Expenses on rental property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Expenses on rental property

    Can anyone help with this, I have two properties in the uk
    one is rented out, the other was rented out but is now empty and on the market to be sold.
    I pay council tax, service charge, ground rent, plus a company to look after the property that's empty.
    Whilst it’s on the market. Can I clam all these fees as expenses or can I only clam them if the property was empty and sill up for tenancy ?
    Thank you, Royboy1

    I believe tat the situation is that your lettings business is continuing, so you can claim any expenses for the property that you could if you were reletting it.

    If it were your last property, then the position would be different.

    Talk to a tax inspector at your tax office to confirm (not the bod that answers the phone).


      As above - your business is continuing and the disposal is part of that business.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Thank you for your replies guys.
        I will run it, past the tax office.
        Thank you all


          Don't ever ask HMRC for tax advice.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


            I’ll second that. Do not rely on what they tell you on the phone. The best you can do is use a qualified accountant if you want it done properly and you don’t think you can do it.


              i've actually found that the HMRC on-line chat people are pretty good - very professional and patient.

              As with anything though, always worth doing a bit of research in advance and seek confirmation if different advice given ....

              Hello. Welcome to HMRC webchat. 4:14 PM
              I was told that because the income was <£2500 each, we didnt need to do a self assessment, only inform HMRC - was that incorrect ? 4:20 PM
              That was incorrect Mr ZZZZ. Any property income must be declared via a self assessment tax return. 4:21 PM
              ok. Glad that I asked the question again. How do I go about making a self assessment tax return ?4:22 PM
              Ps your web site states:

              Property you personally own You must contact HMRC if your income from property rental is less than £2,500 a year. But you must report it on a Self Assessment tax return if it’s: £2,500 to £9,999 after allowable expenses £10,000 or more before allowable expenses https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax 4:23 PM
              Ok ZZZZ that is correct i do apologise. 4:25 PM
              As you have made a loss there's no need to declare it. However, keep a record of the income and the expenses paid out in regards to the property. 4:26 PM
              If you make a profit and it is less than or equal to £2500 then we can include that in your tax code, rather than you needing to file a tax return. 4:27 PM
              Thank you very much XXXX. You have been most helpful. Have a good weekend.:41 PM
              Apologies for the misleading information at the begining of the chat Mr ZZZZ. I'm glad i could clear this up. Have a good evening. 4:41 PM


                Sorry, should have said, this transcript is edited - start has been removed as has a section from after 4:27


                  That's a great reason not to take advice from HMRC.

                  If you hadn't corrected them, their "advice" would have been 100% incorrect.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


                    Yep ... classic


                    Latest Activity


                    • Deed of trust to Ltd company
                      Hello All,

                      I’m new to this site/forum so apologies in advance if this question has been asked before.
                      i own my current property 100% and it’s on a personal mortgage. Now I want to move from the property due to personal reasons and want to let it out. I want to do BTL via company...
                      20-05-2019, 17:11 PM
                    • Reply to Deed of trust to Ltd company
                      You need to post the terms and conditions of your mortgage for anyone to be able to answer but it is likely you will be breaching the terms and conditions if you don't inform them....
                      20-05-2019, 18:21 PM
                    • Will I pay stamp duty?
                      So i was hoping for some good advice.

                      Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a house together, the problem is i already have a house of my own which i am renting out on a BTL mortgage. So if i buy a house with my girlfriend that will be my second home, but her only home.

                      18-05-2019, 16:02 PM
                    • Reply to Will I pay stamp duty?
                      There are a minority of lenders who will accept one person being on the Title but with two persons on the mortgage in order support the affordability , otherwise You cannot circumvent the SDLT premium in the second property is in joint names.
                      18-05-2019, 21:34 PM
                    • Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
                      Hi there

                      i am one of four directors of a company that owns the freehold of the four flats in our house.

                      one of the owners is selling and wants to extend the lease as its dropped to 67 years. I realise now we should have done 999 leases as soon as we bought the freehold but...
                      14-05-2019, 10:12 AM
                    • Reply to Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
                      Thanks - it would be our preference to renew them all at the same but unfortunately the seller is pushing us as their buyer is threatening to pull out.

                      We now have differing advice over whether we will be liable to pay tax on the assumed financial benefit of the extended lease at no cost....
                      17-05-2019, 16:27 PM
                    • Capital gains tax and tax credits
                      hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
                      17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
                    • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
                      update - ive been onto the tax credits for the past hour and they are saying not to inclue unless im re-investing or making money from the capital gains
                      17-05-2019, 16:16 PM
                    • Is this legal?
                      Hi all, I am completely new to this so wanted to get some informal advice. I currently jointly own a freehold property in London (with my sister that lives in the US) that I inherited from my mother many years ago. I do not live in the house, not does my sister; until now, the entire property was let...
                      15-05-2019, 22:04 PM
                    • Reply to Is this legal?
                      It's permitted, but is obviously designed to evade tax. You need to declare the income you receive from your son - and pay tax on it. What is he going to pay over to you - the full rent or more than he has actually received? For £1500 this is a lot of complications and your son becomes a landlord with...
                      17-05-2019, 09:56 AM