Furnished Holiday Let - Tax Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furnished Holiday Let - Tax Questions

Hi I have a property that I'm letting through a short term holiday letting company. All seems good so far, but can someone let me know how the tax works on this? Its located in Brighton if that makes a difference?

Also as this is a "furnished Holiday Let" what can I get away with in terms of mortgage interest, initial costs to furnish the place etc.

Thanks,

ChaseNRainbows

Best to phone in and ask a tax inspector.

But, I believe the position includes:
    • To get any tax relief, the property has to be available to let for at least 210 days each tax year and actually let at least 105 days each tax year.
      if property is bought part-way through a tax year, then the above must apply for the 12 months from when it is purchassed (or maybe from when first let)
    • Finance costs are fully deductible.
    • Capital allowances are available.
    Read PIM (property income manual https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...-income-manual).
    All of it is relevant, but PIM4100 has rules that apply only to furnished holiday lets.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't take advice from HMRC, a) the people manning the phone aren't qualifies and b) it's like taking legal advice from the police about a criminal matter.

You need to sit down and talk it through with an accountant in some detail (I'd imagine Brighton has quite a lot of them with experience in this field).
      You should look carefully at mortgages as they're not the same as BTL lending.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        Personally, I wouldn't take advice from HMRC, a) the people manning the phone aren't qualifies and b) it's like taking legal advice from the police about a criminal matter..
        1. You speak to a tax inspector, not the person that answers the phone (phone your own tax office, or the one local to you).
        2. Get the tax inspector to put the advice in writing to you.

I have done this several times.
        Once I was given unsolicited information that allowed me to claim about £3000 a year deductions on holiday lets of a caravan.

Which reminds me: losses on furnished holiday lets can be offset against other income (unlike losses on residential lettings).

Comment

BBC Moneybox today suggested new rules in Oct will require LL to spend min 1 night in holiday Let to gain any tax advantage for duration of Let.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
            Gooders
            If you receive cashback when taking out a buy to let mortgage do you have to declare this as income and will it incur tax?
            14-11-2018, 15:49 PM
          • Reply to mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
            Gooders
            Great so no need to declare it on my tax return?
            14-11-2018, 16:33 PM
          • Reply to mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
            loanarranger
            Most lenders who offer a modest cash back do so to enable the borrower to use , if they wish, as a payment towards the basic legal costs instead of offering Free Basic Legal Fees or towards the cost of a valuation, so no it doesn’t have to be declared to HMRC as income , and remember such freebies...
            14-11-2018, 16:29 PM
          • Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
            gmhmo
            Hello,

I purchased a property in 2009 for £115k (and spent around £20k on improvements) and I’m thinking about selling it early 2019 for £300k.
            I’d expected an approx. £40k CGT bill, but now I’m not so sure and could really do with some high level pointers or peace of mind either way....
            11-11-2018, 18:01 PM
          • Reply to Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
            jpkeates
            Don't ever ask HMRC for tax advice.

A) they're not qualified to give it, b) you may have to give them information to get advice that they can use against you, c) it may cause them to mark your returns for attention and d) they're hardly unbiased.

Tax is part science and part...
            13-11-2018, 08:43 AM
          • Reply to Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
            gmhmo
            Thank you very much. I'll speak to an accountant. I also found a HMRC CGT helpline....
            13-11-2018, 08:35 AM
          • PRR & Letting Relief
            multipropertyguy
            Trying to do some calculations before I think about putting a house on the market, first time I've sold a property. It's only in my name and it was my main residence before letting it out and buying another place.

Purchase Price £175,000
            Market Value £415,000 (est)

12-11-2018, 12:03 PM
          • Reply to PRR & Letting Relief
            Gordon999
            In Post 2, The total period owned = 180 months .

Exemption claimed for PPR = 36 months + 18 month after moving out = 54 months

Period under letting = 180 -54 = 126 months .

So the capital gain during letting period = £ 240k x 126/180 = £168K.

12-11-2018, 17:28 PM
          • Reply to PRR & Letting Relief
            GillianF
            Hi, I've tried to follow the calculations above to apply it to my situation but get lost at the CG part - "126 /180", not knowing where these figures come from. I can follow it up to that point.

However, I will post my figures. I likewise am trying to figure the implications...
            12-11-2018, 16:59 PM
          • queries about self assessment
            djlandlord
            Hi All

My wife has a property which we re-mortgaged on a buy-to-let mortgage to buy our home. This will be our first year doing the self-assessment, whilst I am certain on some things I have a few questions about others which I hope you all can assist with:
            1. Can we claim the mortgage product
            09-11-2018, 15:28 PM
          Working...
          X