cleaning materials . Don't forget the silicone bath sealant for filling gap between bath and wall.

3. Actual cost of meals taken ( keep the receipts ) up to limit of £15/day if the time away from home is over 15 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
          AFAIK the LL alone can claim 40p/ml + 1 night in a budget hotel/B+B.on Tax Return.
          45p per mile + 5p per passenger.
          I stay and claim for a 4 star hotel for however long it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post

3. Actual cost of meals taken up to limit of £15/day
            Where do you get £15/day from? I thought it was the 'reasonable' actual costs not 'frugal' costs.

Comment

I saw the figure of "£5 for meal allowance" quoted in HMRC Bulletin. But I think I may be mistaken because it showed a HMRC rate for companies paying their employees for meals taken during work beyond normal work hours.

In Alice123's situation, the expenses are incurred by persons travelling to do "unpaid work" at a BTL property.

So if Alice decides the expenses are reasonably incurred to bring the property back to good service condition before next tenant moves in , then those costs can be charged against the rental income.

Comment

The HMRC position is that people eat whether or not they are working. The allowances are intended to cover the excess costs due to not being able to do home cooking, although they are actually generous, in that nothing is taken off for the nominal cost of the home prepared food.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can you claim expenses for furniture ?
                  craig2222
                  I am renting my house furnished.Can I claim the expenses on my tax return whatever I spend on furniture ? Thanks...
                  05-10-2018, 20:16 PM
                • Reply to Can you claim expenses for furniture ?
                  tatemono
                  clear as mud then. The "isn't a deductable item" could be referring to revenue expenses, and what business of their is it to use modal verbs like "might" in a document that we have to rely on. Honestly.

Gordon999 do you have a ref for your first statement that is more...
                  19-10-2018, 13:56 PM
                  Gordon999
                  Not available for property covered by AST letting.

But when property is operating as Furnished Holiday Lets, there is CGT relief for initial furniture and furnishings.
                  19-10-2018, 12:23 PM
                  DPT57
                  The guide just gives these as examples of capital expenditure and goes on to say "you might be able to set them against Capital Gains Tax if you sell the property in the future". A bit later in the 'From 2016' section it says "The initial cost of purchasing domestic items for a dwelling...
                  19-10-2018, 11:02 AM
                • expenses claim
                  DanandSarah
                  Hi everyone. new here and a new landlord!

I work full time and do regular overtime. after saving i've managed to get as deposit together for a buy to let as an investment.

i have a weird question about expenses tho.

if in the first year if my property hasn't broken...
                  12-10-2018, 16:37 PM
                • Reply to expenses claim
                  DPT57
                  It also sounds like you need to learn the difference between revenue items, capital items and non-claimable items and how they are treated
                  19-10-2018, 10:08 AM
                  tatemono
                  According to the guide I linked to, they are:...
                  18-10-2018, 09:15 AM
                • Boiler repair before first tenancy
                  Pandy7370
                  Hi,

We have recently relocated to a new main residence and have let out our previous house/home.

The boiler in the house was old and had become very temperamental, and whilst we put up with luke warm water intermittently when we lived there it clearly wouldn’t be acceptable...
                  17-10-2018, 15:43 PM
                • Reply to Boiler repair before first tenancy
                  jpkeates
                  Strictly speaking it fails the test.

What I would do personally is claim it and deduct £200 for the use you had of it. You date the expense the first day of the first tenancy and hope nobody even looks at it.

Don’t mention the deduction, just put the figure on the return....
                  17-10-2018, 17:25 PM
                  DPT57
                  I don't think that the initial cost of furnishing a rental property is claimable against CGT. I think its only replacements against revenue income.
                  17-10-2018, 10:01 AM
                Working...
                X