Carrying forward losses over multiple years: a bug in the self-assessment form?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you click on the ? by the "Loss to carry forward to following year, including unused losses brought forward:"

it takes you to this page - https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor...rryForwardHelp

this says "If your loss is higher than your profit, provide the remaining losses available to carry forward in the any other information for other property income."

Comment

Thanks Banzai - I had the same issue and that is how I read the notes that appeared in the question mark on the online form (similar to the note referred to by mjlandlord above but the note is slightly longer for box 39 on the online form). I thought I was going mad so it's assuring to find that I was not the only one panicking!

Comment

Further to my post above, this is also confirmed by HMRC in answer to a forum question:

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/webchatpr...list/2792.page

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease extension
          Cassie12
          Hi I'm a newbie and would welcome information about any tax relief on a 99 year lease extension I have just paid for....
          21-10-2019, 16:37 PM
        • Reply to Lease extension
          leaseholder64
          It would be against CGT, not income.
          21-10-2019, 17:42 PM
        • SA 700 tax return
          Cassie12
          At the end of February 2019 I did a Share for Share exchange agreement on an offshore company which owns a property to bring the company into the UK jurisdiction. Can anyone tell me do I still do a paper SA700 tax return for the 10 months April 2018 to February 2019 while the company was still in the...
          21-10-2019, 16:23 PM
        • Rent-a-room and tax deductions
          doobrey
          Trying to settle a debate :-

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc.

However, my accountant has stated that I cannot deduct an amount for use of my own property for business purposes, since...
          17-10-2019, 11:57 AM
        • Reply to Rent-a-room and tax deductions
          doobrey
          Thanks. That is what I thought....
          17-10-2019, 13:23 PM
          jpkeates
          No, I believe you would be able to claim an allowance of £4 a week against the income from that business....
          17-10-2019, 13:18 PM
          Gordon999
          The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £7,500 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else. You can let out as much of your home as you want.

So your web design business...
          17-10-2019, 13:04 PM
          doobrey
          I am not suggesting that Rent-a-Room is a business (...and that is, I guess, part of the point of my question).

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc. However, my understanding/assumption is that this...
          17-10-2019, 12:48 PM
        • Maintenance payment flow of funds
          Kots
          Hi all,

I am one of three flats and I own a share of freehold. We've setup a company to deal with the day-to-day matters such as maintenance payments and such.

One of the freeholders, who is also a director of the company, usually arranges quotes for maintenance works and insurance...
          15-10-2019, 05:10 AM
        • Reply to Maintenance payment flow of funds
          Gordon999
          For your BTL letting business , you are required to keep proper records of the rental income and expenses for each year and be able to report the figures in your annual income tax return.

The rental income and expenses must be supported by bookkeeping records, suppliers invoices...
          17-10-2019, 12:46 PM
        Working...
        X