offsetting tax liabilities on different properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

offsetting tax liabilities on different properties

I own 2 buy to let flats and last October I bought another one so that's 3 altogether. This latest flat needed extensive renovation. We basically gutted it and put in new central heating, rewired, new kitchen, bathroom etc, The work was finished by the end of February but I then noticed that there was a damp patch on the bedroom wall and also paint bubbling by the skirting boards. We were advised that the plaster needed to be hacked off and some solution injected into the walls. This was done and all seems fine now. This caused a further delay in finding a tenant and eventually the new tenant moved in 1st May and she is very pleased with it,

Although most of the work was major refurbishment work which I am aware cannot be offset against tax there was some work like repair to the existing windows and the damp work which I think can be offset against rent received now. As I didn't get any rent off the flat till after this new tax year started can I offset the repairs to this flat against my overall tax liability for the other two flats?

You need to pay for a consultation with a local accountant firm to identify which bills can be set against your rental income. ( by face to face meeting with your bills and receipts ) before you complete your tax return.

Look for a shop offering bookkeeping & VAT records service for local shops in the suburbs of your town and make enquiry.for tax return advice.

Comment

Originally posted by MOONRIVER View Post
      As I didn't get any rent off the flat till after this new tax year started can I offset the repairs to this flat against my overall tax liability for the other two flats?
      Basically, yes - you have one property investment business with three properties in it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent-a-room and tax deductions
        doobrey
        Trying to settle a debate :-

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc.

However, my accountant has stated that I cannot deduct an amount for use of my own property for business purposes, since...
        17-10-2019, 11:57 AM
      • Reply to Rent-a-room and tax deductions
        doobrey
        Thanks. That is what I thought....
        17-10-2019, 13:23 PM
        jpkeates
        No, I believe you would be able to claim an allowance of £4 a week against the income from that business....
        17-10-2019, 13:18 PM
        Gordon999
        The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £7,500 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else. You can let out as much of your home as you want.

So your web design business...
        17-10-2019, 13:04 PM
        doobrey
        I am not suggesting that Rent-a-Room is a business (...and that is, I guess, part of the point of my question).

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc. However, my understanding/assumption is that this...
        17-10-2019, 12:48 PM
      • Maintenance payment flow of funds
        Kots
        Hi all,

I am one of three flats and I own a share of freehold. We've setup a company to deal with the day-to-day matters such as maintenance payments and such.

One of the freeholders, who is also a director of the company, usually arranges quotes for maintenance works and insurance...
        15-10-2019, 05:10 AM
      • Reply to Maintenance payment flow of funds
        Gordon999
        For your BTL letting business , you are required to keep proper records of the rental income and expenses for each year and be able to report the figures in your annual income tax return.

The rental income and expenses must be supported by bookkeeping records, suppliers invoices...
        17-10-2019, 12:46 PM
        jpkeates
        The point of the Rent a Room scheme is that the landlord isn't running a business, it's a non-commercial arrangement.
        So you aren't using part of your property for running a business unless you have another business (like a web design business).
        17-10-2019, 12:40 PM
        Kots
        Thanks for your replies.

We are tenants in common and although the initial idea was to pay funds in advance, I am not for this so the plan would be that funds are paid as they are required.

What about HMRC, does anybody know if I'd be unable to offset these payments against...
        16-10-2019, 14:08 PM
        leaseholder64
        I'm not clear as to whether the company is the actual freeholder, or you are tenants in common. In the latter case, setting up a company is an unnecessary expense, which probably cannot be fully funded from the service charges.

Also I'm not clear as to whether any service charges are paid...
        15-10-2019, 10:09 AM
      Working...
      X