If I move back into my BTL can I PPR for the last 30 years??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I move back into my BTL can I PPR for the last 30 years??

Hi I hope this forum can help for my CGT/PPR problem,

I bought House A with my wife in 1987 for £82000 and lived there as my PPR until 2000.
    I bought House B (my current property) in 2000 for £230000.
    I let House A from 2000 to present as a BTL.
    I have a repayment mortgage on each of £50000
    House A is currently worth circa £600,000
    House B is currently worth circa £900,000

Question:-

If I sell my current PPR (House B) and move back into House A for say a year and treat it as my PPR (Including Nominating with HMRC, electoral roll, utilities in in my name etc) and then sell it does my PPR cover me for no tax on the House A??

I am obviously looking to minimise my CGT liability over bot house whilst liquidating my portfolio
    regards
    Hugh

If you have £600K in capital gains , you should be consulting a qualified tax accountant and not be misled by forum comment which may not be correct.

You can only claim ONE property as your main residence at any time.

If you claim House B is your main residence from 2000 -2018, you cannot claim House A as your residence during 2000-2018 period .

Comment

You can't have the house as your PPR when it is not your PPR. So no.

You have lived there for about 45% of the time -- so that will cut the taxable gain by about a half, and there will be various exemptions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
        hmmlee
        Hi there. I live in a Victorian property which has been divided into 5 flats.
        Several years ago, three of the flat owners (including myself) purchased the freehold. The two remaining flat owners decided that they would not participate in the freehold purchase.
        A company was formed for the...
        17-07-2018, 11:10 AM
      • Reply to Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
        Gordon999
        Normally the freehold company will report the income received from lease extension as "annual profit" in its annual acounts which are produced after the year end.

The profit will be reported in the tax return and about 13 months later the company get a tax bill of around 20%....
        18-07-2018, 15:43 PM
      • Banana Skin
        Flashback1966
        I feel I have messed up my life. Despite working hard, I have landed on a banana skin.

I bought a 3 bedroom house many years ago. It seemed like a nice area. Little did I know, nearby the local housing associations had housed the thugs like the Kray twins and their chums. It was a "problem...
        17-07-2018, 15:22 PM
      • Reply to Banana Skin
        jpkeates
        CGT is only 18% (28 If you earn a lot). You still get 82% of any increase in value.
        Plus the rental income.
        18-07-2018, 07:00 AM
      • Reply to Banana Skin
        Gordon999
        If you quote some details : we can work out roughly the cgt.

When you bought the property and the price paid
        Dates when you lived in the property.
        Market value now .
        17-07-2018, 19:26 PM
        hmmlee
        Thank you very much for your response - I appreciate any assistance.
        The only trouble is that there are two companies involved (I should have mentioned this previously!)
        One company is the freehold company (representing the interests of the freeholders - collecting ground rent, leasehold...
        17-07-2018, 16:28 PM
        JK0
        I'd leave the money in the company, and relieve the directors of paying service charge until such time as the cash is depleted.
        17-07-2018, 15:43 PM
      • Reply to Banana Skin
        JK0
        Be thankful there is an increase to pay CGT on.

I bought a flat in Torquay in 2005 for £185k. Someone turned the bungalow next door into a house, wiping out my sea views and about £60k of value. It has now been for sale for £175k for a month without a sniff.

Presumably your...
        17-07-2018, 15:37 PM
        hmmlee
        Thanks. We acted as a limited company in order to process the lease extension. The limited company comprises the three freeholders..
        17-07-2018, 15:24 PM
        Flashback1966
        Was the lease bought in your personal names or in a limited company?
        17-07-2018, 14:51 PM
      Working...
      X