Query about new windows and new boiler

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Query about new windows and new boiler

    Hi there,

    My wife and I have one property that we rent out.

    In 2017 we had to spend quite a bit of money on it. We replaced some old single glazed windows. And we also replaced the old back boiler fire with a new one plus a new combi boiler as the old one had failed and needed replacing.

    Would i be able to claim for these on my self assessment form and if so where abouts on the form would they go - would it be 'Property repairs and maintenance'? Or 'Other allowable propery expenses'? Or do I deal with it in another way?

    Many thanks in advance,


    Yes, you should be able to claim these under repairs and maintenance on your self assessment, assuming that the replacements were more or less like for like, (allowing that old single glazed windows will always be replaced by double glazed).


      Hiya DPT57,

      Thanks very much for the response, much appreciated.

      Whilst entering the info, as we spent money on the boiler and windows as mentioned it reduced our profit considerably and this was flagged when I was working through the form.

      Is it worth mentioning anything on the part of the form where I can type in extra info. Just concerned as it was flagged.

      Thanks again,



        as it seems to be a straightforward business expense there should be no reason to add anything. If you do add something, it might draw more attention to it than if you don't.


          replaced a back boiler fire with a new one AND a combi boiler? is that two boilers or just a new front fire for the old one? why would you have a combi boiler AND conventional boiler?


            We replaced the back boiler fire (with a new fire) and the back boiler (with a combi boiler located elsewhere) as they were ancient and failing. Two boilers would be excessive :-)


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
              by jpkeates
              There are two types of expenses allowable for tax for a landlord, operational and capital.
              Operational expenses are allowed against income and capital expenses deducted from any capital gain for CGT on disposal.

              A lot of the expenses that you have listed would be at least partially...
              28-03-2020, 16:13 PM
            • New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
              by mrdiy88
              Hi Guys,

              My wife and myself bought a property in December 2018. It needed repairs and other work such as:

              1) A New roof (Tiles felt and battens) due to porous tiles
              2) A new kitchen as it was in a bad state of repair and no one would spruce it up
              3) A new bathroom,...
              28-03-2020, 15:56 PM
            • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
              by Claymore

              That's lovely, thank you so much!
              24-03-2020, 01:50 AM
            • Implications of Gifting a % of Property
              by Claymore

              My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

              If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

              Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him...
              18-03-2020, 15:29 PM
            • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
              by jpkeates
              That's another reason to use a trust,
              The trust becomes the beneficial owner of the property, so it moves out of your estate for income tax purposes (over seven years).

              You and your son would be the beneficiaries of the trust, so should anything happen to either of you, the trust...
              23-03-2020, 14:32 PM
            • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
              by Claymore
              Thanks JP. I am thinking of gifting him 50%, he will still be living with me for a few years.

              My biggest concern is that if he marries and then divorces etc - how that would affect me!...
              23-03-2020, 13:53 PM
            • Capital Gains Tax confusion
              by FluffyBunny

              We are considering selling our second home and wonder if anyone can help.

              Background: My husband bought the home in 1988 for £44,000. Over the years it has been rented out for 1 year, empty for 2 years and rented out again for the last 3 years. Up until 3 years ago it...
              17-03-2020, 17:38 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax confusion
              by FluffyBunny
              Thank you jpkeates, very helpful
              23-03-2020, 12:51 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax confusion
              by jpkeates
              Your main residence is the place that you live. If you live in more than one place, you need to tell HMRC which is your primary residence and update them if it changes.
              Most people only have one residence, so it's just a matter of fact.
              Based on what you posted, it was your main residence...
              23-03-2020, 10:03 AM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax confusion
              by FluffyBunny
              Thanks for the reply. Can anyone help with my other questions please?
              22-03-2020, 16:43 PM