Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment SA105 Form help

Hi
    Myself and my wife own two unfurnished UK BTL properties. I am documenting the expenditure I have made on a spreadsheet but want to record it in a format that makes it easier to complete my SA105 form.
    I have a few items that I am unsure into what boxes the expenses goes on the SA105 form.
    • Replacement of combi boiler (box 25 Property repairs & maintenance or 36 Cost of replacing domestic items)
    • Replacement blinds (box 25 or 36)
    • Replacement Carpets (box 25 or 36)
    • Utilities costs incurred during unrented period. Gas, electric, Water & Council tax
    • Costs of tenant / guarantor checks through open rent
    Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 25
    2 - 36
    3 - 36
    4 - 24 and 29 (I'd probably go for 24 myself, because council tax has to be there, and the rest are equivalent to rates).
    5 - 29

You're not going to get penalised for putting things in the wrong box - they're all treated the same way, so putting them in the box is (essentially) just a way to allow HMRC to break down and analyse the data to look for anomalies.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Cheers thank you for your help

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Move to ltd company
        Helvie
        Hi,
        I read a lot about changing to a ltd company, at which point or why should this be done. I currently have 2 BTL and in the process of buying my third with a fourth on the cards for end of year or early next year. What is the best advice for this.

I am a tax free resident so...
        06-08-2018, 09:41 AM
      • Reply to Move to ltd company
        jpkeates
        You can't offset the repayment element of a mortgage against income (as an individual) - at least not in England, Scottish rules might be different.
        The position as a limited company would be slightly different, but not that much.
        21-08-2018, 12:04 PM
      • Question regarding upgrades in flat for tax relief
        Helvie
        Hi,
        Im unsure as to what i can claim tax relief on. I have to replace a gas boiler as the current one isnt working properly, can i claim relief on this ? im also a registered heating engineer so doing the work myself purely material costs.

Is there a way i could invoice my property...
        05-08-2018, 13:03 PM
      • Reply to Question regarding upgrades in flat for tax relief
        Helvie
        Well if it’s tax deductible then say I pay £1k for a boiler then my profit at end of year would be £1k less so wouldn’t pay tax on that amount....
        21-08-2018, 09:42 AM
      • Reply to Move to ltd company
        Helvie
        I’m talking about profit after mortgage and other payments are made., ie insurance, boiler contract etc. They are both on repayment mortgages so less monthly profit than interest only....
        21-08-2018, 09:39 AM
      • Seeking a professional tax expert please
        Landlord2015
        Fed-up of all the attacks on the BTL sector by the government and the ever-increasing red tape and hassles of managing tenants, so I'm looking to sell my portfolio of UK BTL properties and invest a fairly large sum into equities etc. from which to receive an annual 'retirement' income.

20-08-2018, 12:26 PM
      • Let Property Campaign and past experience
        JazzApples
        Hi,
        The ex-wife and I had a couple of rental properties which we've rented out for the past 2.5 years. The initial intention was to use the properties as an investment for the future, but we divorced after a year and never put our tax affairs in order. After the divorce, I wanted to declare the...
        17-08-2018, 16:19 PM
      • Reply to Let Property Campaign and past experience
        Gordon999
        I expect both you and ex-wife have to submit tax return for rental profit for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 ( since you started letting 2.5 years ago and current year end profit cannot yet be computed ) .
        So from the letting records of each property and for each year , you calculate the...
        19-08-2018, 11:08 AM
      • Reply to Let Property Campaign and past experience
        jpkeates
        First of all, I'd give your wife a heads up that she's about to get "done" if she doesn't already know.
        I'd guess she's received the same letter, but you never know.

I'd use an accountant. Find one that's done this kind of thing before.
        They'll know what the standard...
        18-08-2018, 08:24 AM
      • Becoming self employed to become your tenant's gardener?
        Juliaabc
        Hi everyone. Never posted before because had nothing to add, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions or pointers before I start having to pay costs to set this up.

My query is this: I have a mortgaged property which has a consent to let agreed upon it. The property...
        14-08-2018, 16:03 PM
      Working...
      X