Carrying forward losses over multiple years: a bug in the self-assessment form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you click on the ? by the "Loss to carry forward to following year, including unused losses brought forward:"

it takes you to this page - https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor...rryForwardHelp

this says "If your loss is higher than your profit, provide the remaining losses available to carry forward in the any other information for other property income."

Comment

Thanks Banzai - I had the same issue and that is how I read the notes that appeared in the question mark on the online form (similar to the note referred to by mjlandlord above but the note is slightly longer for box 39 on the online form). I thought I was going mad so it's assuring to find that I was not the only one panicking!

Comment

Further to my post above, this is also confirmed by HMRC in answer to a forum question:

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/webchatpr...list/2792.page

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to IHT on property question
          by leaseholder64
          Not paying rent reinforces the reservation of benefits position.

Whilst I believe it would be subject to the 40% marginal rate on that part of the £450k that took the estate over the allowance, my knowledge only really extends to knowing there is an issue in principle, and there may be...
          20-11-2019, 23:35 PM
        • IHT on property question
          by Bill31
          I have been living in my parents home for last 10 years and it is my primary residence. i dont currently own anything else.
          My dad passed away 3 years back and my mum removed his named from the deeds of property and added me as joint ownership with her 50/50 on land registry

we live...
          20-11-2019, 13:46 PM
          by Bill31
          Ok my mum does not pay rent to me if that matters.
          She originally bought the house for 80k with my dad back in the 90s. He passed away in 2012.

The house was put as joint tenancy between me and my mum in 2016. Valuation then was around 400 to 450k.
          Now in 2019 house is worth...
          20-11-2019, 23:19 PM
          by leaseholder64
          If it is a gift with reservation of benefits, her estate has to pay inheritance tax, as though the full market value, at the time it was gifted, were part of her estate (or you will have to pay the IHT if there is not enough money to cover it). Of course, it is possible that the estate is still within...
          20-11-2019, 23:02 PM
          by Bill31
          Bit confused now. So maybe it wasnt a good idea to put the house in joint names with mother.
          If we sell the house to buy another house is the cgt implications for me?
          ​​​​​Or say if she passes will i have to pay cgt if i sell the house and move elsewhere?...
          20-11-2019, 22:55 PM
          by leaseholder64
          Most of the material on this is US-centric, but I think the transfer was a gift with reservation of benefits, so fully within IHT. It's too obvious a loophole, otherwise.

Also there is a risk that, if you get into financial difficulties, your mother will end up homeless.

This...
          20-11-2019, 21:23 PM
          by Bill31
          thanks jpkeates for the replies.

i have a question. By adding my name to my mums main house where we live as joint tenants. what affect has this created on IHT ??(some people said to me i should not have added my name to the property)

say my mum passes away in 6 years or...
          20-11-2019, 20:14 PM
          by jpkeates
          There's no CGT on the property that is your main home.
          You both own the property and both live there, so it's not within the CGT regime - unless one of you moves out and it ceases to be your home before you sell it....
          20-11-2019, 18:39 PM
          by Bill31
          also another question there isnt any CGT implications for me when me and my mother become joint owners? for eg if we sold the house later
          20-11-2019, 17:18 PM
          by Bill31
          ok thanks for reply. So if something was to happen to my mother, the house becomes solely mine and i wont have to pay any IHT on it??. and if something happens to me the house goes back to being soley hers?

one more question when my father passed was his IHT allowance of £325,000 passed...
          20-11-2019, 16:00 PM
        Working...
        X