Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?

Hi there. I live in a Victorian property which has been divided into 5 flats.
    Several years ago, three of the flat owners (including myself) purchased the freehold. The two remaining flat owners decided that they would not participate in the freehold purchase.
    A company was formed for the three freeholders. This company collects ground rent from the two leaseholders who are not freeholders. We submit accounts to companies house on an annual basis etc.

Recently one of the two leaseholders (who are not freeholders) decided that they wanted to extend their lease. The original lease was for 99 years. The remaining term on their original lease was 66 years.
    The lease extension was granted for 99 years at a peppercorn rent. A new lease was drafted under the same terms as before (apart from the peppercorn ground rent).
    The leaseholder paid a substantial premium to the freehold company for granting the lease extension.

Before we divide the premium between the three freeholders, my question is - are we (as the freehold company or as individuals) liable for any tax on this premium that was paid?
    I would be very grateful for any assistance.

Was the lease bought in your personal names or in a limited company?

Comment

Thanks. We acted as a limited company in order to process the lease extension. The limited company comprises the three freeholders..

Comment

I'd leave the money in the company, and relieve the directors of paying service charge until such time as the cash is depleted.

Comment

Thank you very much for your response - I appreciate any assistance.
          The only trouble is that there are two companies involved (I should have mentioned this previously!)
          One company is the freehold company (representing the interests of the freeholders - collecting ground rent, leasehold extensions etc).
          The second company is the leasehold company - this company includes all of the 5 leaseholders (including the 3 freeholders who are of course also leaseholders). This company is used for the day to day running of the property - collecting service charges, buildings insurance, property maintenance etc.
          I'm guessing this would alter your initial suggestion? As of course the service charges are dealt with by the leasehold company.

Comment

Normally the freehold company will report the income received from lease extension as "annual profit" in its annual acounts which are produced after the year end.

The profit will be reported in the tax return and about 13 months later the company get a tax bill of around 20%. The remaining 80% of profit can be retained by the company or paid out as dividend to its 3 shareholders.

For tax year 2018/2019, there is a dividend allowance of £2000 per person which is Nil tax. Any excess amount above £2000 paid in dividend is charged at 7% ( Lower tax band ) or 32% ( higher tax band )

If the freehold company acts as a "nominee buyer company" , the profit from lease extension belongs to the 3 freeholders ( not company ) and the 3 freeholders report one third profit on their own tax return ,

Your accountant will advise you which situation applies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Let Property Campaign and past experience
              JazzApples
              Hi,
              The ex-wife and I had a couple of rental properties which we've rented out for the past 2.5 years. The initial intention was to use the properties as an investment for the future, but we divorced after a year and never put our tax affairs in order. After the divorce, I wanted to declare the...
              17-08-2018, 16:19 PM
            • Reply to Let Property Campaign and past experience
              jpkeates
              First of all, I'd give your wife a heads up that she's about to get "done" if she doesn't already know.
              I'd guess she's received the same letter, but you never know.

I'd use an accountant. Find one that's done this kind of thing before.
              They'll know what the standard...
              18-08-2018, 08:24 AM
            • Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
              Juliaabc
              Hi everyone. Never posted before because had nothing to add, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions or pointers before I start having to pay costs to set this up.

My query is this: I have a mortgaged property which has a consent to let agreed upon it. The property...
              14-08-2018, 16:03 PM
            • Reply to Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
              jpkeates
              Some landlords pay tax via PAYE with HMRC approval.

Most landlords aren't "self employed", even if they complete a self assessment annually....
              18-08-2018, 08:16 AM
              g373
              Hi again

I overlooked the fact that your profit was £20k per year so the tax and fine may be bigger. Was there a mortgage on these properties?

however, there may still be time register for self assessment for the 2017/18 tax year meaning there would be no fine for that year....
              18-08-2018, 05:57 AM
              JazzApples
              g373,
              Thanks for the information. I'm a basic rate tax payer and there were a few months of the property being empty, so will see on the fine.

Did you process the tax documents and submit yourself or use an accountant? From what I've see so far, it's mostly a matter of diligent record...
              17-08-2018, 21:09 PM
              theartfullodger
              Oh right, "Child Benefit" isn't a benefit then......
              17-08-2018, 20:39 PM
              AndrewDod
              Artful -- in casual conversation when most folk talk about benefits they are not talking about your "old age" pension "earned" mostly via paying national insurance contributions and tax (albeit not related to the quantity of that tax). Nor are they talking about the NHS, child benefit,...
              17-08-2018, 19:26 PM
              theartfullodger
              Hmmmnnnn About half of the benefit spend goes on old people, like me. And, btw, the state pension keeps increasing very nicely thank you unlike, say, UC or JSA or ESA..

I start by cutting farming subsidies (did no harm in NZ..) and the sovereign grant....

Cheers!
              17-08-2018, 19:17 PM
            • CGT Holiday rental
              splodge2001
              I am thinking of switching my rental property from BTL to holiday let.

If I let it for a year as a holiday let will I qualify for 10% CGT?...
              17-08-2018, 13:16 PM
            Working...
            X