Query about new windows and new boiler

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Query about new windows and new boiler

    Hi there,

    My wife and I have one property that we rent out.

    In 2017 we had to spend quite a bit of money on it. We replaced some old single glazed windows. And we also replaced the old back boiler fire with a new one plus a new combi boiler as the old one had failed and needed replacing.

    Would i be able to claim for these on my self assessment form and if so where abouts on the form would they go - would it be 'Property repairs and maintenance'? Or 'Other allowable propery expenses'? Or do I deal with it in another way?

    Many thanks in advance,


    Yes, you should be able to claim these under repairs and maintenance on your self assessment, assuming that the replacements were more or less like for like, (allowing that old single glazed windows will always be replaced by double glazed).


      Hiya DPT57,

      Thanks very much for the response, much appreciated.

      Whilst entering the info, as we spent money on the boiler and windows as mentioned it reduced our profit considerably and this was flagged when I was working through the form.

      Is it worth mentioning anything on the part of the form where I can type in extra info. Just concerned as it was flagged.

      Thanks again,



        as it seems to be a straightforward business expense there should be no reason to add anything. If you do add something, it might draw more attention to it than if you don't.


          replaced a back boiler fire with a new one AND a combi boiler? is that two boilers or just a new front fire for the old one? why would you have a combi boiler AND conventional boiler?


            We replaced the back boiler fire (with a new fire) and the back boiler (with a combi boiler located elsewhere) as they were ancient and failing. Two boilers would be excessive :-)


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
              by JK0
              The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
              27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
            • Will they raise taxes again?
              by JK0
              My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

              I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
              27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
            • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
              by Neelix
              14 EICRs isn’t going to dent the income from 14 properties

              its the void periods that cost you...
              27-11-2021, 22:37 PM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by Thurrock1

              the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
              25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by jpkeates
              If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
              24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
            • Corporation Tax
              by Thurrock1
              Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
              My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
              He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
              23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by theartfullodger
              IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
              24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by Thurrock1
              Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

              It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
              24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by Gordon999
              The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

              After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
              24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
            • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
              by Neelix
              In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
              18-11-2021, 07:54 AM