need for an accountant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need for an accountant

Just a quick ask - is their a bit of a rule of when to appoint an accountant - i spoke to one who was going to charge £250 a year yet my tax return was less than this. However as things are progressing i was wondering when would be best time to appoint one. My return initially appears quite straight forward in so much as i declare my profit minus my expenses. Im soon to have 6 properties. which will generate an additional income to my day job which is PAYE.

I have made mistakes in teh past re self assessment which where genuine enough and not catastrophic. I will not be seeking to run an business re the letting of these properties i will be i assume a sole trader, Yet would the advice be to start looking at this venture as a business from the very beginning. My mortgage adviser suggests it would cost to register the properties in a business as apposed to solely in my name.

any advice welcome.

You may want to include a decent chat with your accountant as part of the fee - I meet up with mine every year and walk through the business and any changes that might make sense.

Whether you run your businesses as a company or as an individual is an important one, I would run my businesses as a company if starting now, for example, which was not the case when I actually did start out, but the transition cost would wipe out the benefit of change.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

so could i run my current portfolio of properties as an individual and future purchases as a potential business. I definitely need an accountant.

Comment

If you are already paying 40% rate tax on your income , the fee of £250 quoted by one accountant is actually costing you only £150 p.a

Comment

it won't actually cost you anything if you put it down as an allowable expense and your tax bill comes to more than that in any case.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Allowable expenses on property income
            Landlord123!
            Hi,

Are the following costs allowable (tax deductible) expenses on property income?

1. Accountant fees for compiling and submitting my self assessment every year.

2. Legal fees for transferring the ownership of the property from my sole name to joint names (with...
            25-05-2018, 11:30 AM
          • Reply to Allowable expenses on property income
            jpkeates
            I don't see that.

A fee paid to a solicitor for legal advice or for conveyancing is not a "fee paid for ...registration of title on property purchase".
            That's something that would be paid to the land registry.

It's an anomalous exception in any case, because...
            26-05-2018, 09:40 AM
            AndrewDod
            Correct. And not legal fees relating to this aspect either....
            26-05-2018, 09:11 AM
          • Rent a room scheme
            K335D
            Hi,

I have read up on this subject but I am unclear re the following scenario.

I own my own home in Glasgow. This is my only home.

I have been made redundant, and my work is offering relocation to London.

I would like to retain my home in Glasgow -...
            24-05-2018, 13:59 PM
          • Reply to Rent a room scheme
            theartfullodger
            Gordon spot on, but in Scotland a lodger is does not have a licence but a "common law tenancy" (paperwork suggestions Gordon makes I'd agree with...) and if he doesn't go when asked you need a Sheriff Court decree - see...
            https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_...vice_topics/re...
            26-05-2018, 08:43 AM
            Gordon999
            There is nothing to prevent OP keeping his home in Glasgow and taking on a lodger.

But the lodger must be covered by a licence stating the payment of rent ( weekly or fortnightly or monthly ) and what notice period must be served to quit by each side .

https://www.gov.uk/p...
            26-05-2018, 04:16 AM
            Gordon999
            The Notes for SA105 Tax return gives the expenses for entering in box 27 as shown below :

Box 27 Legal, management and other professional fees

You can claim:
            • management fees paid to an agent for rent collection, advertising and administration
            • legal and...
            26-05-2018, 02:10 AM
            AndrewDod
            I am not sure I agree on the legal fees for transferral jp.

Take spouse part out of it as that complicates it. If I were to transfer part of a property to my friend, that cost of transfer would be capital and offset against later capital gains. Not really different from selling the whole...
            25-05-2018, 19:14 PM
            jpkeates
            If the property is let or about to be let, 2 is definitely allowable.

1 is debatable.
            It's something that everyone does (including me), but it probably fails the solely and exclusively test, so it probably shouldn't be allowed.
            For many people, the need for it arises as a direct...
            25-05-2018, 12:42 PM
            jpkeates
            There's a significant difference between a main residence for tax purposes and a main residence for a property licence.
            You can nominate your principle residence for tax purposes (as many MPs do) which is fine for tax purposes.

It doesn't have the same effect when it comes to determining...
            25-05-2018, 09:35 AM
          Working...
          X