Paying SDLT twice just to grant myself a lease

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Paying SDLT twice just to grant myself a lease

    Hi all

    I seem to spend my life moaning about SDLT ... apologies, but here I go again.

    Bought a freehold property at auction in my sole name.
    The property is legally split into 3 flats but no leases were formed so still a single freehold.
    £1M price. £650k of that is a Bridging Loan.
    With Multiple Dwellings Relief £50k SDLT paid .
    I'm redeveloping the flats. Combining the two smaller flats, so that the final total will be 2 flats.
    I'm busting a gut on the renovation work on the top flat to finish it first and then I want to move into the top flat myself and take out a personal mortgage, this will pay off a large part of the Bridging Loan, which will be nice as the interest is currently £5715 a month. The Bridging Loan company will then have security over the Lower Flat. This Lower Flat will be finished 3 months later and sold.

    The problem is that I 'simply' want to grant leases so that I can get a personal mortgage on the Upper Flat asap and sell the Lower Flat when it is ready. The solicitor is telling me I can't be a freeholder and grant myself a lease and that the freehold needs to be held in a different entity (ie 'company' or 'different person' or 'Me and Other'), all of which will involve paying considerable SDLT again.

    Doesn't sound very fair to me as I've already paid SDLT. Is this the case or are there any exceptions for this kind of situation? I'm not gaining anything or trying to avoid tax, I've already paid it and the taxman will get another lump from the new buyer when I sell the Lower Flat.



    Its the buyer who pays sdlt.

    Perhaps you should arrange to sell the lower flat first.


    Latest Activity


    • Will they raise taxes again?
      by JK0
      My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

      I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
      27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
    • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
      by JK0
      The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
      27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
    • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
      by Neelix
      14 EICRs isn’t going to dent the income from 14 properties

      its the void periods that cost you...
      27-11-2021, 22:37 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by Thurrock1

      the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
      25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
    • Corporation Tax
      by Thurrock1
      Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
      My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
      He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
      23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by jpkeates
      If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
      24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by theartfullodger
      IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
      24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by Thurrock1
      Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

      It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
      24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by Gordon999
      The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

      After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
      24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
    • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
      by Neelix
      In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
      18-11-2021, 07:54 AM