offsetting tax liabilities on different properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

offsetting tax liabilities on different properties

I own 2 buy to let flats and last October I bought another one so that's 3 altogether. This latest flat needed extensive renovation. We basically gutted it and put in new central heating, rewired, new kitchen, bathroom etc, The work was finished by the end of February but I then noticed that there was a damp patch on the bedroom wall and also paint bubbling by the skirting boards. We were advised that the plaster needed to be hacked off and some solution injected into the walls. This was done and all seems fine now. This caused a further delay in finding a tenant and eventually the new tenant moved in 1st May and she is very pleased with it,

Although most of the work was major refurbishment work which I am aware cannot be offset against tax there was some work like repair to the existing windows and the damp work which I think can be offset against rent received now. As I didn't get any rent off the flat till after this new tax year started can I offset the repairs to this flat against my overall tax liability for the other two flats?

You need to pay for a consultation with a local accountant firm to identify which bills can be set against your rental income. ( by face to face meeting with your bills and receipts ) before you complete your tax return.

Look for a shop offering bookkeeping & VAT records service for local shops in the suburbs of your town and make enquiry.for tax return advice.

Comment

Originally posted by MOONRIVER View Post
      As I didn't get any rent off the flat till after this new tax year started can I offset the repairs to this flat against my overall tax liability for the other two flats?
      Basically, yes - you have one property investment business with three properties in it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
        crossannie101
        I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
        14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
      • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
        Gordon999
        I suggest you ask the tax office to send you a paper version tax return for first year submission ( before 31 st Oct ) .

Next year if you understand the system, change to online tax return .
        19-07-2019, 17:48 PM
        crossannie101
        Thank you Gordon999 and JKO, both very interesting. I do the book-keeping and use a spreadsheet with all income and outgoings, plus bank account, so when I hand it over to the person who submits they literally enter the info provided and submit. They offered to submit our CS01 for £40 plus VAT, which...
        19-07-2019, 10:47 AM
      • don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
        MOONRIVER
        Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
        Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
        I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
        02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
      • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
        tatemono
        I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
        17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
        JK0
        I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
        16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
        Gordon999
        If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
        16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
        crossannie101
        Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
        15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
        Gordon999
        Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
        14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
      • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
        MdeB
        I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
        There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
        12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
      Working...
      X