What do you include on your CGT HMRC calculation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you include on your CGT HMRC calculation?

We think our CGT for a house we let (we used to live in it) but then sold will be zero, and don't have to fill this out until next year (I hope) but thinking ahead (or do we need to fill it out at all?):

Is it as simple as attaching a PDF with the following:

Bought for X on day/month/year
    Sold for Y on day/month/year
    Costs of buying was B (including stamp duty, solicitors fees, etc)
    Costs of selling was S (estate agents fees, solicitors fees)
    Allowances for each person = £11,300
    Percentage of time lived in = 80% (including last 18 months which is given by HMRC as us being resident)

Gain = (Y-X-B-S)
    Amount covered by Private Residence Relief = Gain * 0.8
    Amount Subject to CGT = Gain * 0.2

CGT gain for each person (2) = (Amount Subject to CGT / 2) - £11,300 (this comes out negative, so equates to zero liability)

Does that look about right, and do you need to include more specifics than this? (e.g. exact dates of tenants, address of property, receipts for solicitors etc)

I've just read about Lettings Releif which I didn't know you could clam for as well as Private Residence Relief, so my new summary calculation would be as below. Be grateful if anyone who's done this before could comment.:

Bought for X on day/month/year
    Sold for Y on day/month/year
    Costs of buying was B (including stamp duty, solicitors fees, etc)
    Costs of selling was S (estate agents fees, solicitors fees)
    Allowances for each person = £11,300
    Percentage of time lived in = 80% (including last 18 months which is given by HMRC as us being resident)

Profit = (Y-X-B-S)
    Amount covered by Private Residence Relief = Profit * 0.8
    Chargeable Gain = Profit * 0.2
    Amount covered by Lettings Relief = Profit * 0.2 (if less than 40k, and less than Profit * 0.8)

Amount to pay CGT Tax on = Profit - (Amount covered by Private Residence Relief) - (Amount covered by Lettings Relief)

Amount to pay CGT per person (2) = (Amount to pay CGT Tax on / 2) - £11,300 (this comes out negative, so equates to zero liability)

Comment

You best bet is to take a look at the CGT section of a self assessment tax return. You do fill in that stuff, but not in quite the way you discuss. Then do a lot of reading and ask your explicit questions here with numbers. Someone may be enthused to help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to stamp duty liability in this situation
        by mind the gap
        Thank you!
        29-03-2020, 18:09 PM
      • stamp duty liability in this situation
        by mind the gap
        Thanks in advance for any clarification anyone is able to give. This will make the difference between being able to register as a Red Cross volunteer - or not.

The situation : we own our own home and have lived in it for 30 years. We also own two other properties, bought as buy to lets...
        29-03-2020, 10:31 AM
      • Reply to stamp duty liability in this situation
        by jpkeates
        There is a down side, but I'm not sure it's enough to stop you doing it.

The house you're selling would attract CGT for the period when it wasn't your main residence.
        And, as you're renting where you live, there's no offsetting that with a reduction in CGT for that property.
        29-03-2020, 11:39 AM
      • New tax rules 20/21
        by larry7
        Hi,

I’m well aware of the new limits to private residence relief and that Lettings relief is being abolished from 20/21. We have therefore been working towards an exchange of the property we are selling before the end of the current tax year. Everything was set for it to happen until...
        29-03-2020, 08:35 AM
      • Reply to New tax rules 20/21
        by jpkeates
        I haven't seen anything about it.
        I would be putting a lot of pressure on getting that exchange done!
        29-03-2020, 11:33 AM
      • Reply to New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
        by jpkeates
        There are two types of expenses allowable for tax for a landlord, operational and capital.
        Operational expenses are allowed against income and capital expenses deducted from any capital gain for CGT on disposal.

A lot of the expenses that you have listed would be at least partially...
        28-03-2020, 16:13 PM
      • New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
        by mrdiy88
        Hi Guys,

My wife and myself bought a property in December 2018. It needed repairs and other work such as:

1) A New roof (Tiles felt and battens) due to porous tiles
        2) A new kitchen as it was in a bad state of repair and no one would spruce it up
        3) A new bathroom,...
        28-03-2020, 15:56 PM
      • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
        by Claymore
        jpkeates,

That's lovely, thank you so much!
        24-03-2020, 01:50 AM
      • Implications of Gifting a % of Property
        by Claymore
        Hi

My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him...
        18-03-2020, 15:29 PM
      • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
        by jpkeates
        That's another reason to use a trust,
        The trust becomes the beneficial owner of the property, so it moves out of your estate for income tax purposes (over seven years).

You and your son would be the beneficiaries of the trust, so should anything happen to either of you, the trust...
        23-03-2020, 14:32 PM
      Working...
      X