Self Assessment SA105 Form help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment SA105 Form help

Myself and my wife own two unfurnished UK BTL properties. I am documenting the expenditure I have made on a spreadsheet but want to record it in a format that makes it easier to complete my SA105 form.
    I have a few items that I am unsure into what boxes the expenses goes on the SA105 form.
    • Replacement of combi boiler (box 25 Property repairs & maintenance or 36 Cost of replacing domestic items)
    • Replacement blinds (box 25 or 36)
    • Replacement Carpets (box 25 or 36)
    • Utilities costs incurred during unrented period. Gas, electric, Water & Council tax
    • Costs of tenant / guarantor checks through open rent
    Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 25
    2 - 36
    3 - 36
    4 - 24 and 29 (I'd probably go for 24 myself, because council tax has to be there, and the rest are equivalent to rates).
    5 - 29

You're not going to get penalised for putting things in the wrong box - they're all treated the same way, so putting them in the box is (essentially) just a way to allow HMRC to break down and analyse the data to look for anomalies.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Cheers thank you for your help

Latest Activity

• Additional Stamp duty
        Last year I changed my main residence to a buy to let mortgage and brought a new house as my main residence. My solicitor said that I must pay additional stamp duty so I paid the additional 3%. However I was buying a new residential main address, not a buy to let. I do also own another property that...
        15-03-2018, 09:54 AM
      • Reply to Additional Stamp duty
        I actually thought, (like most people here I believe) that even if you sold your main residence you would still pay the higher rate because you have more than one property.

Obviously if this article is correct then you can own as many houses as you like, and not pay the higher rate as long...
        23-03-2018, 10:02 AM
      • Tenants in common
        Hi Taxperts,

I’m currently a higher rate payer whilst my wife is at the lower rate. I’m looking at purchasing x3 further btl properties as tenants in common with my wife owning 99% shares and me 1. As my wife’s credit history isn’t as strong as mine I would like to A: get advice...
        20-03-2018, 13:34 PM
      • Reply to Tenants in common
        I agree that " The bit you cite from HMRC is not saying that a beneficial joint tenancy is magically and simultaneously not a beneficial joint tenancy (the only other alternative is TiC) if there is a deed of trust." I don't think that.

What I am saying is that a Joint Tenancy...
        22-03-2018, 12:21 PM
        Yes, but that conceptual state to which you refer is not a Beneficial Joint tenancy (an undivided single share as opposed to TiC). The "widespread use of declarations of trust" is not in beneficial joint tenancies.

No, there does not have to be explicit declaration of proportions...
        22-03-2018, 10:40 AM
        It exists as more than a concept.

[/LIST]That's from HMRC internal manual - Trusts, Settlements and Estates Manual - link as per above.

Tenants in common don't have any presumption of ownership shares, they have an explicit declaration of those shares. Which can be in conflict...
        22-03-2018, 10:04 AM
      • Remortgage interest deductable?
        Long story short!

Bought flat for 126k (current value 188k), currently owe 75k, just remortgaged for 105k (withdrew 30k to replenish emergency fund due to wedding depleting current one)

My understanding is that unless I reinvest this 30k back into my business I will not be...
        21-03-2018, 19:17 PM
      • Reply to Remortgage interest deductable?
        If the flat is rented, you can claim tax relief (new limited version) as per the original loan, up to a maximum loan amount of £126k

It doesn't matter what the money is for, it matters that it's taken out on a business property.
        22-03-2018, 09:55 AM
      • Section 20 tax deductable?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

I have recently recieved a section 20 notice for refurb of the common areas of my block of flats (shared) yet to know the cost!

my question is if the cost is substantial i.e 1-3k can i deduct that in the whole amount as an...
        21-03-2018, 18:55 PM
      • Reply to Section 20 tax deductable?
        It's just a service charge. If it is a business expense, you should be able to set it off.

Although service charges are normally revenue, ex-council property service charges may include capital items.
        21-03-2018, 23:09 PM