Setting up own maintenance co to work on own portfolio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up own maintenance co to work on own portfolio

Hello - I have just retired as a builder/plumber. I have 4 rental properties and find it frustrating that I do work on these properties and yet cannot claim for my labour costs. I am considering setting up a small handyman company to do odd jobs for neighbours, family and friends. Could I then invoice myself when doing work on my own properties. I realise I will have to pay income tax on my income from the business, but could equally off set works vehicle, etc. Furthermore, I want to extend one of the houses and then sell it. Could I also invoice myself for my labour which could be set against Capital Gains tax when selling???
    Thank you in advance for any advice offered.
    Kev

Connected companies invoicing each other is always going to look dodgy.
    It's one of those things that only huge companies seem to be able to get away with.

If you are legitimately working for many others and occasionally working for your property business it's probably going to be OK.
    But it's not guaranteed to be OK, it's a question of degree and HMRC may take the "wrong" view.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You have to understand the way your income is taxed by HMRC.

e.g 1. Your left hand receives £5000 from doing handyman jobs and your right hand receives £10, 000 profit from rental properties.

Your total annual income .= £5000 + £10,000 = £15,000 and you will pay tax on this income.

e.g 2 Your left hand receives £5000 from doing handyman jobs.and your right hand receives £10,000 profit from rental properties but your left hand fixes a leaking tap and invoices the right hand for £10,000.
      So at year-end, your left hand receives £15,000 from doing handyman jobs but right hand receives £0 profit from the rental properties.
      Your total annual income = £15,000 + £0 - £15,000. and you will pay tax on this income.

So Tax Office has ruled that you are not allowed to charge for your own labour. .

Re ; Adding kitchen extension or conservatory to a house and selling, you may be charged capital gains tax on the profit but you are not allowed to charge for your own labour.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Furnished Holiday Let - Tax Questions
        ChaseNRainbows
        Hi I have a property that I'm letting through a short term holiday letting company. All seems good so far, but can someone let me know how the tax works on this? Its located in Brighton if that makes a difference?

Also as this is a "furnished Holiday Let" what can I get away with...
        13-07-2018, 15:17 PM
      • Reply to Furnished Holiday Let - Tax Questions
        mariner
        BBC Moneybox today suggested new rules in Oct will require LL to spend min 1 night in holiday Let to gain any tax advantage for duration of Let.
        15-07-2018, 22:46 PM
        MdeB
        1. You speak to a tax inspector, not the person that answers the phone (phone your own tax office, or the one local to you).
        2. Get the tax inspector to put the advice in writing to you.

I have done this several times.
        Once I was given unsolicited information that allowed me...
        15-07-2018, 14:45 PM
        jpkeates
        Personally, I wouldn't take advice from HMRC, a) the people manning the phone aren't qualifies and b) it's like taking legal advice from the police about a criminal matter.

You need to sit down and talk it through with an accountant in some detail (I'd imagine Brighton has quite a lot of...
        14-07-2018, 08:35 AM
        MdeB
        Best to phone in and ask a tax inspector.

But, I believe the position includes:
        • To get any tax relief, the property has to be available to let for at least 210 days each tax year and actually let at least 105 days each tax year.
          if property is bought part-way through a tax year,
        13-07-2018, 21:29 PM
      • Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
        multipropertyguy
        I own a number of properties, earn over the 40% threshold, trade as a private individual and do a self assessment return each year for Land & Property.

Now, I'm looking at a new property, but commercial this time, I'm 50/50 about setting up a Ltd company to purchase the new property...
        11-07-2018, 13:17 PM
      • Reply to Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
        loanarranger
        A limited company doesn’t have to have been operating before you buy your first property within it, indeed many lenders will use your personal involvement in Property as a measure of credibility.
        If you decide to include your children , are they over 17 years of age and what percentage will...
        11-07-2018, 20:04 PM
      • Capital gains sale
        leehen
        Hello

Wonder if you can help.

I own a currently rented out property and looking to sell.

Its a little confusing hence my question.

So to run down a timeline

March 14 - bought the flat on a shared ownership basis - 50% of full value of...
        07-07-2018, 20:10 PM
      • Reply to Capital gains sale
        Gordon999
        Your total buying cost = GBP 163K . So if you sell at 280K , then your total gain = 280K-163K = GBP 117K .

Your total period of ownership from Mar 14 to Sept 2018 = 4 years + 6 Months = 4.5 years..

Your period of former main residence = March 14 -April 16 + 18 Months from...
        09-07-2018, 19:48 PM
      • Reply to Capital gains sale
        leehen
        Hi
        Thanks for your reply
        Estimated sale price is 280,000.
        Thanks
        Lee
        09-07-2018, 18:14 PM
      Working...
      X