Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp Duty queries

Hi there,

I am currently having one residential property. I am buying a residential property and making the current residential property as let to buy.

Do I have to pay 3% additional surcharge?

If my new residential purchase price is £452,000, please help me to calculate the Stamp Duty.

Thanks and regards.

I regret to say that you are liable for the premium on SDLT and based on a purchase price of £452000 that would amount to £26160. This is an extortionate amounted Pay but one which for the present is helping fill the tax coffers.

Comment

Hello Loanarranger,

Thanks for your prompt reply. However, I found the following on the below link:

https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-t...property-rates

"You’ll usually have to pay 3% on top of the normal SDLT rates if buying a new residential property means you’ll own more than one."

But as I am converting my current residential property into a buy to let, will I be still considered to have two residential property at the end of the transaction?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

There is sometimes confusion about this. If you keep your main residence I am pretty sure you will have to pay the 3% extra. If you have other properties that are not your main residence, but sell your main residence within 3 years, I am being lead to believe you would get a refund!!

Comment

Originally posted by abc777uu View Post
          But as I am converting my current residential property into a buy to let, will I be still considered to have two residential property at the end of the transaction?
          I can't speak for loanarranger, but yes.

You have a property you live in and buy another.

If you sell the first one as you buy the second (standard chain scenario), you only have one property at the end of the day of completion, so no second property surcharge is owe.

You can buy another property to live in without selling the first, when you move into it you would have two properties.
          So the second one is subject to +3% surcharge.
          If you sell the first property within (I think 18 months - the 3 years may have been a transitional arrangement, I forget), you can reclaim the 3% surcharge as you only have one property and the second was simply a timing issue.

You will continue to have two properties and will not be in a position to reclaim the surcharge.

Which is exactly the point of the tax - to make multi property ownership less attractive and increase the tax take.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks all..much appreciated.

Comment

I didn't even have to open my mouth in clarification , thanks JPkeates , cheque in the post.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X