Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query about new windows and new boiler

Hi there,

My wife and I have one property that we rent out.

In 2017 we had to spend quite a bit of money on it. We replaced some old single glazed windows. And we also replaced the old back boiler fire with a new one plus a new combi boiler as the old one had failed and needed replacing.

Would i be able to claim for these on my self assessment form and if so where abouts on the form would they go - would it be 'Property repairs and maintenance'? Or 'Other allowable propery expenses'? Or do I deal with it in another way?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil.

Yes, you should be able to claim these under repairs and maintenance on your self assessment, assuming that the replacements were more or less like for like, (allowing that old single glazed windows will always be replaced by double glazed).

Comment

Hiya DPT57,

Thanks very much for the response, much appreciated.

Whilst entering the info, as we spent money on the boiler and windows as mentioned it reduced our profit considerably and this was flagged when I was working through the form.

Is it worth mentioning anything on the part of the form where I can type in extra info. Just concerned as it was flagged.

Thanks again,

Phil

Comment

as it seems to be a straightforward business expense there should be no reason to add anything. If you do add something, it might draw more attention to it than if you don't.

Comment

replaced a back boiler fire with a new one AND a combi boiler? is that two boilers or just a new front fire for the old one? why would you have a combi boiler AND conventional boiler?

Comment

We replaced the back boiler fire (with a new fire) and the back boiler (with a combi boiler located elsewhere) as they were ancient and failing. Two boilers would be excessive :-)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
              Gooders
              If you receive cashback when taking out a buy to let mortgage do you have to declare this as income and will it incur tax?
              14-11-2018, 15:49 PM
            • Reply to mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
              Gooders
              Great so no need to declare it on my tax return?
              14-11-2018, 16:33 PM
            • Reply to mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
              loanarranger
              Most lenders who offer a modest cash back do so to enable the borrower to use , if they wish, as a payment towards the basic legal costs instead of offering Free Basic Legal Fees or towards the cost of a valuation, so no it doesn’t have to be declared to HMRC as income , and remember such freebies...
              14-11-2018, 16:29 PM
            • Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
              gmhmo
              Hello,

I purchased a property in 2009 for £115k (and spent around £20k on improvements) and I’m thinking about selling it early 2019 for £300k.
              I’d expected an approx. £40k CGT bill, but now I’m not so sure and could really do with some high level pointers or peace of mind either way....
              11-11-2018, 18:01 PM
            • Reply to Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
              jpkeates
              Don't ever ask HMRC for tax advice.

A) they're not qualified to give it, b) you may have to give them information to get advice that they can use against you, c) it may cause them to mark your returns for attention and d) they're hardly unbiased.

Tax is part science and part...
              13-11-2018, 08:43 AM
            • Reply to Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
              gmhmo
              Thank you very much. I'll speak to an accountant. I also found a HMRC CGT helpline....
              13-11-2018, 08:35 AM
            • PRR & Letting Relief
              multipropertyguy
              Trying to do some calculations before I think about putting a house on the market, first time I've sold a property. It's only in my name and it was my main residence before letting it out and buying another place.

Purchase Price £175,000
              Market Value £415,000 (est)

12-11-2018, 12:03 PM
            • Reply to PRR & Letting Relief
              Gordon999
              In Post 2, The total period owned = 180 months .

Exemption claimed for PPR = 36 months + 18 month after moving out = 54 months

Period under letting = 180 -54 = 126 months .

So the capital gain during letting period = £ 240k x 126/180 = £168K.

12-11-2018, 17:28 PM
            • Reply to PRR & Letting Relief
              GillianF
              Hi, I've tried to follow the calculations above to apply it to my situation but get lost at the CG part - "126 /180", not knowing where these figures come from. I can follow it up to that point.

However, I will post my figures. I likewise am trying to figure the implications...
              12-11-2018, 16:59 PM
            • queries about self assessment
              djlandlord
              Hi All

My wife has a property which we re-mortgaged on a buy-to-let mortgage to buy our home. This will be our first year doing the self-assessment, whilst I am certain on some things I have a few questions about others which I hope you all can assist with:
              1. Can we claim the mortgage product
              09-11-2018, 15:28 PM
            Working...
            X