offsetting tax liabilities on different properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

offsetting tax liabilities on different properties

I own 2 buy to let flats and last October I bought another one so that's 3 altogether. This latest flat needed extensive renovation. We basically gutted it and put in new central heating, rewired, new kitchen, bathroom etc, The work was finished by the end of February but I then noticed that there was a damp patch on the bedroom wall and also paint bubbling by the skirting boards. We were advised that the plaster needed to be hacked off and some solution injected into the walls. This was done and all seems fine now. This caused a further delay in finding a tenant and eventually the new tenant moved in 1st May and she is very pleased with it,

Although most of the work was major refurbishment work which I am aware cannot be offset against tax there was some work like repair to the existing windows and the damp work which I think can be offset against rent received now. As I didn't get any rent off the flat till after this new tax year started can I offset the repairs to this flat against my overall tax liability for the other two flats?

You need to pay for a consultation with a local accountant firm to identify which bills can be set against your rental income. ( by face to face meeting with your bills and receipts ) before you complete your tax return.

Look for a shop offering bookkeeping & VAT records service for local shops in the suburbs of your town and make enquiry.for tax return advice.

Comment

Originally posted by MOONRIVER View Post
      As I didn't get any rent off the flat till after this new tax year started can I offset the repairs to this flat against my overall tax liability for the other two flats?
      Basically, yes - you have one property investment business with three properties in it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
        by jpkeates
        I find that using expensive and long lasting underlay under cheaper carpet works best.
        It feels nice and luxurious and insulates well, and replacing the carpet is less traumatic on the bank balance.
        30-05-2020, 12:25 PM
      • Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
        by anqi_z
        Hello,

Carpets in a let property has worn out and I am considering to replace it with laminate flooring.
        Could anyone advise if this will be tax deductible (assume this won't be considered as improvement)?

Thank you....
        25-05-2020, 19:16 PM
      • Flipping a property
        by Gray
        My son and I are thinking of buying a property together and renovating it. We were intending to rent it out but now are thinking about just selling it again once work is finished. If we purchase property in three names (our’s and his partner’s), we would get three capital gains allowances is that...
        18-05-2020, 17:53 PM
      • Reply to Flipping a property
        by Jerome2020
        It's not strictly true that a company must be used where there are more than four owners. Where there are more than four parties with an interest in a property, the first named four are treated as holding the land on Trust for the remaining beneficial owners; good documentation is essential to avoid...
        30-05-2020, 11:56 AM
        by blinko
        Yeah I prefer carpet too, but the rate at which tenants seem to be able to destroy carpet compared to laminate.....
        30-05-2020, 11:50 AM
        by Lawcruncher
        Funny how fashions change. Fifty years ago having fitted carpet had a social cachet, now everyone wants laminate flooring. I know it looks nice, but so do carperts. It is fine in a conservatory with cane furniture, but it makes a lounge look clinical. It also increases your central heating costs.
        30-05-2020, 07:51 AM
        by Gordon999
        Land Registry only allows 4 names maximum on the property title.

If more than 4 names , you would need to register under company name and the members in the group become shareholders.

The members can be shareholders with one £1 share each and the company borrows the funds...
        30-05-2020, 05:59 AM
        by jpkeates
        If the property title was a joint tenancy, anyone not contributing to the purchase would have received the ownership as a gift and would be an owner as a matter of fact.
        29-05-2020, 16:26 PM
        by jpkeates
        OK, that makes a lot more sense.

The HMRC guidance is focussed on improvements like new rooms or new bathrooms rather than more mundane changes.

I would probably focus equally on the amount of the difference rather than the ratio - £500 is neither here nor there for tax purposes,...
        29-05-2020, 16:16 PM
        by Stew
        thanks - interesting reading
        29-05-2020, 15:32 PM
      Working...
      X