Self Assessment - what to include

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment - what to include

Hi, I'm a first time landlord filling in my first time self assessment tax form, so apologies if these are stupid questions, have had a look through forum but couldn't find conclusive answers.

My sister and I jointly inherited a flat complete with tenant last summer, I bought her half so now own it all. Can I claim legal fees for this purchase?

Six months later the tenant trashed the place and left. At that time I had received £3200 in rent. Following the tenant's departure the costs of putting it all right again, repairs, decoration, reflooring throughout (she'd had a dog in there), new locks, (didn't bother to refurnish, now let as unfurnished), anyway these costs came to considerably more than I'd had in rent. I did the cleaning myself. These works were all done round about end March, April, so some within 17/18 tax year. I think I can claim for direct replacement (curtains, toilet seat etc). Can I claim for all the other work under repairs and maintenance and are these costs included in my return if they were incurred before 6 April, of if paid before 6 April? Can I claim for the cleaning I did myself and eg the special uplift to take away all the broken furniture we lugged down the stairs?

Then costs of getting new tenants - safety checks, new smoke alarms, agency to advertise and do paperwork etc. I know I can claim for the let only service, but can I claim for the checks - gas, EICR, legionella etc and additional work required to bring up to new standard?

Grateful thanks to anyone who can advise.

You can't claim for the legal fees for the purchase against income - you can claim them when you sell the property (assuming the tax rules are the same then as they are now). The legal fees are a capital item, not a revenue item. If you took out a mortgage to fund the purchase, fees associated with the borrowing are allowed (but are capped).

There are two ways of completing a tax return. On a cash basis or an accrual (accounting) basis. For the cash basis, you account for income when it's actually received and costs when they are paid. On the accrual basis you show income when it's due (whether it's paid or not) and costs when they're committed, not when they're paid.

You can't claim for your own labour or time.

All of the costs that are incurred solely and exclusively for the business are allowed. Unless I've missed something, everything you've listed can be offset against income. As this will result in a loss, you want to carry forward that loss into the next tax year, so you can offset it against the next year's income.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Your tax return for 2017/2018 to report rental income would include the rental income of £3200 and expenses paid to cleanup incurred up to April 5th. and any loss in 2017/2018 is carried forward to next year's tax return. The bills paid for clean up in flat after April 6 are entered in the tax return for 2018/2019. The bills paid to service providers are allowable expense against rental income but charging for your own labour is not allowable expense. For the cost of writing off the value of broken furniture and taking away- you need to check with Hmrc's hotline.

The money paid to sister for half share plus the legal cost for transfer is "capital cost " and is not an expense which can be set against rental income. After you sell property in the future , you will deduct these costs from the sales proceeds to calculate the capital gains and you will be charged cgt.

Comment

Thank you both very much, will get back to it today now i have a better idea what I'm doing! What a helpful place this is

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Seeking a professional tax expert please
          Landlord2015
          Fed-up of all the attacks on the BTL sector by the government and the ever-increasing red tape and hassles of managing tenants, so I'm looking to sell my portfolio of UK BTL properties and invest a fairly large sum into equities etc. from which to receive an annual 'retirement' income.

20-08-2018, 12:26 PM
        • Let Property Campaign and past experience
          JazzApples
          Hi,
          The ex-wife and I had a couple of rental properties which we've rented out for the past 2.5 years. The initial intention was to use the properties as an investment for the future, but we divorced after a year and never put our tax affairs in order. After the divorce, I wanted to declare the...
          17-08-2018, 16:19 PM
        • Reply to Let Property Campaign and past experience
          Gordon999
          I expect both you and ex-wife have to submit tax return for rental profit for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 ( since you started letting 2.5 years ago and current year end profit cannot yet be computed ) .
          So from the letting records of each property and for each year , you calculate the...
          19-08-2018, 11:08 AM
          jpkeates
          First of all, I'd give your wife a heads up that she's about to get "done" if she doesn't already know.
          I'd guess she's received the same letter, but you never know.

I'd use an accountant. Find one that's done this kind of thing before.
          They'll know what the standard...
          18-08-2018, 08:24 AM
        • Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
          Juliaabc
          Hi everyone. Never posted before because had nothing to add, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions or pointers before I start having to pay costs to set this up.

My query is this: I have a mortgaged property which has a consent to let agreed upon it. The property...
          14-08-2018, 16:03 PM
        • Reply to Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
          jpkeates
          Some landlords pay tax via PAYE with HMRC approval.

Most landlords aren't "self employed", even if they complete a self assessment annually....
          18-08-2018, 08:16 AM
          g373
          Hi again

I overlooked the fact that your profit was £20k per year so the tax and fine may be bigger. Was there a mortgage on these properties?

however, there may still be time register for self assessment for the 2017/18 tax year meaning there would be no fine for that year....
          18-08-2018, 05:57 AM
          JazzApples
          g373,
          Thanks for the information. I'm a basic rate tax payer and there were a few months of the property being empty, so will see on the fine.

Did you process the tax documents and submit yourself or use an accountant? From what I've see so far, it's mostly a matter of diligent record...
          17-08-2018, 21:09 PM
          theartfullodger
          Oh right, "Child Benefit" isn't a benefit then......
          17-08-2018, 20:39 PM
          AndrewDod
          Artful -- in casual conversation when most folk talk about benefits they are not talking about your "old age" pension "earned" mostly via paying national insurance contributions and tax (albeit not related to the quantity of that tax). Nor are they talking about the NHS, child benefit,...
          17-08-2018, 19:26 PM
        Working...
        X