Can you claim expenses for furniture ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you claim expenses for furniture ?

I am renting my house furnished.Can I claim the expenses on my tax return whatever I spend on furniture ? Thanks

If you mean claiming for replacing furniture already in there on your annual tax return, then it has to be of the same (or lesser) quality.
    i.e, you can't replace a £50 Ikea **** pile rug for an antique £5K Persian Nain and claim.

Apologies if I've misread but you seem to be testing just how far you can push the boundaries with HMRC.

As a guide, when I think about 'pushing' it, I ask myself how I'd feel justifying an expense under a full blown tax investigation lasting months. Guilty until proven innocent rules with potential for jail time.

I know blokes who's lives have been wrecked by it, some of them definitely not guilty.

Edit:
    Ha! Ha! I've just been moderated for mentioning a type of rug that was popular for copulating on in the 70's.

Comment

You can claim the cost of replacement items but not the initial purchase cost.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
        Ha! Ha! I've just been moderated for mentioning a type of rug that was popular for copulating on in the 70's.
        I've noticed over-enthusiastic filters a couple of times here. It's known as the Scunthorpe problem.

Comment

try reading the rules:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-t...come#dom-items

Comment

Hi the house was empty and I've bought second hand furniture , a new fridge freezer, total cost around 400 pound.Pushing hmrc ? ,I'm just asking if I could claim what I have genuinely purchased.

Comment

If you can claim it, it would be against capital gains tax, when you eventually sell, not against income tax, I would have assumed.

Comment

Originally posted by craig2222 View Post
                Hi the house was empty and I've bought second hand furniture , a new fridge freezer, total cost around 400 pound.Pushing hmrc ? ,I'm just asking if I could claim what I have genuinely purchased.
                Not against income you can't.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

as I said... read the rules. It's clear from the guidelines that you can't claim them against income. Those are capital expenditures.

Comment

I don't think that the initial cost of furnishing a rental property is claimable against CGT. I think its only replacements against revenue income.

Comment

According to the guide I linked to, they are:

Expenses are generally ‘capital expenses’ if they will be used in the business over a longer period of time, such as when you:
                      • add something to the property that wasn’t there before
                      • alter, improve or upgrade something that was existing
                      • include the purchase of furnishings and equipment for the property

Comment

The guide just gives these as examples of capital expenditure and goes on to say "you might be able to set them against Capital Gains Tax if you sell the property in the future". A bit later in the 'From 2016' section it says "The initial cost of purchasing domestic items for a dwelling house isn’t a deductible expense so no relief is available for these costs. Relief is only available for the replacement item."

Its my understanding that CGT relief is not available for initial furnishing cost and indeed this is what I was told by HMRC a year or so ago.

Comment

Not available for property covered by AST letting.

But when property is operating as Furnished Holiday Lets, there is CGT relief for initial furniture and furnishings.

Comment

clear as mud then. The "isn't a deductable item" could be referring to revenue expenses, and what business of their is it to use modal verbs like "might" in a document that we have to rely on. Honestly.

Gordon999 do you have a ref for your first statement that is more solid than the doc we're quoting from?

Comment

Tatemono,

I suggest you download the Property Notes for HMRC Tax Form SA105-2018 . and read the Sections which explain box 35 and 36

https://assets.publishing.service.go...Notes-2018.pdf

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X