Wear and Tear Tax Rules

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wear and Tear Tax Rules

    I have recently purchased a furnished holiday home and our first let managed to lose cutlery and break half the crockery. I have now replaced all these items but can these be put on the tax return as expenses and be tax deductible or not? The tax rules are confusing:
    If you replace a domestic item in a property which qualifies as a Furnished Holiday Let, Replacement of Domestic Items relief isn’t available. You will continue to be able to claim capital allowances on these items.
    If not, how should this type of thing be treated?
    Many thanks.

    The people you let to were obviously liable for the breakages/loss of cutlery: Presumably you recovered your loss (or should do so) from deposit so no financial loss incurred. So nothing to claim for. Or have I misunderstood?
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      The tax treatment of replacing items in a holiday let is different, because these items are capital expenditure for that type of business.

      It's not something I've ever done, though, because the entire basis of a tax return for a holiday let is not the same as one for a residential landlord.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Send an enquiry to HMRC about your confusing situation and ask how to claim the cost of replacing lost cutlery.


          I have run a Self Contained Holiday Unit ( posh name for Holiday home!) for a few years now.

          I claim all costs for the initial purchase of all furniture, TVs, cups, saucers, kitchen utensils, bedding, all cleaning consumables and cleaning services, as well as any subsequent replacements - basically everything to run the business. You should also be paying Business rates on it, not Council Tax, however as my business is below a threshold, here in Scotland I pay no Business rates.

          Furnished holiday homes are treated differently from normal rentals. "you are entitled to plant and machinery capital allowances for items such as furniture, equipment and fixtures" .


          If unsure, best speak to an accountant. If you use an Agency to rent your property out, also ask them for advice.


            If your tax return form ( for holiday furnished letting ) is SA105 and associated Notes . . You will find the Notes to this form- under box 25 , it directs you to enter the replacement cost of crockery and cutlery in box 36.

            You can google search "hmrc + SA105 Form and Notes" and download the information. . If you still don't understand , get help from a local accounting shop or look online for assistance for completing the first tax return.


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by DoricPixie
              Your tax situation in Australian depends on whether you’re a permanent resident/citizen or a temporary resident. If you’re a temporary resident you find yourself in tax sweet spot where HMRC doesn’t care about your Australian income and assets and the ATO doesn’t care about your UK income and...
              24-06-2022, 14:29 PM
            • New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by mucker973
              Hi All,
              I have a property I used to manage myself. The tenant paid me directly and I never declared it with the taxman. Going forward I have decided to use a letting agent to manage all of this. I currently reside abroad and when filling in the forms there is question which essentially is asking...
              24-06-2022, 07:39 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by Gordon999
              If you are living overseas, you must register as a non-resident landlord using NRL1 form to Tax Office if you receive rental income from a UK property. If you don't register , the letting agent is required to deduct 25% tax on any rental money paid to you.

              After being registered...
              24-06-2022, 09:31 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by jpkeates

              There's a "not quite an amnesty" operating at the moment.
              24-06-2022, 09:02 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by mucker973
              Thanks JPkeates, I knew you'd know!

              I've been thinking of reporting it for a while. If I declare these past "earnings" do you think I'll just have to pay the tax (if there is any) or do you think there will be any penalties? Penalties are usually applied when you are caught out...
              24-06-2022, 08:47 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by jpkeates
              I don't know what the situation is with Australian tax on UK rented property, and you'd probably better enquire locally.

              There are two different things to address.
              If you've been receiving income and not declaring it, you need to own up and pay what you owe - which sounds like nothing...
              24-06-2022, 08:32 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by Covent Garden Girl
              Your questions are more complicated than you imagine.

              1) Yes, firstly as a non resident landlord, the agent or indeed tenants have to deduct tax at source, or you have to send off a form, but also wait for HMRC to send confirmation that they think it is okay for you not to have the tax...
              24-06-2022, 08:17 AM
            • Are utility bills tax-deductible?
              by Bigpat
              I've had a buy-to-let on a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a few years and my tax return has been pretty simple. But since last year I have also had two lodgers, staying with me at my own residential property. Now I have purchased a small additional property, which I have moved into myself and...
              21-06-2022, 14:26 PM
            • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
              by jpkeates
              Even if you don’t need a licence, managing an HMO can be quite onerous. You’ll need a fire risk assessment, and then to comply with its requirements as a first step.

              That usually means fire retardant doors, different door locks, hard wired fire and smoke and heat alarms for a start....
              24-06-2022, 07:08 AM
            • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
              by Bigpat
              Thanks. Yes I checked the local authority who said that only "large" HMOs have to be licensed, and that counts as 5 or more tenants.

              I had no idea that separate TV licences would be required. How do HMO landlords usually handle this?
              (a) should I purchase three additional...
              23-06-2022, 21:38 PM