need for an accountant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need for an accountant

Just a quick ask - is their a bit of a rule of when to appoint an accountant - i spoke to one who was going to charge £250 a year yet my tax return was less than this. However as things are progressing i was wondering when would be best time to appoint one. My return initially appears quite straight forward in so much as i declare my profit minus my expenses. Im soon to have 6 properties. which will generate an additional income to my day job which is PAYE.

I have made mistakes in teh past re self assessment which where genuine enough and not catastrophic. I will not be seeking to run an business re the letting of these properties i will be i assume a sole trader, Yet would the advice be to start looking at this venture as a business from the very beginning. My mortgage adviser suggests it would cost to register the properties in a business as apposed to solely in my name.

any advice welcome.

You may want to include a decent chat with your accountant as part of the fee - I meet up with mine every year and walk through the business and any changes that might make sense.

Whether you run your businesses as a company or as an individual is an important one, I would run my businesses as a company if starting now, for example, which was not the case when I actually did start out, but the transition cost would wipe out the benefit of change.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

so could i run my current portfolio of properties as an individual and future purchases as a potential business. I definitely need an accountant.

Comment

If you are already paying 40% rate tax on your income , the fee of £250 quoted by one accountant is actually costing you only £150 p.a

Comment

it won't actually cost you anything if you put it down as an allowable expense and your tax bill comes to more than that in any case.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• BTL property, wife's property or both our property?
            Loftmonster
            Hello,

First off appologies for joining and going straight in with a question. I promise i will try my best to positively contribute in the future.

My wife and i are in the process of remortging our home as a BTL and purchasing a new home to live in. The BTL is in my wife's...
            13-08-2019, 10:11 AM
          • Reply to BTL property, wife's property or both our property?
            jpkeates
            Landlords are easy to tax, no one likes us.

It is anti-marriage though, which is usually a bad look in politics.
            25-08-2019, 09:03 AM
          • Reply to BTL property, wife's property or both our property?
            Kape65
            jpkeates,

That's just mean! He may get stung twice then. He's going to get hit with 3% buying a new family home and then get hit again if he goes half on the BTL.
            24-08-2019, 21:54 PM
          • PPR & LETTINGS RELIEF - SELLING BUY TO LET
            terrihaz
            I am looking for some advice on the new rules regarding ppr and lettings relief due to come into being in 2020.

I purchased a flat in July 2004 for £38,000 and lived there until July 2006 (24 months) when I purchased another house. I subsequently let the flat out from July 2008 until
            24-08-2019, 20:33 PM
          • Help me understand my tax bill please
            Switch
            Hi

To give a quick background summary:
            I have a rental property. It is my old house that I rented out when I moved to another area due to my work.
            I was working as a sole trader so did my income and rental taxes together which probably disguised what I'm seeing now.
            24-08-2019, 15:57 PM
          • Reply to Help me understand my tax bill please
            AndrewDod
            As above - your profit is £5400 - so you are not paying more tax than your profit.

No tax paid is not an allowable expense! For CGT or anything else .....

We presume you are a higher rate tax payer in your main job -- or the rental income of £5400 is making you higher ra...
            24-08-2019, 19:03 PM
            Switch
            Thanks Leaseholder, I understand that capital payments have never been allowable. I know it sounds naive, but when I was paying my sole trader tax I never really saw the impact of the rental income tax. I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation of what I am seeing, does it seem right - Paying more...
            24-08-2019, 18:30 PM
            leaseholder64
            The mortgage capital repayments have never been allowable against income tax. they are represent part of the acquisition cost,which is allowable against capital gains tax.
            24-08-2019, 18:14 PM
          • Trading allowance and my tax bill
            Jazzert100
            My two sons look after my properties whilst I am on holiday.
            If I make a payement to each of them of £1000 each for this service can I declare this as an expense on my tax return?
            In addition can they take the money and not declare it under the trader's allowance.............
            01-08-2019, 14:25 PM
          • Reply to Trading allowance and my tax bill
            Gordon999
            The trading allowance applies only to self-employed persons :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free...trading-income.

You can pay your sons for providing "holiday cover service" but the sons would have to declared the payments as part of their...
            24-08-2019, 15:58 PM
          Working...
          X