Relief on Letting Agent fees

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Relief on Letting Agent fees

    My letting/management agent deducts their fee prior to payment of the rental money to my bank account. In this scenario, do I report my total rental income as just what I received in my bank account (and therefore presumably I would not be eligible to claim relief on the agent fees as I had never 'paid' them)? Or do I simply report the total monthly rent that I 'charge' as my income, even though I don't ever lay hands on all that money? In which case then presumably the fees and any other charges (such as Legionella assessments etc.) that are taken by the agent directly prior to payment to me would be eligible for relief?


    Your gross rental income for 2016-2017 is the total sum paid by tenant .

    You will claim allowed expenses including sums for property maintenance ( & gas safety cert ) and letting agent fees etc .

    You enter your taxable profit = gross annual rental income minus allowed expenses on your tax return.


      Originally posted by DJKebab View Post
      Legionella assessments
      99% unnecessary for residential properties but agents get a nice kickback for arranging it...


      Latest Activity


      • Files over 6 Years Old...
        I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
        I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
        Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
        Should i keep soft copies?
        Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
        21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
      • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
        I have everything dating back over 10-20 years - for tax purposes but also for DPS schemes as they can still sue you after six years and a folder for each property - keeping it safe in house all hard copies and latest things are on the computer you never know - just make sure that when you do dipose...
        22-10-2018, 18:43 PM
      • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
        The Tax office say minimum period for keeping records is 6 years
        22-10-2018, 13:59 PM
      • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
        The requirement is to keep the data secure and up to date and to delete it when the purpose for which it was collected has passed.

        HMRC can't work beyond 6 years unless the crime is one of a very specific list (and that would be hard for a landlord to qualify for).
        22-10-2018, 11:01 AM
      • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
        What bit of GDPR requires this?

        As far as I can see, the requirement is to keep the data secure....
        22-10-2018, 10:37 AM
      • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
        I guess a cynic might wonder if the government were trying to raise cash in an underhand way...

        They accuse you of fiddling your taxes, but don't allow you to keep the papers proving you didn't.
        22-10-2018, 09:41 AM
      • Stamp duty surcharge / disposing of main residence
        Just wondering if I would be liable to pay the stamp duty surcharge for the purchase of our home?

        Me and my family currently live in a property with my mum (I own 50% of the property).
        I also own 50% of another property, that is on rent (not sure if this matters).

        21-10-2018, 18:24 PM
      • Reply to Stamp duty surcharge / disposing of main residence
        The rules for charging sdlt are :

        ( 1 ) if you have more than 1 property in your name when registering a new property, then you will have to pay the extra 3%.

        ( 2) if you are moving into a new home , you still pay the extra 3 % sdlt but within 3 years, if you have sold the...
        22-10-2018, 08:46 AM
      • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
        In order to stay compliant with GDPR, you should destroy any hard copy documents which have been scanned and saved somewhere after 1 year, the documents which are saved should be encrypted or file passwords used. This is to prevent sensitive data being breached and then used by criminals, an external...
        22-10-2018, 08:18 AM
      • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
        I would keep all the things you mentioned in your first post....
        21-10-2018, 20:54 PM