Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Return - Self assessment

Hi
    I am going to be renovating a new property and will be staying away from home to do this.
    Whilst away can I claim back food and meals as a business expense and if yes in which box on the self assessment form will they be included in?

You can't claim for your own food/meals.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Haha - I read the OP's name as Stingy!!

JPK - I recently did a refurb at one of my properities - now 200 miles away. I stayed in a hotel the first night (bought a blow up airbed and roughed it for the next couple of weeks) and then on the last night, I checked into a hotel (around mid-night) on the way home as I was exhausted.

Will I be able to offset both of the hotel bills?

Many thanks
      Claymore

Comment

Hotel bills are allowable expenses - provided the trip was wholly business, i.e. you wouldn't have needed a hotel other than because of the refurb.

You can't claim for food because it fails the wholly and exclusively test - you'd have eaten whether you were working or not.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks JPK.

Comment

Absolute pleasure.

Comment

Hi thank you all for your comments.

When I used to be employed if we were out of the office or way from home we could claim expenses back for meals and overnight accommodation which seems fair but does that mean that the company I worked for was not allowed to offset these costs against sales to reduce its profits and pay less tax?

Comment

It's a few years since I claimed for subsidence, but my understanding was that, at the time, HMRC did allow for the cost of evening meals and breakfasts, to, say two star hotel standard, without even offsetting them by the cost of a DIY, home, meal.

Of course, landlording isn't a business for HMRC purposes, so rules may be different.

Comment

Er subsidence or subsistence? Not sure the govt will let you claim for either

Comment

Originally posted by stringy View Post
                    When I used to be employed if we were out of the office or way from home we could claim expenses back for meals and overnight accommodation which seems fair but does that mean that the company I worked for was not allowed to offset these costs against sales to reduce its profits and pay less tax?
                    The company would probably have agreed it's expenses policy with HMRC.

My last employer allowed specific expenses which they had agreed with HMRC were legitimate business expenses - as a blanket policy. From time to time the rules changed as HMRC policies changed. At the start that meant breakfast if travelling before 7:00 and an evening meal if travelling after 8PM

When I left, we could claim for any our own meals - but they were no longer tax deductible for the company, and, if dining with a customer, had to split the bill between their food (allowed) and ours (not). The rules also determined if VAT could be recovered. Any tip was in the not allowed column. The company took the hit, otherwise noone would have been prepared to travel.

Similarly, we agreed with HMRC a policy about business travel claims. As long as they were properly recorded, HMRC allowed the claims without checking.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                      You can't claim for food because it fails the wholly and exclusively test - you'd have eaten whether you were working or not.
                      Am I correct in thinking that where properties are held within a limited company, it is possible to claim for meals eaten when travelling on property-related business (within the stated HMRC maximums)?

Comment

The same rules apply - it would have to be justified as an expense incurred because of the business - and meals usually aren't because the same meal (broadly) would be eaten anyway.

Paying for staff food is usually a benefit in kind, which is taxed as income for the recipient.

Comment

These are the HMRC Self Employment help pages:
                          https://assets.publishing.service.go...notes_2018.pdf

Page 6 - Cars, vans travel expenses allows meals on overnight business trips.

Comment

Most landlords aren't self-employed.

Comment

Fair point. Although not a trade, taxable profit from rental properties generally follow the same rules.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X