TiC 50/50. If we move to 90/10 via Form 17 will mortgage int still be 50/50 or 90/10?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    TiC 50/50. If we move to 90/10 via Form 17 will mortgage int still be 50/50 or 90/10?

    HI folks, I'm new here, and I am struggling to find a definitive answer to my question above. My husband and I would like to move from 50/50 Tenants in Common on a BTL to something that is more advantageous in terms of tax. We don't know how to crunch the numbers to determine the best future split, because while we understand that expenses eg council tax, repairs, etc will all divided according to the Form 17 future split, does the same apply to the mortgage or does it remain at 50/50 given that we are both jointly responsible for the whole of this loan in the lender's eyes regardless?
    Many thanks, I really appreciate any wisdom on this.

    From the tax point of view you have to split both income and expenditure in the same way. One person cannot claim all the expenditure and another the income. That includes the mortgage.

    Who actually pays the mortgage is a private matter between you.


      You are both jointly responsible for all of the mortgage from the lender's perspective - it's a joint and several arrangement.
      That has no impact on the tax allowances, which are, as above, split in parallel with the income.

      Note that the lender's terms and conditions may require them to agree to any change in ownership, title or beneficial.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Clarity at last!! Thank you both so much, I really appreciate your responses.


        Latest Activity


        • Personal vs Limited
          Hey guys,

          I work part time and I'm also self employed with 2 rental properties. I'm currently still a middle rate tax payer and still some way off from being a higher rate tax payer as my income is below £40k.

          I want to buy another rental property or two soon so my question...
          24-05-2018, 15:39 PM
        • Reply to Personal vs Limited
          Thanks jpkeates, appreciate you responding. All roads seem to lead to speaking to an accountant, it's just that time is of essence and don't want to miss out on a good deal - before all these changes I'd have been progressing with the purchase by now.

          While I'm here though: are you able...
          24-05-2018, 17:03 PM
        • Reply to Personal vs Limited
          You need to talk this through with an accountant.

          There are so many different variables and lots of factors that are relevant you probably wouldn't want to share on a forum.
          24-05-2018, 16:21 PM
        • Rent a room scheme

          I have read up on this subject but I am unclear re the following scenario.

          I own my own home in Glasgow. This is my only home.

          I have been made redundant, and my work is offering relocation to London.

          I would like to retain my home in Glasgow -...
          24-05-2018, 13:59 PM
        • Reply to Rent a room scheme
          Based entirely on what you've said, it wouldn't be your home, so the occupant couldn't be a lodger, they'd be a tenant.

          There's no specific rule about what constitutes your residence, but from what you've described, you'd be living in London and visiting this property from time to time....
          24-05-2018, 14:07 PM
        • Admin time
          Is it possible to claim for admin time spent on my two buy-to-lets. I'm spending increasingly large amounts of time with tenant-related problems, bills, paperwork etc. Although I'm officially retired I think I need to change my profession to "property manager" as I'm on call 24/7 dealing...
          23-05-2018, 22:45 PM
        • Reply to Admin time
          But make sure you do claim for things you can validly claim for. Use of home as office, mileage etc.
          24-05-2018, 13:20 PM
        • Reply to Admin time
          Makes sense but better my time than being robbed by a managing agent as we were in the past.
          24-05-2018, 10:23 AM
        • can we do this??
          looking to buy another btl property want to put the property ideally in my name as i am the lower earner currently on maternity and going back part time.
          coming up against walls with my income with lenders could i put my other half on the mortgage but with the solicitor have it started the i own...
          24-05-2018, 09:36 AM
        • Reply to can we do this??
          You'd find it hard to get a mortgage that allows such a variation - your partner would be liable to repay the entire loan (if you were to die for example) and it would be secured on 1% of the property.

          On the other hand, there's no need.
          If you are not married, you can simply own...
          24-05-2018, 10:23 AM