renovation costs

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    renovation costs

    Hi, I currently have a house which i purchased this tax year and in the middle of renovating it at a cost of about £20,000. I have not decided if I am going to rent this house out or sell it.
    If I sell it in the new tax year can I claim the £20,000 renovation cost as a loss in this tax year and what happens if i do and then sell it in the new tax year.

    Same question applies if I rent it out can I claim the £20,000 as a loss.

    The property had been empty for 10 years and I have evidence that the property was in need of renovation to make it habitable again


    If you bought the property cheaply because of the necessity to renovate, the cost of the work is likely to be allowable against capital gains tax (and not income) if you let it.

    It's possible the renovation is a combination of capital and repair/maintenance (which is allowable against future income).

    If you buy, rennovate and sell on, the increase in value is likely to be income (as it's property development, not property investment) and the cost is allowable against that income.

    As what you intend to do with the property is a key element of how it's taxed, not knowing (and being able to show) what you intend is a little unhelpful.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


    Latest Activity


    • Stamp Duty on Freehold House subject to long leases; merge title?
      by carolem
      Am interested in buying freehold house which is divided into 2 flats, both let out on AST. G
      round floor flat is held under the terms of a Lease dated the 11 November 1987 granted for the term of 999 years from the 1st February 1987 and the first floor flat is held under the terms of a Lease dated the
      Should Nelson Mandela's statute remain?
      Should death penalty's reintroduction be subject to public referendum?
      02-07-2020, 10:02 AM
    • Reply to Tax Return - HELP!
      by jpkeates
      I'd include the 12th month.

      While you're correct that the income fell into the 2018/19 tax year, you didn't declare it then, which is could trigger a fine and a penalty.
      It probably won't, but you need to be very careful with your tax - getting on the wrong side of HMRC is a lifetime...
      02-07-2020, 08:51 AM
    • Tax Return - HELP!
      by Brian862107
      Does anyone know of any good online tutorials/guides for filling out your self-assessment tax return? I don't know about you's but I hate filling out forms (they always ask you to tick a box to say the information you've put in is correct too!!)!

      This is my first year filling out the self-assessment...
      01-07-2020, 15:51 PM
    • Reply to Tax Return - HELP!
      by Brian862107
      I've had a look over my rental statements and remembered the reason I have 11 months this tax year and not 12 was that the 1st month rental statement was on the 5th April 2019 (like one day before the 6th April 2019 tax year). I just want to confirm that this is correct or do I need to include the 5th...
      02-07-2020, 07:50 AM
    • Reply to Tax Return - HELP!
      by Brian862107
      jpkeates Thanks for the informative and quick reply. I didn't mean i'd charge for labour when doing repairs (might not be a lot for paint/shower or whatever i would need to buy but adds up but understand i'd keep receipts and add on form later as expense.) but your post is quite clear and think I've...
      02-07-2020, 06:26 AM
    • Reply to Tax Return - HELP!
      by Jon66
      The electronic self assessment is fairly easy. If you're not doing this I would recommend you get it set up for next time. There are also explanatory notes as you go along. Just done mine, it must be the covid effect! Doesn't normally get done until after Christmas.
      01-07-2020, 23:00 PM
    • Reply to Tax Return - HELP!
      by Gordon999
      Are you preparing the paper tax return SA105 ? The figures declared in each box are for one year .

      So rental income = £5500.( box 20)

      Insurance and rates := ( box 24 )

      Prop Repairs = ( box 25 )

      Prof Fees ( letting agent ) = £660 ( box...
      01-07-2020, 21:38 PM
    • Reply to Tax Return - HELP!
      by jpkeates
      I get an accountant to complete my tax return.
      It costs, but it's an allowable expense and it's worth it just to know that I'm keeping the tax I pay to a minimum.

      You are taxed on your net income (which is rent less expenses - like the management fee and repairs), but you don't...
      01-07-2020, 16:54 PM
    • Reply to Returning from oversea landlord taxation
      by jpkeates
      When you began your new business you should have told HMRC.
      They would have confirmed how they wanted you to complete your tax return.

      If you get in touch now, they'll confirm what they want you to do.

      Tax returns are based on the tax year, which runs from 6th April to...
      01-07-2020, 16:13 PM
    • Returning from oversea landlord taxation
      by LAN45

      I have been living abroad and paied rental income taxes, according to legislation, to HMRC as oversea landlord.

      ue to recent developments I'm moving back to UK looking for a job and would like to understand how to handle paying taxes? I will have no further income for...
      22-06-2020, 12:15 PM