Scrapping class 2 NI in 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrapping class 2 NI in 2019

Currently I understand an individual whose sole income is through renting properties is exempt from national insurance.

With the scrapping of class 2 next year is this likely to result in landlords in the above situation having to pay class 4 ni?

A long time since I looked at this so might be well out of date or totally wrong.
    My understanding is that class 2 contributions were/are voluntary for landlords. Not out of the goodness of HMRC's heart but because if they made it compulsory, then they would also have to give all the entitlements and benefits of running a 'pure' business.
    So I can't see class 4 contributions becoming compulsory next year although they probably will be allowed voluntarily.
    Might be worth topping up now at the lower class 2 rate if less than 30 years contributions to get a better pension.

Comment

I suspect pensions will be means tested by the time I get there. (14 years) In view of that, there seems little point in contributing anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        I suspect pensions will be means tested by the time I get there. (14 years) In view of that, there seems little point in contributing anything at all.
        In view of an unlikely suspicion you are going to miss out on one of the best investments you can make?
        Class 2 contributions are £2.95 per week, paying out nearly double that at retirement age, index linked, for the rest of your life.
        Check out comparable annuity rates.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

In view of an unlikely suspicion you are going to miss out on one of the best investments you can make?
          Class 2 contributions are £2.95 per week, paying out nearly double that at retirement age, index linked, for the rest of your life.
          Check out comparable annuity rates.
          So I pay them £3 a week for 30 years, and maybe get £6 a week for 15 years if I live to 82?

I'll stick with the properties, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

So I pay them £3 a week for 30 years, and maybe get £6 a week for 15 years if I live to 82?
            No, you get £164.35 a week, index linked. Like having another rental property but none of the work.

Chances are you've already contributed quite a few years from previous employment but maybe need to add a couple of years to get the full entitlement. At the lower class 2 rate of £2.95, it's a bargain. This is a last chance to take advantage before they remove it.

Strongly recommend you look into it properly.

I'll stick with the properties, I think.
            Do both.

Comment

So if class 2 are disappearing next year what class would a landlord who wanted to pay voluntary contributions pay? Would it be class 3?

Comment

Don't know Paul, I think it is still to be decided. It's an interesting subject you've raised that seems to have slipped under the radar.
                It should be class 4 IMHO but that would create all sorts of difficulties for HMRC, so maybe they will go for the class 3 easy option.
                So effectively a stealth tax on landlords of the difference between class 3 and class 2 contributions;

£14.65 - £2.95 = £11.70 per week
                30 years x 52 x £11.70 = a tax increase on landlords of £18,252.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Let Property Campaign and past experience
                  JazzApples
                  Hi,
                  The ex-wife and I had a couple of rental properties which we've rented out for the past 2.5 years. The initial intention was to use the properties as an investment for the future, but we divorced after a year and never put our tax affairs in order. After the divorce, I wanted to declare the...
                  17-08-2018, 16:19 PM
                • Reply to Let Property Campaign and past experience
                  Gordon999
                  I expect both you and ex-wife have to submit tax return for rental profit for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 ( since you started letting 2.5 years ago and current year end profit cannot yet be computed ) .
                  So from the letting records of each property and for each year , you calculate the...
                  19-08-2018, 11:08 AM
                  jpkeates
                  First of all, I'd give your wife a heads up that she's about to get "done" if she doesn't already know.
                  I'd guess she's received the same letter, but you never know.

I'd use an accountant. Find one that's done this kind of thing before.
                  They'll know what the standard...
                  18-08-2018, 08:24 AM
                • Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
                  Juliaabc
                  Hi everyone. Never posted before because had nothing to add, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions or pointers before I start having to pay costs to set this up.

My query is this: I have a mortgaged property which has a consent to let agreed upon it. The property...
                  14-08-2018, 16:03 PM
                • Reply to Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
                  jpkeates
                  Some landlords pay tax via PAYE with HMRC approval.

Most landlords aren't "self employed", even if they complete a self assessment annually....
                  18-08-2018, 08:16 AM
                  g373
                  Hi again

I overlooked the fact that your profit was £20k per year so the tax and fine may be bigger. Was there a mortgage on these properties?

however, there may still be time register for self assessment for the 2017/18 tax year meaning there would be no fine for that year....
                  18-08-2018, 05:57 AM
                  JazzApples
                  g373,
                  Thanks for the information. I'm a basic rate tax payer and there were a few months of the property being empty, so will see on the fine.

Did you process the tax documents and submit yourself or use an accountant? From what I've see so far, it's mostly a matter of diligent record...
                  17-08-2018, 21:09 PM
                  theartfullodger
                  Oh right, "Child Benefit" isn't a benefit then......
                  17-08-2018, 20:39 PM
                  AndrewDod
                  Artful -- in casual conversation when most folk talk about benefits they are not talking about your "old age" pension "earned" mostly via paying national insurance contributions and tax (albeit not related to the quantity of that tax). Nor are they talking about the NHS, child benefit,...
                  17-08-2018, 19:26 PM
                  theartfullodger
                  Hmmmnnnn About half of the benefit spend goes on old people, like me. And, btw, the state pension keeps increasing very nicely thank you unlike, say, UC or JSA or ESA..

I start by cutting farming subsidies (did no harm in NZ..) and the sovereign grant....

Cheers!
                  17-08-2018, 19:17 PM
                Working...
                X