3% stamp duty tax claim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3% stamp duty tax claim?

I have several BTL’s, but recently sold off part of my residential garden to a builder, I then rented out my residential home, with the plan to sell once the plot had been built and therefore claim back the extra 3% stamp duty I paid on my new home I brought. After 1 year I have a good tenant in place and have decided to keep the house and add it to my ongoing portfolio.
    finally my question.... can I claim back(as a capital expense) the 3% extra I paid for my new home property as I only incurred the fee because of the BTL investment?
    thank in advance any help!

There's no CGT on your private residence.
    Your residence is not part of your business and therefore capital expenses incurred on it can't be applied to the business.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I understand that if I was buying a second home and also using my pervious house to live in, but as I’m solely living in the new house and the previous house is now an investment I wondered if the 3% extra I paid on my new home which was only enforced because I had now invested my previous home into a BTL. In other words had I sold my Previous house and brought a BTL and a new home the 3% would have applied to the BTL and I would have claimed it back as an expense, so why is this any different(if not a bit complicated)?

Comment

You can possibly claim back the 3% if you were replacing a previous main residence with a new one, but the dates have to be within a certain period. And your conveyancer should have considered that when buying the new property.

If you have a portfolio, you already had more than one property when you bought your new home anyway, which would have triggered the additional 3%.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If your now letting your former home then I dont believe you can claim back the 3%

Comment

I’m not trying to claim it back, more right it off as an expense. It’s a cost that has purely come about due to an investment, in the same way I had to have a gas certificate and electrical certificate, both of which I can put against my profit.

Comment

But the expense is nothing to do with the business, it's simply a consequence of it existing.
              The cost of the gas certificate is a business expense because it was incurred on the rental property,
              The increased SDLT was incurred on a property that is outside the business.

It's like trying to claim that the tax you pay on the increased income you receive is a business expense because you wouldn't pay it if the business didn't exist.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
              • Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                by Gordon999
                I think Andrew is correct .

You start with 1/3 interest ( in 1982 valued at £6500 ? ) plus 1/6 interest from parent1 ( valued at £20K ?) plus 1/2 interest from parent 2 ( valued at £60K ? ). This probably takes your total entry cost to around £40K.

Your total capital...
                09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Hi Andrew
                First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
                08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
                by jpkeates
                Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
                08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
                08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                jpkeates
                There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
                08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
                by jpkeates
                I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
                It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
                08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Morning Andrew
                Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
                I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
                08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
                by AndrewDod
                As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
                The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
                The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
                08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Thank you Gordon, didn't see your response this afternoon. I will look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow as it's late now.
                I've put some figures in my reply to a post just now but answers below to your questions.

a] £80k Jan 2021 sale price.
                b] As property purchased before...
                08-12-2021, 00:55 AM
              Working...
              X