3% stamp duty tax claim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3% stamp duty tax claim?

I have several BTL’s, but recently sold off part of my residential garden to a builder, I then rented out my residential home, with the plan to sell once the plot had been built and therefore claim back the extra 3% stamp duty I paid on my new home I brought. After 1 year I have a good tenant in place and have decided to keep the house and add it to my ongoing portfolio.
    finally my question.... can I claim back(as a capital expense) the 3% extra I paid for my new home property as I only incurred the fee because of the BTL investment?
    thank in advance any help!

There's no CGT on your private residence.
    Your residence is not part of your business and therefore capital expenses incurred on it can't be applied to the business.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I understand that if I was buying a second home and also using my pervious house to live in, but as I’m solely living in the new house and the previous house is now an investment I wondered if the 3% extra I paid on my new home which was only enforced because I had now invested my previous home into a BTL. In other words had I sold my Previous house and brought a BTL and a new home the 3% would have applied to the BTL and I would have claimed it back as an expense, so why is this any different(if not a bit complicated)?

Comment

You can possibly claim back the 3% if you were replacing a previous main residence with a new one, but the dates have to be within a certain period. And your conveyancer should have considered that when buying the new property.

If you have a portfolio, you already had more than one property when you bought your new home anyway, which would have triggered the additional 3%.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If your now letting your former home then I dont believe you can claim back the 3%

Comment

I’m not trying to claim it back, more right it off as an expense. It’s a cost that has purely come about due to an investment, in the same way I had to have a gas certificate and electrical certificate, both of which I can put against my profit.

Comment

But the expense is nothing to do with the business, it's simply a consequence of it existing.
              The cost of the gas certificate is a business expense because it was incurred on the rental property,
              The increased SDLT was incurred on a property that is outside the business.

It's like trying to claim that the tax you pay on the increased income you receive is a business expense because you wouldn't pay it if the business didn't exist.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X