need for an accountant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need for an accountant

Just a quick ask - is their a bit of a rule of when to appoint an accountant - i spoke to one who was going to charge £250 a year yet my tax return was less than this. However as things are progressing i was wondering when would be best time to appoint one. My return initially appears quite straight forward in so much as i declare my profit minus my expenses. Im soon to have 6 properties. which will generate an additional income to my day job which is PAYE.

I have made mistakes in teh past re self assessment which where genuine enough and not catastrophic. I will not be seeking to run an business re the letting of these properties i will be i assume a sole trader, Yet would the advice be to start looking at this venture as a business from the very beginning. My mortgage adviser suggests it would cost to register the properties in a business as apposed to solely in my name.

any advice welcome.

You may want to include a decent chat with your accountant as part of the fee - I meet up with mine every year and walk through the business and any changes that might make sense.

Whether you run your businesses as a company or as an individual is an important one, I would run my businesses as a company if starting now, for example, which was not the case when I actually did start out, but the transition cost would wipe out the benefit of change.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

so could i run my current portfolio of properties as an individual and future purchases as a potential business. I definitely need an accountant.

Comment

If you are already paying 40% rate tax on your income , the fee of £250 quoted by one accountant is actually costing you only £150 p.a

Comment

it won't actually cost you anything if you put it down as an allowable expense and your tax bill comes to more than that in any case.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X