Day Job Travel Expenses

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Day Job Travel Expenses

    Hi, I do a self assessment as I have a rental property but also have a day job. As kids older, I took on extra hours which means travelling between sites. I get this money back from my employer; think it's 45p per mile. I get taxed on this amount and wonder if it's possible to get a tax rebate on this. Last tax year, I got about £500 over my salary as travelling expenses. This figure is lumped together onto my salary in my P60.

    Whether or not you are submitting a return for other reasons doesn't affect your duty to notify income or your right to claim refunds.

    The fact that the employer is taxing the travelling expenses means they believe they are treated as commuting expenses to normal places of work. If you dispute this, you need to sort this out with the payroll department, rather than HMRC, as I suspect that HMRC will believe the employer.


      The travelling isn't part of your property business so you can't try and claim the expense as part of that business.

      It's odd that the cost is taxed at all (companies rarely pay for commuting), and normally the expense would be tax free, because it's compensation for a cost, and HMRC has rates that companies can pay without being taxed.

      I'd actually question why your company is adding the reimbursement to your salary, because that sounds odd to me.
      It's been a few years since I was involved in a company pay roll and things may have changed.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        What kind of job requires you to travel between sites for your company ?

        If you get 45p per mile travel allowance , it is an expenses and should be paid direct into your bank account.

        Travel allowance is for using your car on company business and any payment is not counted as part of your pay


        Latest Activity


        • Will I pay stamp duty?
          So i was hoping for some good advice.

          Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a house together, the problem is i already have a house of my own which i am renting out on a BTL mortgage. So if i buy a house with my girlfriend that will be my second home, but her only home.

          18-05-2019, 16:02 PM
        • Reply to Will I pay stamp duty?
          There are a minority of lenders who will accept one person being on the Title but with two persons on the mortgage in order support the affordability , otherwise You cannot circumvent the SDLT premium in the second property is in joint names.
          18-05-2019, 21:34 PM
        • Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
          Hi there

          i am one of four directors of a company that owns the freehold of the four flats in our house.

          one of the owners is selling and wants to extend the lease as its dropped to 67 years. I realise now we should have done 999 leases as soon as we bought the freehold but...
          14-05-2019, 10:12 AM
        • Reply to Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
          Thanks - it would be our preference to renew them all at the same but unfortunately the seller is pushing us as their buyer is threatening to pull out.

          We now have differing advice over whether we will be liable to pay tax on the assumed financial benefit of the extended lease at no cost....
          17-05-2019, 16:27 PM
        • Capital gains tax and tax credits
          hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
          17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
        • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
          update - ive been onto the tax credits for the past hour and they are saying not to inclue unless im re-investing or making money from the capital gains
          17-05-2019, 16:16 PM
        • Is this legal?
          Hi all, I am completely new to this so wanted to get some informal advice. I currently jointly own a freehold property in London (with my sister that lives in the US) that I inherited from my mother many years ago. I do not live in the house, not does my sister; until now, the entire property was let...
          15-05-2019, 22:04 PM
        • Reply to Is this legal?
          It's permitted, but is obviously designed to evade tax. You need to declare the income you receive from your son - and pay tax on it. What is he going to pay over to you - the full rent or more than he has actually received? For £1500 this is a lot of complications and your son becomes a landlord with...
          17-05-2019, 09:56 AM
        • Reply to Is this legal?
          Your son is basically renting the property from you, so he can deduct the rent he pays you from his income, so you don’t end up paying tax twice.
          17-05-2019, 07:21 AM
        • Reply to Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
          If the freehold title is owned by external party, then the external "freeholder" would charge each leaseholder for lease extension.

          If the freehold company is owned by the 4 leaseholders, the members of the freehold company can agree to extend all flats together to 999...
          17-05-2019, 05:49 AM