renovation costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renovation costs

Hi, I currently have a house which i purchased this tax year and in the middle of renovating it at a cost of about £20,000. I have not decided if I am going to rent this house out or sell it.
    If I sell it in the new tax year can I claim the £20,000 renovation cost as a loss in this tax year and what happens if i do and then sell it in the new tax year.

Same question applies if I rent it out can I claim the £20,000 as a loss.

The property had been empty for 10 years and I have evidence that the property was in need of renovation to make it habitable again

thanks

If you bought the property cheaply because of the necessity to renovate, the cost of the work is likely to be allowable against capital gains tax (and not income) if you let it.

It's possible the renovation is a combination of capital and repair/maintenance (which is allowable against future income).

If you buy, rennovate and sell on, the increase in value is likely to be income (as it's property development, not property investment) and the cost is allowable against that income.

As what you intend to do with the property is a key element of how it's taxed, not knowing (and being able to show) what you intend is a little unhelpful.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
      by Claymore
      jpkeates,

That's lovely, thank you so much!
      24-03-2020, 01:50 AM
    • Implications of Gifting a % of Property
      by Claymore
      Hi

My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him...
      18-03-2020, 15:29 PM
      by jpkeates
      That's another reason to use a trust,
      The trust becomes the beneficial owner of the property, so it moves out of your estate for income tax purposes (over seven years).

You and your son would be the beneficiaries of the trust, so should anything happen to either of you, the trust...
      23-03-2020, 14:32 PM
      by Claymore
      Thanks JP. I am thinking of gifting him 50%, he will still be living with me for a few years.

My biggest concern is that if he marries and then divorces etc - how that would affect me!...
      23-03-2020, 13:53 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax confusion
      by FluffyBunny
      Thank you jpkeates, very helpful
      23-03-2020, 12:51 PM
    • Capital Gains Tax confusion
      by FluffyBunny
      Hi

We are considering selling our second home and wonder if anyone can help.

Background: My husband bought the home in 1988 for £44,000. Over the years it has been rented out for 1 year, empty for 2 years and rented out again for the last 3 years. Up until 3 years ago it...
      17-03-2020, 17:38 PM
      by jpkeates
      Your main residence is the place that you live. If you live in more than one place, you need to tell HMRC which is your primary residence and update them if it changes.
      Most people only have one residence, so it's just a matter of fact.
      Based on what you posted, it was your main residence...
      23-03-2020, 10:03 AM
      by FluffyBunny
      Thanks for the reply. Can anyone help with my other questions please?
      22-03-2020, 16:43 PM
    • Reply to Tax Return or Letter?
      by Claymore
      Ha, bet you are. Lots of worried people.

I haven't been totally absent, I have dipped in to read your threads quite a few times. Love your updates. Take care.
      20-03-2020, 16:05 PM
    • Tax Return or Letter?
      by Claymore
      Hi

I remember there being a rental income limit where you don't need to actually complete a property tax return. Instead of completing the tax return you can write a letter to the tax office declaring the income and net profit. Is this still in practise?

Also, if you do...
      17-02-2020, 16:41 PM
    Working...
    X