Carrying forward losses over multiple years: a bug in the self-assessment form?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying forward losses over multiple years: a bug in the self-assessment form?

In 2017/18, I made £17,337 profit on my property rentals. However, I had a £40,017 loss from previous tax years to carry over, which should both wipe out my profit for 2017/18 and leave me with a £22,680 remaining loss to carry forward to 2018/19.

I put this into my self-assessment form, and the website came up with the attached screenshot, which all looks exactly how it should be. Happy days, I thought!

However, when I clicked "next" I got the following error message: 'Loss brought forward used against this year's profits' must not exceed 'Adjusted profit for the year'. Please amend.

Aaargh! I then clicked on the help icon next to the "Loss brought forward used against this year's profit" box and it came up with the following (I've put the key sentence in blue text):

Loss brought forward used against this year’s profit
    Enter any loss brought forward from earlier years up to the amount in ‘Adjusted profit for the year’ .Include any amount brought forward that you're now setting against 2017 to 2018 Income from Property profits. This figure must not exceed the 'Adjusted profit for the year' figure. If your loss is higher than your profit, provide the remaining losses available to carry forward in the 'Loss to carry forward to following year, including unused losses brought forward’.
    That sounds all well and good, but as you can see from the attached screen shot the "Loss to carry forward to following year, including unused losses brought forward" box is not one which permits numbers to be inputted by the user, but is instead (quite sensibly) one which the HMRC website calculates for you based on your previous answers in that section. Aaargh, aargh, aargh!

Am I missing something obvious, or is this a bug in the HMRC website?

• AshC
    replied
    Further to my post above, this is also confirmed by HMRC in answer to a forum question:

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/webchatpr...list/2792.page

Leave a comment:

• AshC
    replied
    Thanks Banzai - I had the same issue and that is how I read the notes that appeared in the question mark on the online form (similar to the note referred to by mjlandlord above but the note is slightly longer for box 39 on the online form). I thought I was going mad so it's assuring to find that I was not the only one panicking!

Leave a comment:

• mjlandlord
    replied
    If you click on the ? by the "Loss to carry forward to following year, including unused losses brought forward:"

it takes you to this page - https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor...rryForwardHelp

this says "If your loss is higher than your profit, provide the remaining losses available to carry forward in the any other information for other property income."

Leave a comment:

• Banzai
    replied
    I have just spoken to HMRC on the phone.

There is a system issue if you try to carry forwards a previous loss when you are also declaring a loss for the current year's return.

The HMRC operator consulted a technician colleague and the following is the solution offered:

1) Leave the box "Loss brought forward used against this year's profits" blank.

2) Click "Save and Continue"

3) Add comments in the box to explain the previous loss, the current loss and the total loss to be carried over to 2018/19.

I also made mention that the additional text was agreed during a phone call to HMRC and added today's date.

I hope this helps.

Banzai

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    You can't do the return online at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Banzai
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    It was in the old days (2004-ish?) of paper returns. I corrected by accountants mistake that he had charged for, had him re-submit, sorted.
    Thanks for the reply, still searching for a solution to what should be a straightforward occurrence...

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    It was in the old days (2004-ish?) of paper returns. I corrected by accountants mistake that he had charged for, had him re-submit, sorted.

Leave a comment:

• Banzai
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post

Not necessarily: I stopped using my accountant when he was about to submit my return WITHOUT carrying the loss forward.
    Artful - how did you submit your SA return with the loss carried forward?

Regards,

Banzai

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post

An accountant.
    Not necessarily: I stopped using my accountant when he was about to submit my return WITHOUT carrying the loss forward.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by Banzai View Post

What do I need to do to get the system to accept a total of £20000 to be carried forward to 2018/19?
    An accountant.

Leave a comment:

• Banzai
    replied
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I have encountered a similar issue and would really appreciate some help....

2016/17 loss £15000

2017/18 loss £5000

What do I need to do to get the system to accept a total of £20000 to be carried forward to 2018/19?

Many thanks,

Banzai

Leave a comment:

• JamesHopeful
    replied
    Originally posted by Sandi View Post
    I have the same issue and it seems really silly that they have removed the losses brought forward box especially as there is a loss carry forward box.
    thank you, it reassures me to know I'm not the only one

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Better to submit a paper tax return showing the loss carried forward to next year and keep a photocopy.

Leave a comment:

• Sandi
    replied
    I have the same issue and it seems really silly that they have removed the losses brought forward box especially as there is a loss carry forward box.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Second payment on account
    dotcotton999
    Hello all,

After paying my 2017/18 tax bill I was asked to pay the first payment on account for 2018/19. The first payment was due by the 31st July 2019. This payment goes towards my future tax bill.

I paid that money owed by the deadline but it hasn’t reduced my 2018/19...
    02-08-2019, 05:58 AM
  • Reply to Second payment on account
    dotcotton999
    I telephoned HMRC... they said usually the amounts are worked out automatically but there had been issues with some accounts because payments on account hadn’t been generated correctly by them

thanks for all the assistance...
    17-09-2019, 19:46 PM
    Gordon999
    If you make your tax return online, then you can check the "statement " section showing your payments made to tax office against your own bank statements.
    17-09-2019, 00:01 AM
    dotcotton999
    There’s me thinking it’s called self assessment...
    16-09-2019, 19:28 PM
  • Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
    Edgarina
    I am a higher rate tax payer and my wife is not. I have removed myself from the mortgages of the two buy to let properties we have jointly owned and all the proceeds of the properties are now going into an account in my wife's name. Is this enough so I am no longer liable to pay tax on the income from...
    07-09-2019, 13:40 PM
  • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
    Kape65
    With legislation on linked transactions I would suggest their would be a SDLT liability dependent on the mortgage value transferred. If the joint value amounted to £40k or more then 3% would be payable on the entire amount.
    16-09-2019, 18:58 PM
  • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
    Edgarina
    Hi,

The property value is about 55k each so no stamp duty, the bank had no issues at and didn't even mention it but of course I said I was coning off the deeds too and its via the banks (very expensive solicitors).

I have had an opinion from an accountant and yes it looks like...
    16-09-2019, 16:13 PM
    OneSmallStep
    I think if I had a £200K tax bill, then my accountant should really be earning their money and explaining in detail how my liability is calculated....
    16-09-2019, 10:37 AM
  • house to flats tax implication
    halfax
    i have a large house which i have rented for 18 years and i am considering turning into 3 flats. would i be able to sell as a develope (treated as a trader) when the flats are completed?
    would it be a capital gain or would i be able to move them into a company just paying stamp duty
    15-09-2019, 10:51 AM
  • Reply to house to flats tax implication
    Gordon999
    If you sell the house to a company, you would be liable for capital gains tax on the calculated capital gain ( = sale proceeds minus original cost ) at 18% or 28%. But you can claim personal capital gains allowance of about £12K. The company has to pay sdlt.

If you convert the house and...
    15-09-2019, 17:38 PM
Working...
X