Banana Skin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banana Skin

I feel I have messed up my life. Despite working hard, I have landed on a banana skin.

I bought a 3 bedroom house many years ago. It seemed like a nice area. Little did I know, nearby the local housing associations had housed the thugs like the Kray twins and their chums. It was a "problem area". Very dangerous. It was not so apparent, because it did not have a 'reputation' and it looked like a nice neighbourhood.

I had to leave that house for my own safety and I rented it out. Looking back, this was my greatest mistake. As the house value has gone up a lot. If I sell today, I will have to pay capital gains tax. After paying the tax, I can only afford to buy a 1.5 bedroom home. I have lost a 3 bedroom home.

I feel angry at the tax system. We pay welfare, but people can behave like animals and take over the local area.

I cant use the rental money from my 3 bedroom house, to rent out another 3 bedroom house, as I have to pay tax on the rent I receive.

I have been living in a small flat elsewhere for many years. I feel cheated in life, as the flat does not have a garden and I just crave a good barbecue.....

Be thankful there is an increase to pay CGT on.

I bought a flat in Torquay in 2005 for £185k. Someone turned the bungalow next door into a house, wiping out my sea views and about £60k of value. It has now been for sale for £175k for a month without a sniff.

Presumably your rental income more than covers the house mortgage payments, doesn't it? Therefore add the profit onto what you are paying for your flat, and surely you could afford a house?

Comment

If you quote some details : we can work out roughly the cgt.

When you bought the property and the price paid
      Dates when you lived in the property.
      Market value now .

Comment

CGT is only 18% (28 If you earn a lot). You still get 82% of any increase in value.
        Plus the rental income.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You will also get Letting Relief and Private Residence Relief and your personal Annual Allowance for CGT. Your bill maybe a lot less than you think.

Comment

Flashback1996,

There is quite a bit which doesn't make sense to me about your post:
            • Inner London always has had a mix of tenures and socio-economic classes living cheek-by-jowel with each other (in some ways it's one of the great things about it), and the the East End (I assume this is the area given you mention the Kray twins) even more than most. Did you really buy a house without knowing this?
            • You had to leave the house "for your own safety" -- come on, this is surely a bit melodramatic: yes the East End used to be a very poor area, and still is poor beyond superficial pockets of gentrification, but plenty of people have always lived there, mostly without coming to any particular harm.
            • Despite it being impossible for you to live there for safety reasons, you seem to have been perfectly happy to rent the property out and let your tenants live there. Did your tenants used to frequently come to harm?
            • The capital gains tax bill will, at most, be 28% of the gain (minus some for the time you lived there, minus some more if you owned it pre-1982). I cannot quite believe this bill has the impact you claim on your future options.
            • If the area has changed and you want a 3-bedroom house, why not just move into it now?
            • You were never guaranteed any capital gain on this property, and assuming it is in the East End then the capital gain will have been far more than you might have reasonably expected when you purchased it. As such, you could never have sensibly banked on this money being forthcoming.
            • Eventually having to pay CGT was surely entirely forseeable from the moment you started letting the property out.
            • In general, I have very little sympathy for anyone moaning about having to pay a big capital gains tax bill, as you only face one if you've been lucky enough to make a whopping great capital gain (a similar rationale applies to people moaning about having to pay most other types of taxes, of course).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Let Property Campaign and past experience
              JazzApples
              Hi,
              The ex-wife and I had a couple of rental properties which we've rented out for the past 2.5 years. The initial intention was to use the properties as an investment for the future, but we divorced after a year and never put our tax affairs in order. After the divorce, I wanted to declare the...
              17-08-2018, 16:19 PM
            • Reply to Let Property Campaign and past experience
              jpkeates
              First of all, I'd give your wife a heads up that she's about to get "done" if she doesn't already know.
              I'd guess she's received the same letter, but you never know.

I'd use an accountant. Find one that's done this kind of thing before.
              They'll know what the standard...
              18-08-2018, 08:24 AM
            • Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
              Juliaabc
              Hi everyone. Never posted before because had nothing to add, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions or pointers before I start having to pay costs to set this up.

My query is this: I have a mortgaged property which has a consent to let agreed upon it. The property...
              14-08-2018, 16:03 PM
            • Reply to Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
              jpkeates
              Some landlords pay tax via PAYE with HMRC approval.

Most landlords aren't "self employed", even if they complete a self assessment annually....
              18-08-2018, 08:16 AM
              g373
              Hi again

I overlooked the fact that your profit was £20k per year so the tax and fine may be bigger. Was there a mortgage on these properties?

however, there may still be time register for self assessment for the 2017/18 tax year meaning there would be no fine for that year....
              18-08-2018, 05:57 AM
              JazzApples
              g373,
              Thanks for the information. I'm a basic rate tax payer and there were a few months of the property being empty, so will see on the fine.

Did you process the tax documents and submit yourself or use an accountant? From what I've see so far, it's mostly a matter of diligent record...
              17-08-2018, 21:09 PM
              theartfullodger
              Oh right, "Child Benefit" isn't a benefit then......
              17-08-2018, 20:39 PM
              AndrewDod
              Artful -- in casual conversation when most folk talk about benefits they are not talking about your "old age" pension "earned" mostly via paying national insurance contributions and tax (albeit not related to the quantity of that tax). Nor are they talking about the NHS, child benefit,...
              17-08-2018, 19:26 PM
              theartfullodger
              Hmmmnnnn About half of the benefit spend goes on old people, like me. And, btw, the state pension keeps increasing very nicely thank you unlike, say, UC or JSA or ESA..

I start by cutting farming subsidies (did no harm in NZ..) and the sovereign grant....

Cheers!
              17-08-2018, 19:17 PM
            • CGT Holiday rental
              splodge2001
              I am thinking of switching my rental property from BTL to holiday let.

If I let it for a year as a holiday let will I qualify for 10% CGT?...
              17-08-2018, 13:16 PM
            Working...
            X