Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query about new windows and new boiler

Hi there,

My wife and I have one property that we rent out.

In 2017 we had to spend quite a bit of money on it. We replaced some old single glazed windows. And we also replaced the old back boiler fire with a new one plus a new combi boiler as the old one had failed and needed replacing.

Would i be able to claim for these on my self assessment form and if so where abouts on the form would they go - would it be 'Property repairs and maintenance'? Or 'Other allowable propery expenses'? Or do I deal with it in another way?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil.

Yes, you should be able to claim these under repairs and maintenance on your self assessment, assuming that the replacements were more or less like for like, (allowing that old single glazed windows will always be replaced by double glazed).

Comment

Hiya DPT57,

Thanks very much for the response, much appreciated.

Whilst entering the info, as we spent money on the boiler and windows as mentioned it reduced our profit considerably and this was flagged when I was working through the form.

Is it worth mentioning anything on the part of the form where I can type in extra info. Just concerned as it was flagged.

Thanks again,

Phil

Comment

as it seems to be a straightforward business expense there should be no reason to add anything. If you do add something, it might draw more attention to it than if you don't.

Comment

replaced a back boiler fire with a new one AND a combi boiler? is that two boilers or just a new front fire for the old one? why would you have a combi boiler AND conventional boiler?

Comment

We replaced the back boiler fire (with a new fire) and the back boiler (with a combi boiler located elsewhere) as they were ancient and failing. Two boilers would be excessive :-)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Subsistence costs - can my limited company pay for me?
              JamesHopeful
              I'm going to make an overnight trip to another city wholly and exclusively for the purpose of doing some work in relation to my rental properties, which are owned in a limited company.

I am already treating my train fare and hotel cost as a business expense, paid for by the company, but...
              21-08-2018, 20:28 PM
            • Question regarding upgrades in flat for tax relief
              Helvie
              Hi,
              Im unsure as to what i can claim tax relief on. I have to replace a gas boiler as the current one isnt working properly, can i claim relief on this ? im also a registered heating engineer so doing the work myself purely material costs.

Is there a way i could invoice my property...
              05-08-2018, 13:03 PM
            • Reply to Question regarding upgrades in flat for tax relief
              jpkeates
              HMRC don't allow landlords to claim for their own labour against income for tax.
              Landlords are expected to do work on their investment as part of their business activity.

That may be different in Scotland.
              21-08-2018, 12:20 PM
            • Move to ltd company
              Helvie
              Hi,
              I read a lot about changing to a ltd company, at which point or why should this be done. I currently have 2 BTL and in the process of buying my third with a fourth on the cards for end of year or early next year. What is the best advice for this.

I am a tax free resident so...
              06-08-2018, 09:41 AM
            • Reply to Move to ltd company
              jpkeates
              You can't offset the repayment element of a mortgage against income (as an individual) - at least not in England, Scottish rules might be different.
              The position as a limited company would be slightly different, but not that much.
              21-08-2018, 12:04 PM
            • Reply to Question regarding upgrades in flat for tax relief
              Helvie
              Well if it’s tax deductible then say I pay £1k for a boiler then my profit at end of year would be £1k less so wouldn’t pay tax on that amount....
              21-08-2018, 09:42 AM
            • Reply to Move to ltd company
              Helvie
              I’m talking about profit after mortgage and other payments are made., ie insurance, boiler contract etc. They are both on repayment mortgages so less monthly profit than interest only....
              21-08-2018, 09:39 AM
            • Seeking a professional tax expert please
              Landlord2015
              Fed-up of all the attacks on the BTL sector by the government and the ever-increasing red tape and hassles of managing tenants, so I'm looking to sell my portfolio of UK BTL properties and invest a fairly large sum into equities etc. from which to receive an annual 'retirement' income.

20-08-2018, 12:26 PM
            • Let Property Campaign and past experience
              JazzApples
              Hi,
              The ex-wife and I had a couple of rental properties which we've rented out for the past 2.5 years. The initial intention was to use the properties as an investment for the future, but we divorced after a year and never put our tax affairs in order. After the divorce, I wanted to declare the...
              17-08-2018, 16:19 PM
            • Reply to Let Property Campaign and past experience
              Gordon999
              I expect both you and ex-wife have to submit tax return for rental profit for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 ( since you started letting 2.5 years ago and current year end profit cannot yet be computed ) .
              So from the letting records of each property and for each year , you calculate the...
              19-08-2018, 11:08 AM
            Working...
            X