Landlord has made the house 'a student house' to avoid paying council tax.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord has made the house 'a student house' to avoid paying council tax.

I found out my landlord has avoided paying council tax on a house by registering it as a student house. All of the tenants (7) are professionals apart from one. They told us council tax is included in the rent. However, none of us have a contract and I am paying on a month by month basis. If the landlord was ever found out would we need to pay the bill?

Assuming you each have individual rental agreements, the landlord is responsible for paying the council tax.

Whilst I'd like to suggest informing the council of the fraud, this might well result in a retaliatory eviction, and I don't think there is protecting for such evictions when not to do with serious building defects.

When you say you don't have a contract, you really mean you don't have a written contract. You do have a contract, but it will be difficult to prove the details of that contract, although not that one exists.

Comment

Given that criminals tend to commit multiple crimes, you might also want to note that, if there are three or more storeys, it will be subject to Mandatory HMO licensing (many councils will make it subject to Additional licensing, without this condition. (There are plans to remove the three storey constraint, so if you stay, and I suggest you get out as soon as safely possible, it may become subject to Mandatory licensing, in about a year.)

Also, it is a large HMO for planning purposes, so will require planning permission for sui generis HMO usage.

Also, one of the main original reasons for HMO licensing was fire safety, and the are is good chance that there are fire safety breaches.

Comment

We don't have a written contract no. It was just verbal. And yes it is 3 storeys.

The advertisement said everything was included and over the phone, they told me council tax was too. I am just worried that, if the council find out we as the tenants will have to pay as we have had no contract officially stating they would take care of the council tax.

The other problem is they have my £300 deposit and it was done unofficially so it has not done through any scheme.

Comment

With 7 occupants it's a HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) and so the landlord is liable to pay council tax, not the tenants.
          It doesn't matter that you are not students, or what any contract says, the law says that the landlord is liable to pay CT on a HMO.

If your deposit has not been put into one of the official schemes then you can claim up to 3x the deposit as a penalty from the landlord.
          https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...nsation_claims

As leaseholder64 says, this guy is deliberately breaking all kinds of rules and laws.
          The student thing for one is deliberate benefit fraud. (Yes, benefit fraud he's claiming a CT exemption he is not entitled to).
          When he gets caught, and he will, he's in for a hard, costly time which may well include a spell as a tenant of Her Majesty.

If I were you I would be looking for somewhere else to live, then making a claim for non-protection of the deposit, then informing the council just what he is up to.

Comment

Many thanks for the info! That is very helpful

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
              by jpkeates
              You have to make the return to tell HMRC there is no tax to pay, if that's the case.
              There is no option not to tell HMRC....
              09-12-2021, 09:58 AM
            • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
              06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
              by Gordon999
              I think Andrew is correct .

You start with 1/3 interest ( in 1982 valued at £6500 ? ) plus 1/6 interest from parent1 ( valued at £20K ?) plus 1/2 interest from parent 2 ( valued at £60K ? ). This probably takes your total entry cost to around £40K.

Your total capital...
              09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              Hi Andrew
              First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
              08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
              by jpkeates
              Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
              08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
              08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              jpkeates
              There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
              08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
              by jpkeates
              I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
              It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
              08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              Morning Andrew
              Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
              I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
              08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
              by AndrewDod
              As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
              The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
              The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
              08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
            Working...
            X