need for an accountant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need for an accountant

Just a quick ask - is their a bit of a rule of when to appoint an accountant - i spoke to one who was going to charge £250 a year yet my tax return was less than this. However as things are progressing i was wondering when would be best time to appoint one. My return initially appears quite straight forward in so much as i declare my profit minus my expenses. Im soon to have 6 properties. which will generate an additional income to my day job which is PAYE.

I have made mistakes in teh past re self assessment which where genuine enough and not catastrophic. I will not be seeking to run an business re the letting of these properties i will be i assume a sole trader, Yet would the advice be to start looking at this venture as a business from the very beginning. My mortgage adviser suggests it would cost to register the properties in a business as apposed to solely in my name.

any advice welcome.

You may want to include a decent chat with your accountant as part of the fee - I meet up with mine every year and walk through the business and any changes that might make sense.

Whether you run your businesses as a company or as an individual is an important one, I would run my businesses as a company if starting now, for example, which was not the case when I actually did start out, but the transition cost would wipe out the benefit of change.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

so could i run my current portfolio of properties as an individual and future purchases as a potential business. I definitely need an accountant.

Comment

If you are already paying 40% rate tax on your income , the fee of £250 quoted by one accountant is actually costing you only £150 p.a

Comment

it won't actually cost you anything if you put it down as an allowable expense and your tax bill comes to more than that in any case.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Banana Skin
            Flashback1966
            I feel I have messed up my life. Despite working hard, I have landed on a banana skin.

I bought a 3 bedroom house many years ago. It seemed like a nice area. Little did I know, nearby the local housing associations had housed the thugs like the Kray twins and their chums. It was a "problem...
            17-07-2018, 15:22 PM
          • Reply to Banana Skin
            JamesHopeful
            Flashback1996,

There is quite a bit which doesn't make sense to me about your post:
            • Inner London always has had a mix of tenures and socio-economic classes living cheek-by-jowel with each other (in some ways it's one of the great things about it), and the the East End (I assume this is
            22-07-2018, 13:06 PM
          • Bringing forward losses and phasing in Section 24: a self-assessment form headache
            JamesHopeful
            In 2017/18 I made a profit of £32,918 on my lettings, but I had a loss from the previous tax year of around £40,000 which, if brought forward, would both completely wipe out my tax liability for 2017/18 and leave me with a further loss of around £7,000 to bring forward to 2018/19. So far, so simple....
            22-07-2018, 12:24 PM
          • Reply to Banana Skin
            Claymore
            You will also get Letting Relief and Private Residence Relief and your personal Annual Allowance for CGT. Your bill maybe a lot less than you think.
            19-07-2018, 23:10 PM
          • Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?
            craig2222
            I currently earn £25000 from my job.I have 2 rental properties that bring in £12480 per year.I am thinking about buying another that would bring the total to £18720. £18720 plus £25000 is £43720. I'm I right in thinking as long as I am below the £46000 higher tax bracket I am OK and the new tax...
            19-07-2018, 16:05 PM
          • Reply to Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?
            mariner
            I think your assessed Tax Band is the key, not your Income, which can vary. eg Benefit in Kind, net profit from property etc
            Govt can easily alter qualifying Income.
            19-07-2018, 16:46 PM
          • Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
            hmmlee
            Hi there. I live in a Victorian property which has been divided into 5 flats.
            Several years ago, three of the flat owners (including myself) purchased the freehold. The two remaining flat owners decided that they would not participate in the freehold purchase.
            A company was formed for the...
            17-07-2018, 11:10 AM
          • Reply to Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
            Gordon999
            Normally the freehold company will report the income received from lease extension as "annual profit" in its annual acounts which are produced after the year end.

The profit will be reported in the tax return and about 13 months later the company get a tax bill of around 20%....
            18-07-2018, 15:43 PM
          • Reply to Banana Skin
            jpkeates
            CGT is only 18% (28 If you earn a lot). You still get 82% of any increase in value.
            Plus the rental income.
            18-07-2018, 07:00 AM
          • Reply to Banana Skin
            Gordon999
            If you quote some details : we can work out roughly the cgt.

When you bought the property and the price paid
            Dates when you lived in the property.
            Market value now .
            17-07-2018, 19:26 PM
          Working...
          X