Self Assessment - what to include

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment - what to include

Hi, I'm a first time landlord filling in my first time self assessment tax form, so apologies if these are stupid questions, have had a look through forum but couldn't find conclusive answers.

My sister and I jointly inherited a flat complete with tenant last summer, I bought her half so now own it all. Can I claim legal fees for this purchase?

Six months later the tenant trashed the place and left. At that time I had received £3200 in rent. Following the tenant's departure the costs of putting it all right again, repairs, decoration, reflooring throughout (she'd had a dog in there), new locks, (didn't bother to refurnish, now let as unfurnished), anyway these costs came to considerably more than I'd had in rent. I did the cleaning myself. These works were all done round about end March, April, so some within 17/18 tax year. I think I can claim for direct replacement (curtains, toilet seat etc). Can I claim for all the other work under repairs and maintenance and are these costs included in my return if they were incurred before 6 April, of if paid before 6 April? Can I claim for the cleaning I did myself and eg the special uplift to take away all the broken furniture we lugged down the stairs?

Then costs of getting new tenants - safety checks, new smoke alarms, agency to advertise and do paperwork etc. I know I can claim for the let only service, but can I claim for the checks - gas, EICR, legionella etc and additional work required to bring up to new standard?

Grateful thanks to anyone who can advise.

You can't claim for the legal fees for the purchase against income - you can claim them when you sell the property (assuming the tax rules are the same then as they are now). The legal fees are a capital item, not a revenue item. If you took out a mortgage to fund the purchase, fees associated with the borrowing are allowed (but are capped).

There are two ways of completing a tax return. On a cash basis or an accrual (accounting) basis. For the cash basis, you account for income when it's actually received and costs when they are paid. On the accrual basis you show income when it's due (whether it's paid or not) and costs when they're committed, not when they're paid.

You can't claim for your own labour or time.

All of the costs that are incurred solely and exclusively for the business are allowed. Unless I've missed something, everything you've listed can be offset against income. As this will result in a loss, you want to carry forward that loss into the next tax year, so you can offset it against the next year's income.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Your tax return for 2017/2018 to report rental income would include the rental income of £3200 and expenses paid to cleanup incurred up to April 5th. and any loss in 2017/2018 is carried forward to next year's tax return. The bills paid for clean up in flat after April 6 are entered in the tax return for 2018/2019. The bills paid to service providers are allowable expense against rental income but charging for your own labour is not allowable expense. For the cost of writing off the value of broken furniture and taking away- you need to check with Hmrc's hotline.

The money paid to sister for half share plus the legal cost for transfer is "capital cost " and is not an expense which can be set against rental income. After you sell property in the future , you will deduct these costs from the sales proceeds to calculate the capital gains and you will be charged cgt.

Comment

Thank you both very much, will get back to it today now i have a better idea what I'm doing! What a helpful place this is

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by Tony-Edwards
          Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
          11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
        • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by gnvqsos
          You seem to know a great deal of events in the 70s,or are you relying on hearsay?...
          19-08-2022, 16:41 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by gnvqsos
          very basic,indeed!
          19-08-2022, 16:37 PM
        • Capital Gains Tax
          by LVA
          Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

My accountant tells me the CGT...
          16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Inflation as a form of indirect taxation is basic economics, well described in about 15 million academic articles....
          19-08-2022, 09:18 AM
          by gnvqsos
          AndrewDod,

Inflation can be corrosive but it is not a tax ,as the government do not receive a corresponding income. The government spend money derived from either tax receipts ,trading income or by borrowing through the sale of securities/bonds. Printed money is distributed by commercial...
          18-08-2022, 18:59 PM
          by Gordon999
          The capital gains is charged at 18% or 28 % rate, and this depends on your job income, which is taxed at 20% or 40% .

Assuming the capital gains tax rate is about 25% average , your total gain is probably around 4 x £50K = £200K ( or over. )

If you are married...
          18-08-2022, 11:26 AM
        • Reply to Overseas
          by jpkeates
          I suspect that the accountant wasn't citing the regulations, he was explaining the reality....
          18-08-2022, 11:18 AM
        • Overseas
          by jase222
          Hi,
          I will be moving to Spain for between 6-9months and I will obviously be paying my taxes and I spoke to a Spainish tax accountant who said the authorities won’t be interested in anybody who stays for less than a year as long as you can prove you pay tax in your own country? I’ve never heard...
          17-08-2022, 08:05 AM
        • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by Tony-Edwards
          It wasn't meant to question HMRC - it was a response to the rude and thoughtless comments made by some....
          18-08-2022, 09:51 AM
        Working...
        X