Scrapping class 2 NI in 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrapping class 2 NI in 2019

Currently I understand an individual whose sole income is through renting properties is exempt from national insurance.

With the scrapping of class 2 next year is this likely to result in landlords in the above situation having to pay class 4 ni?

A long time since I looked at this so might be well out of date or totally wrong.
    My understanding is that class 2 contributions were/are voluntary for landlords. Not out of the goodness of HMRC's heart but because if they made it compulsory, then they would also have to give all the entitlements and benefits of running a 'pure' business.
    So I can't see class 4 contributions becoming compulsory next year although they probably will be allowed voluntarily.
    Might be worth topping up now at the lower class 2 rate if less than 30 years contributions to get a better pension.

Comment

I suspect pensions will be means tested by the time I get there. (14 years) In view of that, there seems little point in contributing anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        I suspect pensions will be means tested by the time I get there. (14 years) In view of that, there seems little point in contributing anything at all.
        In view of an unlikely suspicion you are going to miss out on one of the best investments you can make?
        Class 2 contributions are £2.95 per week, paying out nearly double that at retirement age, index linked, for the rest of your life.
        Check out comparable annuity rates.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

In view of an unlikely suspicion you are going to miss out on one of the best investments you can make?
          Class 2 contributions are £2.95 per week, paying out nearly double that at retirement age, index linked, for the rest of your life.
          Check out comparable annuity rates.
          So I pay them £3 a week for 30 years, and maybe get £6 a week for 15 years if I live to 82?

I'll stick with the properties, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

So I pay them £3 a week for 30 years, and maybe get £6 a week for 15 years if I live to 82?
            No, you get £164.35 a week, index linked. Like having another rental property but none of the work.

Chances are you've already contributed quite a few years from previous employment but maybe need to add a couple of years to get the full entitlement. At the lower class 2 rate of £2.95, it's a bargain. This is a last chance to take advantage before they remove it.

Strongly recommend you look into it properly.

I'll stick with the properties, I think.
            Do both.

Comment

So if class 2 are disappearing next year what class would a landlord who wanted to pay voluntary contributions pay? Would it be class 3?

Comment

Don't know Paul, I think it is still to be decided. It's an interesting subject you've raised that seems to have slipped under the radar.
                It should be class 4 IMHO but that would create all sorts of difficulties for HMRC, so maybe they will go for the class 3 easy option.
                So effectively a stealth tax on landlords of the difference between class 3 and class 2 contributions;

£14.65 - £2.95 = £11.70 per week
                30 years x 52 x £11.70 = a tax increase on landlords of £18,252.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can you claim expenses for furniture ?
                  craig2222
                  I am renting my house furnished.Can I claim the expenses on my tax return whatever I spend on furniture ? Thanks...
                  05-10-2018, 20:16 PM
                • Reply to Can you claim expenses for furniture ?
                  DPT57
                  The guide just gives these as examples of capital expenditure and goes on to say "you might be able to set them against Capital Gains Tax if you sell the property in the future". A bit later in the 'From 2016' section it says "The initial cost of purchasing domestic items for a dwelling...
                  19-10-2018, 11:02 AM
                • expenses claim
                  DanandSarah
                  Hi everyone. new here and a new landlord!

I work full time and do regular overtime. after saving i've managed to get as deposit together for a buy to let as an investment.

i have a weird question about expenses tho.

if in the first year if my property hasn't broken...
                  12-10-2018, 16:37 PM
                • Reply to expenses claim
                  DPT57
                  It also sounds like you need to learn the difference between revenue items, capital items and non-claimable items and how they are treated
                  19-10-2018, 10:08 AM
                  tatemono
                  According to the guide I linked to, they are:...
                  18-10-2018, 09:15 AM
                • Boiler repair before first tenancy
                  Pandy7370
                  Hi,

We have recently relocated to a new main residence and have let out our previous house/home.

The boiler in the house was old and had become very temperamental, and whilst we put up with luke warm water intermittently when we lived there it clearly wouldn’t be acceptable...
                  17-10-2018, 15:43 PM
                • Reply to Boiler repair before first tenancy
                  jpkeates
                  Strictly speaking it fails the test.

What I would do personally is claim it and deduct £200 for the use you had of it. You date the expense the first day of the first tenancy and hope nobody even looks at it.

Don’t mention the deduction, just put the figure on the return....
                  17-10-2018, 17:25 PM
                  DPT57
                  I don't think that the initial cost of furnishing a rental property is claimable against CGT. I think its only replacements against revenue income.
                  17-10-2018, 10:01 AM
                • Expenses
                  jase222
                  I have recently purchased a e bike, I wanted to know if I could claim it as a capital expense or claim 20p a mile or is it not a done thing
                  Cheers...
                  13-10-2018, 16:34 PM
                • Reply to Expenses
                  jpkeates
                  You have purchased an e-bike solely and exclusively for your property investment business?
                  14-10-2018, 12:51 PM
                Working...
                X