Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmmlee
    started a topic Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?

Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?

Hi there. I live in a Victorian property which has been divided into 5 flats.
    Several years ago, three of the flat owners (including myself) purchased the freehold. The two remaining flat owners decided that they would not participate in the freehold purchase.
    A company was formed for the three freeholders. This company collects ground rent from the two leaseholders who are not freeholders. We submit accounts to companies house on an annual basis etc.

Recently one of the two leaseholders (who are not freeholders) decided that they wanted to extend their lease. The original lease was for 99 years. The remaining term on their original lease was 66 years.
    The lease extension was granted for 99 years at a peppercorn rent. A new lease was drafted under the same terms as before (apart from the peppercorn ground rent).
    The leaseholder paid a substantial premium to the freehold company for granting the lease extension.

Before we divide the premium between the three freeholders, my question is - are we (as the freehold company or as individuals) liable for any tax on this premium that was paid?
    I would be very grateful for any assistance.

• Gordon999
    replied
    Normally the freehold company will report the income received from lease extension as "annual profit" in its annual acounts which are produced after the year end.

The profit will be reported in the tax return and about 13 months later the company get a tax bill of around 20%. The remaining 80% of profit can be retained by the company or paid out as dividend to its 3 shareholders.

For tax year 2018/2019, there is a dividend allowance of £2000 per person which is Nil tax. Any excess amount above £2000 paid in dividend is charged at 7% ( Lower tax band ) or 32% ( higher tax band )

If the freehold company acts as a "nominee buyer company" , the profit from lease extension belongs to the 3 freeholders ( not company ) and the 3 freeholders report one third profit on their own tax return ,

Your accountant will advise you which situation applies.

Leave a comment:

• hmmlee
    replied
    Thank you very much for your response - I appreciate any assistance.
    The only trouble is that there are two companies involved (I should have mentioned this previously!)
    One company is the freehold company (representing the interests of the freeholders - collecting ground rent, leasehold extensions etc).
    The second company is the leasehold company - this company includes all of the 5 leaseholders (including the 3 freeholders who are of course also leaseholders). This company is used for the day to day running of the property - collecting service charges, buildings insurance, property maintenance etc.
    I'm guessing this would alter your initial suggestion? As of course the service charges are dealt with by the leasehold company.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I'd leave the money in the company, and relieve the directors of paying service charge until such time as the cash is depleted.

Leave a comment:

• hmmlee
    replied
    Thanks. We acted as a limited company in order to process the lease extension. The limited company comprises the three freeholders..

Leave a comment:

• Flashback1966
    replied
    Was the lease bought in your personal names or in a limited company?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Second payment on account
    dotcotton999
    Hello all,

After paying my 2017/18 tax bill I was asked to pay the first payment on account for 2018/19. The first payment was due by the 31st July 2019. This payment goes towards my future tax bill.

I paid that money owed by the deadline but it hasn’t reduced my 2018/19...
    02-08-2019, 05:58 AM
  • Reply to Second payment on account
    dotcotton999
    I telephoned HMRC... they said usually the amounts are worked out automatically but there had been issues with some accounts because payments on account hadn’t been generated correctly by them

thanks for all the assistance...
    17-09-2019, 19:46 PM
    Gordon999
    If you make your tax return online, then you can check the "statement " section showing your payments made to tax office against your own bank statements.
    17-09-2019, 00:01 AM
    dotcotton999
    There’s me thinking it’s called self assessment...
    16-09-2019, 19:28 PM
  • Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
    Edgarina
    I am a higher rate tax payer and my wife is not. I have removed myself from the mortgages of the two buy to let properties we have jointly owned and all the proceeds of the properties are now going into an account in my wife's name. Is this enough so I am no longer liable to pay tax on the income from...
    07-09-2019, 13:40 PM
  • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
    Kape65
    With legislation on linked transactions I would suggest their would be a SDLT liability dependent on the mortgage value transferred. If the joint value amounted to £40k or more then 3% would be payable on the entire amount.
    16-09-2019, 18:58 PM
  • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
    Edgarina
    Hi,

The property value is about 55k each so no stamp duty, the bank had no issues at and didn't even mention it but of course I said I was coning off the deeds too and its via the banks (very expensive solicitors).

I have had an opinion from an accountant and yes it looks like...
    16-09-2019, 16:13 PM
    OneSmallStep
    I think if I had a £200K tax bill, then my accountant should really be earning their money and explaining in detail how my liability is calculated....
    16-09-2019, 10:37 AM
  • house to flats tax implication
    halfax
    i have a large house which i have rented for 18 years and i am considering turning into 3 flats. would i be able to sell as a develope (treated as a trader) when the flats are completed?
    would it be a capital gain or would i be able to move them into a company just paying stamp duty
    15-09-2019, 10:51 AM
  • Reply to house to flats tax implication
    Gordon999
    If you sell the house to a company, you would be liable for capital gains tax on the calculated capital gain ( = sale proceeds minus original cost ) at 18% or 28%. But you can claim personal capital gains allowance of about £12K. The company has to pay sdlt.

If you convert the house and...
    15-09-2019, 17:38 PM
Working...
X