Self Assessment SA105 Form help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Self Assessment SA105 Form help

    Myself and my wife own two unfurnished UK BTL properties. I am documenting the expenditure I have made on a spreadsheet but want to record it in a format that makes it easier to complete my SA105 form.
    I have a few items that I am unsure into what boxes the expenses goes on the SA105 form.
    • Replacement of combi boiler (box 25 Property repairs & maintenance or 36 Cost of replacing domestic items)
    • Replacement blinds (box 25 or 36)
    • Replacement Carpets (box 25 or 36)
    • Utilities costs incurred during unrented period. Gas, electric, Water & Council tax
    • Costs of tenant / guarantor checks through open rent
    Any help would be appreciated.

    1 - 25
    2 - 36
    3 - 36
    4 - 24 and 29 (I'd probably go for 24 myself, because council tax has to be there, and the rest are equivalent to rates).
    5 - 29

    You're not going to get penalised for putting things in the wrong box - they're all treated the same way, so putting them in the box is (essentially) just a way to allow HMRC to break down and analyse the data to look for anomalies.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Cheers thank you for your help


      Latest Activity


      • Rental Income Split
        hi All,
        Looking for a bit of advice on the way rental income is/can be taxed.
        Me and my wife jointly own a rental property 50:50 (previously our residential home but we have recently moved out).
        I am a higher rate tax payer and my wife is a basic rate payer as she only works part time....
        22-06-2018, 12:06 PM
      • Reply to Rental Income Split
        No. I am not saying the only way........

        The registration of your property is owned as "joint tenants" at Land Registry. This record shows the "legal ownership" and allows each joint tenant to claim 100% of the property if the other joint tenant dies . The...
        24-06-2018, 03:35 AM
      • Reply to Rental Income Split
        Thanks for the reply Gordon999.
        So are you saying the only way to have an uneven rental split is to change the ownership of the property and then use form 17 to match the rental split to the new property ownership?
        23-06-2018, 22:01 PM
      • Reply to Rental Income Split
        You +Wife should be declaring 50% of the rental profit on your tax returns . You can change the distribution by submitting Form 17 and a deed.of trust to prove the change from 50:50 to 1:99 or whatever.
        23-06-2018, 00:45 AM
      • Correcting mistake in your tax return
        I've made a mistake: What can I do?

        If you've paid too much tax because of a mistake on your tax return – for example by not claiming an allowance you were entitled to – you can correct your tax return within the first year of filing it - by 31 January 2018. To do this, you'll...
        22-06-2018, 13:12 PM
      • Redemption penalty offset
        Pacific Ocean
        Under the new tax rules, can a redemption penalty (on the mortgage) be offset against rental income from the same tax year?...
        20-06-2018, 00:56 AM
      • Reply to Redemption penalty offset
        The finance costs that will be restricted include interest on:
        • mortgages
        • loans - including loans to buy furnishings
        • overdrafts

        Other costs affected are:
        • alternative finance returns
        • fees and any other incidental costs for getting or repaying mortgages and loans
        • discounts, premiums and
        20-06-2018, 08:13 AM
      • Reply to Redemption penalty offset
        There's not much real life experience, but I'd presume that the redemption penalty is a finance cost and therefore subject to the same restriction on relief as interest.
        20-06-2018, 07:41 AM
      • Reply to Redemption penalty offset
        See advice for entry in box 26 , given in the SA105 Notes ( 2018)

        20-06-2018, 01:55 AM
      • relief on mortgage interest, self assessment
        Hi. I understand this is the first year of relief cuts on mortgage interest. What was 100% tax deductible is now only 75% tax deductible. On the tax return its asks for 'Loan Interest and other Financial Costs'. Do I put in the full 100% amount and they work it out or do I deduct the 25% off what I...
        19-06-2018, 19:45 PM