TiC 50/50. If we move to 90/10 via Form 17 will mortgage int still be 50/50 or 90/10?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TiC 50/50. If we move to 90/10 via Form 17 will mortgage int still be 50/50 or 90/10?

HI folks, I'm new here, and I am struggling to find a definitive answer to my question above. My husband and I would like to move from 50/50 Tenants in Common on a BTL to something that is more advantageous in terms of tax. We don't know how to crunch the numbers to determine the best future split, because while we understand that expenses eg council tax, repairs, etc will all divided according to the Form 17 future split, does the same apply to the mortgage or does it remain at 50/50 given that we are both jointly responsible for the whole of this loan in the lender's eyes regardless?
    Many thanks, I really appreciate any wisdom on this.

From the tax point of view you have to split both income and expenditure in the same way. One person cannot claim all the expenditure and another the income. That includes the mortgage.

Who actually pays the mortgage is a private matter between you.

Comment

You are both jointly responsible for all of the mortgage from the lender's perspective - it's a joint and several arrangement.
      That has no impact on the tax allowances, which are, as above, split in parallel with the income.

Note that the lender's terms and conditions may require them to agree to any change in ownership, title or beneficial.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Clarity at last!! Thank you both so much, I really appreciate your responses.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Let Property Campaign and past experience
          JazzApples
          Hi,
          The ex-wife and I had a couple of rental properties which we've rented out for the past 2.5 years. The initial intention was to use the properties as an investment for the future, but we divorced after a year and never put our tax affairs in order. After the divorce, I wanted to declare the...
          17-08-2018, 16:19 PM
        • Reply to Let Property Campaign and past experience
          Gordon999
          I expect both you and ex-wife have to submit tax return for rental profit for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 ( since you started letting 2.5 years ago and current year end profit cannot yet be computed ) .
          So from the letting records of each property and for each year , you calculate the...
          19-08-2018, 11:08 AM
          jpkeates
          First of all, I'd give your wife a heads up that she's about to get "done" if she doesn't already know.
          I'd guess she's received the same letter, but you never know.

I'd use an accountant. Find one that's done this kind of thing before.
          They'll know what the standard...
          18-08-2018, 08:24 AM
        • Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
          Juliaabc
          Hi everyone. Never posted before because had nothing to add, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions or pointers before I start having to pay costs to set this up.

My query is this: I have a mortgaged property which has a consent to let agreed upon it. The property...
          14-08-2018, 16:03 PM
        • Reply to Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
          jpkeates
          Some landlords pay tax via PAYE with HMRC approval.

Most landlords aren't "self employed", even if they complete a self assessment annually....
          18-08-2018, 08:16 AM
          g373
          Hi again

I overlooked the fact that your profit was £20k per year so the tax and fine may be bigger. Was there a mortgage on these properties?

however, there may still be time register for self assessment for the 2017/18 tax year meaning there would be no fine for that year....
          18-08-2018, 05:57 AM
          JazzApples
          g373,
          Thanks for the information. I'm a basic rate tax payer and there were a few months of the property being empty, so will see on the fine.

Did you process the tax documents and submit yourself or use an accountant? From what I've see so far, it's mostly a matter of diligent record...
          17-08-2018, 21:09 PM
          theartfullodger
          Oh right, "Child Benefit" isn't a benefit then......
          17-08-2018, 20:39 PM
          AndrewDod
          Artful -- in casual conversation when most folk talk about benefits they are not talking about your "old age" pension "earned" mostly via paying national insurance contributions and tax (albeit not related to the quantity of that tax). Nor are they talking about the NHS, child benefit,...
          17-08-2018, 19:26 PM
          theartfullodger
          Hmmmnnnn About half of the benefit spend goes on old people, like me. And, btw, the state pension keeps increasing very nicely thank you unlike, say, UC or JSA or ESA..

I start by cutting farming subsidies (did no harm in NZ..) and the sovereign grant....

Cheers!
          17-08-2018, 19:17 PM
        Working...
        X