Tax first time - a bit late ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax first time - a bit late ...

Hi , I live in England and rented a London property for a year from early March 2017. All 12 months rent were paid up front. I also have a full time job.

I'm guessing the entire 12 months payment counts towards (2016/2017) because it was made before April 1st 2017?

I'd like to notify the tax man - I think it should have been by last Oct 2017 so may be at risk or penalties ..

Should I just quickly notify HMRC now and then work out the figures later?

Also I'd like to try doing this without an accountant. Is that a bad idea? [I'm good at maths, hate finance, but I've filled out Self Assesments ok before

Is there a recommended site that clearly steps through allowable expenses etc or is HMRC site the best?

I think you received one month rent in March 2017 ( tax year 2016-2017 ) and 11 months rent during April 2017- Feb 2018 ( tax year 2017-2018).

So send a letter to notify HMRC and request advice of what tax return is required to be submitted

Comment

When you received the rent depends on whether you are accounting on a cash or accrual basis. All limited companies and larger sole traders need to use accruals. HMRC prefer everyone to use accruals, but allow cash, for very small sole traders, because accruals is a more difficult concept to grasp.

With accruals, the money is treated as received when it is due, not when it is received, and only one month would actually have become due. With cash, the whole amount has been received.

If you opt for accruals, you need to be consistent about that. Note, with accruals, if the tenant pays late, the rent is still taxable when they should have paid. If you pay any utilities, you need to split the last bill across the two tax years.

To avoid penalties, I believe you will need to pay at least the final tax due by the end of today. I assume you will be OK if you pay too much, as it can be adjusted when HMRC make their calculations.

Comment

Thanks - I called HMRC - Calculated approx tax for the month (rent - 100% of interest only mortgage) * my current tax band, put a tenner on top, and paid with my NI number as reference (as UTR is in the post).

I didnt really buy anothing more until after 1st April (Gardening equipment)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
          by BIGGYBIBIG
          Thank you, so am i right in saying Because I already own a property it would be 3% which is the higher rate band?
          As the
          SDLT relief for multiple dwellings would still apply but at the higher rate bracket?...
          10-08-2022, 23:25 PM
        • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
          by BIGGYBIBIG
          Hello everyone,
          I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
          10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
          by DoricPixie
          As you already own a residential dwelling which is presumably worth over £40,000 the higher rate of SDLT will apply to your multiple dwelling SDLT calculation.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...ual/sdltm09766
          10-08-2022, 22:50 PM
          by BIGGYBIBIG
          I don`t make the rules my friend,,, i could easily have bought a block of flats the other day,,, tenanted by most of them for over 5 years 10 years 12 years etc,,, all long term but the state of the place i would not let my dog live like that,,, if it were all about money that would have been a great...
          10-08-2022, 19:44 PM
          by AndrewDod
          I don't know the answer, but if true this would be an absolute outrage.

Some little kid buying their own home where granny left them a quarter of a house that is rented out pays 3% additional tax

Someone who buys 8 properties pays 1%

Pity us all
          10-08-2022, 19:32 PM
        • Passing it on
          by royw
          I'm about to make a will and would like to check my assumptions are correct. Beneficiaries are OH (we're married) and DD. Some BTLs are in my sole ownership, others are joint tenants with OH. There is a large CGT liability on all of them if I were to sell. DD is an adult but IMO a bit too young for...
          10-08-2022, 14:16 PM
        • Reply to Passing it on
          by SouthernDave
          DD!!? This isn’t mums net you know...
          10-08-2022, 19:07 PM
        • Reply to Passing it on
          by jpkeates
          The IHT threshold would be £650k.
          The other £350k applies for the disposal of the main residence only.

Just been dealing with exactly all this.
          10-08-2022, 17:44 PM
        • Reply to Passing it on
          by Neelix
          Not sure I agree with this.

As a married person on the first death the estate can pass to the surviving partner meaning the IHT threshold on their death will be £1 million, then on their death ........
          10-08-2022, 17:32 PM
        • Reply to Passing it on
          by AndrewDod
          1 - yes you can and will pay duplicate tax (assuming both types are due)
          2- Yes
          3- Yes
          4-regard as effectively two items -- 50% with base value as per your probate value (need a formal assessment), other 50% with initial purchase value (whether by you or spouse. For the first half...
          10-08-2022, 16:38 PM
        Working...
        X