Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?

I currently earn £25000 from my job.I have 2 rental properties that bring in £12480 per year.I am thinking about buying another that would bring the total to £18720. £18720 plus £25000 is £43720. I'm I right in thinking as long as I am below the £46000 higher tax bracket I am OK and the new tax changes won't affect me ?

I think your assessed Tax Band is the key, not your Income, which can vary. eg Benefit in Kind, net profit from property etc
    Govt can easily alter qualifying Income.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Adding wife to BTL property
      ringzer
      In 2005 I bought a BTL property in London with an outstanding mortgage of ~£150,000 and a current market value of ~ £500,000. The apartment has never been lived in by me and my name alone is on the title deeds and mortgage.

I would like to add my wife to the property, either 1) title...
      18-02-2019, 17:37 PM
    • Reply to Adding wife to BTL property
      Kape65
      I always believed that a DOT was used because normal ownership of tenant in common property was automatically registered as 50/50 split when the true ownership may have been different i.e wife has put more money in or such. Surely to transfer a percentage to your wife and then use a DOT to claim that...
      19-02-2019, 15:24 PM
      jpkeates
      Where property is owned as tenancy in common, the default presumption is that each tenant owns the property in equal proportions.
      But that doesn't have to be the case, the ownership can be shared in specified proportions, so 1% and 99%, or 60%:40% are possible.

That split would normally...
      19-02-2019, 13:51 PM
      Gordon999
      I think the solicitor may arrange a sale contract of 25% share in property from H ( seller ) to W ( Buyer ) at Nil price . but the Tax Office will say the consideration is 25% of mortgage loan for calculation the sdlt to pay.

After the property is registered under the names of H&W (...
      19-02-2019, 13:30 PM
      Kape65
      Is this possible (genuine question)? I understand the tenants in common bit but I thought you then needed a declaration of trust in order to change the proportions....
      19-02-2019, 13:04 PM
      Gordon999
      Option 2 is not available because you have a mortgage loan ( in sole name ) secured by the mortgage lender taking a charge on the property title. This means any change to the property title requires consent by the mortgage lender.

You can transfer by gifting a 25% share in the property...
      19-02-2019, 11:55 AM
      jpkeates
      Tenants in common - which allows each person to own a defined share of a property.
      You can transfer 1% of a property to someone (at the value of 1% of the total property value at the time).

Totally agree about the mortgage lender....
      19-02-2019, 10:44 AM
      Kape65
      This intrigues me, how do you transfer a small part of title? I know you can split beneficial ownership of jointly held property but how do you transfer a small part of title prior to changing beneficial ownership.

I'm not sure your mortgage company will allow a transfer of title only,...
      19-02-2019, 10:41 AM
      jpkeates
      You can transfer a small part of the property to your wife, not necessarily half.
      That can minimise the SDLT (or remove it altogether).

Then you use a deed of trust to adjust the beneficial ownership to the desired percentage (notified to HMRC using Form 17).

It's something...
      19-02-2019, 09:52 AM
    • Trying to move away from using an accountant, and handle my own tax return.
      BobbosHandle
      Dear all,
      I'm a landlord with one property.

I'm paying an accountant about £600 p/a to take care of my self-assessment tax return. I would like to do it myself and save some cash.

I'm sure I could get most of it right, but I'm anxious not to draw the gaze of inland revenue...
      18-02-2019, 17:24 PM
    Working...
    X