renovation costs

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    renovation costs

    Hi, I currently have a house which i purchased this tax year and in the middle of renovating it at a cost of about £20,000. I have not decided if I am going to rent this house out or sell it.
    If I sell it in the new tax year can I claim the £20,000 renovation cost as a loss in this tax year and what happens if i do and then sell it in the new tax year.

    Same question applies if I rent it out can I claim the £20,000 as a loss.

    The property had been empty for 10 years and I have evidence that the property was in need of renovation to make it habitable again


    If you bought the property cheaply because of the necessity to renovate, the cost of the work is likely to be allowable against capital gains tax (and not income) if you let it.

    It's possible the renovation is a combination of capital and repair/maintenance (which is allowable against future income).

    If you buy, rennovate and sell on, the increase in value is likely to be income (as it's property development, not property investment) and the cost is allowable against that income.

    As what you intend to do with the property is a key element of how it's taxed, not knowing (and being able to show) what you intend is a little unhelpful.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


    Latest Activity


    • Will they raise taxes again?
      by JK0
      My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

      I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
      27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
    • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
      by JK0
      The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
      27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
    • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
      by Neelix
      14 EICRs isn’t going to dent the income from 14 properties

      its the void periods that cost you...
      27-11-2021, 22:37 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by Thurrock1

      the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
      25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
    • Corporation Tax
      by Thurrock1
      Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
      My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
      He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
      23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by jpkeates
      If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
      24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by theartfullodger
      IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
      24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by Thurrock1
      Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

      It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
      24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
    • Reply to Corporation Tax
      by Gordon999
      The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

      After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
      24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
    • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
      by Neelix
      In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
      18-11-2021, 07:54 AM