Carrying forward losses over multiple years: a bug in the self-assessment form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you click on the ? by the "Loss to carry forward to following year, including unused losses brought forward:"

it takes you to this page - https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor...rryForwardHelp

this says "If your loss is higher than your profit, provide the remaining losses available to carry forward in the any other information for other property income."

Comment

Thanks Banzai - I had the same issue and that is how I read the notes that appeared in the question mark on the online form (similar to the note referred to by mjlandlord above but the note is slightly longer for box 39 on the online form). I thought I was going mad so it's assuring to find that I was not the only one panicking!

Comment

Further to my post above, this is also confirmed by HMRC in answer to a forum question:

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/webchatpr...list/2792.page

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• IHT on property question
          by Bill31
          I have been living in my parents home for last 10 years and it is my primary residence. i dont currently own anything else.
          My dad passed away 3 years back and my mum removed his named from the deeds of property and added me as joint ownership with her 50/50 on land registry

we live...
          20-11-2019, 13:46 PM
        • Reply to IHT on property question
          by jpkeates
          No problem, happy to help.
          It's worthwhile talking things through with a family solicitor, though.

You and your mother want to make sure your wills are watertight.
          Many people who lose their spouse tend not to update any will that they had previously set up with their partner,...
          21-11-2019, 12:46 PM
          by Bill31
          thanks jp for yr assistance. it cleared a few things up and put my mind at ease. just needed a idea where i stand so i can plan better going forward when i seek advice.
          21-11-2019, 11:44 AM
          by jpkeates
          Joint ownership would also avoid IHT even if one of the joint tenants wasn't living there - provided they hadn't been given the joint tenancy for nothing (that's the unusual element of your situation)....
          21-11-2019, 11:34 AM
          by Bill31
          I spoke with HMRC IHT and CGT dept about all this, as it was bothering me.

Correct its not a gift with reservation as we are both living there as our main residence. They said upon either individuals death the property will go all to the other person. There is possibly no need for probate...
          21-11-2019, 11:12 AM
        • Reply to Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
          by jpkeates
          Flats can be complex from a title point of view because one of them is dependent on the other, the upstairs flat can't exist independently of the downstairs property.
          You need to get some proper legal advice on how best to administer the title.

While the letting agent is probably...
          21-11-2019, 09:40 AM
        • Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
          by Phyllis
          I have inherited a property from my father. It needs TOTAL refurbishment and Is suited to conversion into two self contained, three bedroom flats. My plan is to rent the flats out once refurbished. I realise there are many things to consider and am finding it overwhelming at the moment. I initially...
          19-11-2019, 21:53 PM
          by jpkeates
          It's not a "gift with reservation" if both the person making the gift and the recipient both occupy the property and the recipient doesn't pay anything to the donor.
          That exception is essentially aimed at exactly this kind of situation.

Your mother paying rent wouldn't change...
          21-11-2019, 09:33 AM
        • Reply to Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
          by Phyllis
          Thank you both. Estate agent said little call for large rental property here and better return on two three bedroom properties. As far as refurbishment costs, I can figure out the cost of doing two separate properties over doing one and feel I can manage those. I don’t see need to separate the titles...
          21-11-2019, 03:53 AM
          by leaseholder64
          Not paying rent reinforces the reservation of benefits position.

Whilst I believe it would be subject to the 40% marginal rate on that part of the £450k that took the estate over the allowance, my knowledge only really extends to knowing there is an issue in principle, and there may be...
          20-11-2019, 23:35 PM
        Working...
        X