Day Job Travel Expenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Job Travel Expenses

Hi, I do a self assessment as I have a rental property but also have a day job. As kids older, I took on extra hours which means travelling between sites. I get this money back from my employer; think it's 45p per mile. I get taxed on this amount and wonder if it's possible to get a tax rebate on this. Last tax year, I got about £500 over my salary as travelling expenses. This figure is lumped together onto my salary in my P60.

Whether or not you are submitting a return for other reasons doesn't affect your duty to notify income or your right to claim refunds.

The fact that the employer is taxing the travelling expenses means they believe they are treated as commuting expenses to normal places of work. If you dispute this, you need to sort this out with the payroll department, rather than HMRC, as I suspect that HMRC will believe the employer.

Comment

The travelling isn't part of your property business so you can't try and claim the expense as part of that business.

It's odd that the cost is taxed at all (companies rarely pay for commuting), and normally the expense would be tax free, because it's compensation for a cost, and HMRC has rates that companies can pay without being taxed.

I'd actually question why your company is adding the reimbursement to your salary, because that sounds odd to me.
      It's been a few years since I was involved in a company pay roll and things may have changed.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What kind of job requires you to travel between sites for your company ?

If you get 45p per mile travel allowance , it is an expenses and should be paid direct into your bank account.

Travel allowance is for using your car on company business and any payment is not counted as part of your pay

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X