Did all property income cease....

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Did all property income cease....

    Just looking at the tax return for for 2016-17:

    Our tenants left the rented property (our only one) around end of April 2017, and we sold the house much later that year.

    The last rent payment (I'll need to double check the dates) I think may have been April 4th 2017. There was a dispute over the deposit that resulted in that being delayed, and we had many repairs and replacing carpets etc in the months after.

    On the tax return form it asks "Did all property income cease in 2016-17 and do you not expect to receive such income in 2017-2018".

    If I tick this box, does it mean HMRC are expecting a Capital Gains calculation on this form, even though it was the next tax year we sold it?
    Should I tick this box, or not?

    In case its relevant, our calculations show that there is no capital gains tax to pay as we lived in the house for a period of time.

    How long was it rented out for?

    On what basis have you been accounting for HMRC in previous years?
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Was rented our since around 2014. Income was reported via self assessment "income from property in UK" section.


        Did you account on a cash or accural basis please?
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


          Forgive me I'm not sure what that means - cash I guess. I reported the actual rent that was paid, minus mortgage interest and costs. I did this each Jan 31st for the previous tax year.

          So on the date it landed or left the accounts I guess.


            Capital gains are declared for the tax year in which they are made. So no to that one. You declare later.

            I would have thought it reasonable to say income has ceased if (to clarify artful's point) you did declare the 3rd April rent in your tax return for the year ending that April. The main reason they ask that is that they may decide to take you out of self assessment (depending on the rest of your tax affairs).


            Latest Activity


            • Advice
              by jhoggard

              I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
              20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
            • Reply to Advice
              by theartfullodger
              Depends to a great degree on tax regulations over the coming years. We only know what the rules are today, not what they'll be in future e.g. when you retire

              I expect chancellors to cut back on the advantages of people owning property through companies (well, wouldn't you if you were chancellor)...
              22-01-2022, 13:06 PM
            • Reply to Advice
              by Gordon999
              1. No. You have not sold the property yet

              2. 19% on profit by company.

              3. Seek advice from accountant.
              22-01-2022, 09:36 AM
            • haring inherited property
              by halfax
              i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
              as anyone done similar?...
              19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
            • Reply to haring inherited property
              by halfax
              thanks for help to everyone who replied, great forum
              21-01-2022, 18:55 PM
            • Reply to Looking for tax / financial advice for a BTL /holiday let long-held portfolio
              by ifallelsefails
              I watched a webinar from Landlord studio and this man Tony Gimple was featured in it. Have a look at his Linkedin profile:
              He has a website whereby he consults exactly to your situation:
              21-01-2022, 17:13 PM
            • Reply to Recovering CGT on sale of property
              by ifallelsefails
              Having read what Gordon999 posted, it sounds just like what you can get via Crowdcube. Most of the businesses seeking funding on Crowdcube are eligible on the EIS scheme and you get shares in these fledgling businesses. I was only interested in Crowdcube because a number of businesses that I know were...
              21-01-2022, 17:05 PM
            • Reply to Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
              by geeksy
              Thank you, appreciate your reply.
              21-01-2022, 13:21 PM
            • Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
              by geeksy

              I need to claim an expense (£1500) for the bathroom and attic renovation work done in the property I let. I have two receipts for the same purchase, one originally issued and the second subsequently issued with additional two items.

              One of these has my address on it, not...
              20-01-2022, 11:39 AM
            • Reply to Advice
              by jpkeates
              1 - Yes, the company will have to buy the property and you will be selling it. So there's a CGT "event" for you and the business will pay SDLT. You need to think about structure if you're going to borrow to grow, most lenders will want one company per property and director's personal guarantees....
              20-01-2022, 16:02 PM