Day Job Travel Expenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Job Travel Expenses

Hi, I do a self assessment as I have a rental property but also have a day job. As kids older, I took on extra hours which means travelling between sites. I get this money back from my employer; think it's 45p per mile. I get taxed on this amount and wonder if it's possible to get a tax rebate on this. Last tax year, I got about £500 over my salary as travelling expenses. This figure is lumped together onto my salary in my P60.

Whether or not you are submitting a return for other reasons doesn't affect your duty to notify income or your right to claim refunds.

The fact that the employer is taxing the travelling expenses means they believe they are treated as commuting expenses to normal places of work. If you dispute this, you need to sort this out with the payroll department, rather than HMRC, as I suspect that HMRC will believe the employer.

Comment

The travelling isn't part of your property business so you can't try and claim the expense as part of that business.

It's odd that the cost is taxed at all (companies rarely pay for commuting), and normally the expense would be tax free, because it's compensation for a cost, and HMRC has rates that companies can pay without being taxed.

I'd actually question why your company is adding the reimbursement to your salary, because that sounds odd to me.
      It's been a few years since I was involved in a company pay roll and things may have changed.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What kind of job requires you to travel between sites for your company ?

If you get 45p per mile travel allowance , it is an expenses and should be paid direct into your bank account.

Travel allowance is for using your car on company business and any payment is not counted as part of your pay

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• transfer title or deed of trust regarding CGT reduction
          neilm
          Hi All
          I am selling a BTL which is currently in my name only. In order to reduce the CGT would I need to transfer the title to include my wife or would a deed of trust suffice?
          08-02-2019, 09:32 AM
        • Reply to transfer title or deed of trust regarding CGT reduction
          Kape65
          So is it possible to use a dot to transfer beneficial ownership to ones spouse who is not named on the legal title? I was under the impression that this couldn't be done. Would the mortgage company not block such a thing?
          21-03-2019, 23:08 PM
          jpkeates
          There are a number of different types of trust.

One that owns property usually has to be formally recorded with HMRC as a separate entity and has to submit its own tax return annually.
          A simple trust to change the beneficial ownership is a different type of trust, which simply requires...
          20-03-2019, 15:35 PM
        • Repairs to property and tax
          themanlike
          Hi there,

I am new, but have been referred here as a good place to get advice on everything Landlord related.

Does anyone have any advice on the below, please?

I and two others own a leasehold flat each in a converted building (big house)
          We are also directors...
          20-03-2019, 11:31 AM
        • Reply to Repairs to property and tax
          themanlike
          Thank you, that provides more clarity - appreciate it. I will review my lease and come back with further info.

Many thanks
          20-03-2019, 14:12 PM
          leaseholder64
          With a normal lease, the money would not appear on the company balance sheet, so would not be visible to Companies House. It would be held under a statutory trust (L&T 1978 s42) and any interest would be taxed at discretionary trust rates (currently nil where the the tax would otherwise be less...
          20-03-2019, 14:04 PM
          themanlike
          Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

Let me correct myself when I say nominal - that number is calculated based on long terms works that need doing on the property (painting in the communal areas), and ongoing maintenance (gardener, cleaner - for communal areas). We never keep...
          20-03-2019, 13:27 PM
          AndrewDod
          There is no such law or rule in general (for example with a DoT giving beneficial ownership to my child).

Indeed such a rule would make no sense since one can have only four trustees, but many more owners than that. The ruling relates to ownership (which the DoT is). What is the case is...
          20-03-2019, 12:54 PM
          leaseholder64
          I think you have rather more problems than just tax!

You cannot charge a nominal service charge. The service charge needs to be based on realistic estimates of the cost of doing those things that the the lease requires the freeholder to do, and under and overestimates should be corrected...
          20-03-2019, 12:05 PM
          Little Rabbit
          Gordon999. Sorry, I am on my phone and struggling to copy and paste from your post above. But where is your source please to say that HMRC want to see both spouses' names on the title before they will accept a DoT which varies the distribution of rental income? I can't see anything which says this...
          20-03-2019, 09:22 AM
        Working...
        X