Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment SA105 Form help

Hi
    Myself and my wife own two unfurnished UK BTL properties. I am documenting the expenditure I have made on a spreadsheet but want to record it in a format that makes it easier to complete my SA105 form.
    I have a few items that I am unsure into what boxes the expenses goes on the SA105 form.
    • Replacement of combi boiler (box 25 Property repairs & maintenance or 36 Cost of replacing domestic items)
    • Replacement blinds (box 25 or 36)
    • Replacement Carpets (box 25 or 36)
    • Utilities costs incurred during unrented period. Gas, electric, Water & Council tax
    • Costs of tenant / guarantor checks through open rent
    Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 25
    2 - 36
    3 - 36
    4 - 24 and 29 (I'd probably go for 24 myself, because council tax has to be there, and the rest are equivalent to rates).
    5 - 29

You're not going to get penalised for putting things in the wrong box - they're all treated the same way, so putting them in the box is (essentially) just a way to allow HMRC to break down and analyse the data to look for anomalies.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Cheers thank you for your help

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
        crossannie101
        I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
        14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
      • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
        Gordon999
        I suggest you ask the tax office to send you a paper version tax return for first year submission ( before 31 st Oct ) .

Next year if you understand the system, change to online tax return .
        19-07-2019, 17:48 PM
        crossannie101
        Thank you Gordon999 and JKO, both very interesting. I do the book-keeping and use a spreadsheet with all income and outgoings, plus bank account, so when I hand it over to the person who submits they literally enter the info provided and submit. They offered to submit our CS01 for £40 plus VAT, which...
        19-07-2019, 10:47 AM
      • don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
        MOONRIVER
        Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
        Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
        I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
        02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
      • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
        tatemono
        I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
        17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
        JK0
        I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
        16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
        Gordon999
        If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
        16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
        crossannie101
        Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
        15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
        Gordon999
        Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
        14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
      • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
        MdeB
        I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
        There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
        12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
      Working...
      X