Relief on Letting Agent fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relief on Letting Agent fees

My letting/management agent deducts their fee prior to payment of the rental money to my bank account. In this scenario, do I report my total rental income as just what I received in my bank account (and therefore presumably I would not be eligible to claim relief on the agent fees as I had never 'paid' them)? Or do I simply report the total monthly rent that I 'charge' as my income, even though I don't ever lay hands on all that money? In which case then presumably the fees and any other charges (such as Legionella assessments etc.) that are taken by the agent directly prior to payment to me would be eligible for relief?

Thanks!

Your gross rental income for 2016-2017 is the total sum paid by tenant .

You will claim allowed expenses including sums for property maintenance ( & gas safety cert ) and letting agent fees etc .

You enter your taxable profit = gross annual rental income minus allowed expenses on your tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by DJKebab View Post
      Legionella assessments
      99% unnecessary for residential properties but agents get a nice kickback for arranging it...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Adding wife to BTL property
        ringzer
        In 2005 I bought a BTL property in London with an outstanding mortgage of ~£150,000 and a current market value of ~ £500,000. The apartment has never been lived in by me and my name alone is on the title deeds and mortgage.

I would like to add my wife to the property, either 1) title...
        18-02-2019, 17:37 PM
      • Reply to Adding wife to BTL property
        Kape65
        You're right, I remember that post. I agree that it's possible to do it but I feel if HMRC did take the time to view it then it could be classed as fraudulent, evading stamp duty and income tax.
        19-02-2019, 17:00 PM
        jpkeates
        Beneficial ownership is a can of worms and HMRC aren't in any position to dispute what a married couple assert to be how they want to split the beneficial ownership, regardless of title.

Someone posted on here a while back, and I made pretty much the same point (which was that the deed...
        19-02-2019, 16:35 PM
        Kape65
        I always believed that a DOT was used because normal ownership of tenant in common property was automatically registered as 50/50 split when the true ownership may have been different i.e wife has put more money in or such. Surely to transfer a percentage to your wife and then use a DOT to claim that...
        19-02-2019, 15:24 PM
        jpkeates
        Where property is owned as tenancy in common, the default presumption is that each tenant owns the property in equal proportions.
        But that doesn't have to be the case, the ownership can be shared in specified proportions, so 1% and 99%, or 60%:40% are possible.

That split would normally...
        19-02-2019, 13:51 PM
        Gordon999
        I think the solicitor may arrange a sale contract of 25% share in property from H ( seller ) to W ( Buyer ) at Nil price . but the Tax Office will say the consideration is 25% of mortgage loan for calculation the sdlt to pay.

After the property is registered under the names of H&W (...
        19-02-2019, 13:30 PM
        Kape65
        Is this possible (genuine question)? I understand the tenants in common bit but I thought you then needed a declaration of trust in order to change the proportions....
        19-02-2019, 13:04 PM
        Gordon999
        Option 2 is not available because you have a mortgage loan ( in sole name ) secured by the mortgage lender taking a charge on the property title. This means any change to the property title requires consent by the mortgage lender.

You can transfer by gifting a 25% share in the property...
        19-02-2019, 11:55 AM
        jpkeates
        Tenants in common - which allows each person to own a defined share of a property.
        You can transfer 1% of a property to someone (at the value of 1% of the total property value at the time).

Totally agree about the mortgage lender....
        19-02-2019, 10:44 AM
        Kape65
        This intrigues me, how do you transfer a small part of title? I know you can split beneficial ownership of jointly held property but how do you transfer a small part of title prior to changing beneficial ownership.

I'm not sure your mortgage company will allow a transfer of title only,...
        19-02-2019, 10:41 AM
      Working...
      X