Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query about new windows and new boiler

Hi there,

My wife and I have one property that we rent out.

In 2017 we had to spend quite a bit of money on it. We replaced some old single glazed windows. And we also replaced the old back boiler fire with a new one plus a new combi boiler as the old one had failed and needed replacing.

Would i be able to claim for these on my self assessment form and if so where abouts on the form would they go - would it be 'Property repairs and maintenance'? Or 'Other allowable propery expenses'? Or do I deal with it in another way?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil.

Yes, you should be able to claim these under repairs and maintenance on your self assessment, assuming that the replacements were more or less like for like, (allowing that old single glazed windows will always be replaced by double glazed).

Comment

Hiya DPT57,

Thanks very much for the response, much appreciated.

Whilst entering the info, as we spent money on the boiler and windows as mentioned it reduced our profit considerably and this was flagged when I was working through the form.

Is it worth mentioning anything on the part of the form where I can type in extra info. Just concerned as it was flagged.

Thanks again,

Phil

Comment

as it seems to be a straightforward business expense there should be no reason to add anything. If you do add something, it might draw more attention to it than if you don't.

Comment

replaced a back boiler fire with a new one AND a combi boiler? is that two boilers or just a new front fire for the old one? why would you have a combi boiler AND conventional boiler?

Comment

We replaced the back boiler fire (with a new fire) and the back boiler (with a combi boiler located elsewhere) as they were ancient and failing. Two boilers would be excessive :-)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Selling part share
              by AndrewDod
              Well if CGT was not payable on the first slice it won't be on the second.

I don't see that you retained a benefit, but I can't find any case law to that effect. But if rent was payable it would have gone in both directions (you would have paid your son half the rent and he would have paid...
              31-03-2020, 18:19 PM
            • Selling part share
              by Bill31
              5 years ago i gifted part of my property to my son as joint tenants. We lived in the property together. So its possibly a grob.

Now we want to go our separate ways. Could he buy my share out so he owns the whole house. And i use the money to buy elsewhere. Could this introduce a IHT or...
              31-03-2020, 13:41 PM
              by Bill31
              Interesting that it may not be a grob as we own it all together. But surely hmrc will view it as i retained a benefit.

Its our only main property i dnt think any cgt will be due. I was asking will cgt be due if i make another gift or sell my share to get my name of deeds?
              I ask because...
              31-03-2020, 17:35 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Although they were BOTH living there and both owned it -- so the share gifted is probably not a GROB. It would be if only the OP was living there (owning only a portion) and not paying rent.

It depends on the proportion - if the OP owned 1% and paid no rent - I think it would be in GROB...
              31-03-2020, 17:09 PM
              by Bill31
              Ok thanks.
              So as i already did a gift of the property a few years back. Do i have to to pay cgt on the rest of the property when i gift it over or sell it to son as cash?...
              31-03-2020, 16:33 PM
              by jpkeates
              If you gift someone a property (or part of one) and carry on living there, the gift has reservations.
              So you either need to move out or start paying market rate rent to live there to end that situation.

Any transaction done at an undervalue is treated by HMRC as being at market value,...
              31-03-2020, 15:52 PM
              by Bill31
              Grob meaning gift with reservation.

What if the purchase is below market value. The share is worth a market value of 250k but i can only afford to pay 200k. How will hmrc view it?

In another view i already made a gift of the property to him as joint tenant, how is the best...
              31-03-2020, 15:11 PM
              by jpkeates
              I don't know what a grob is in this context.

It was a gift with reservation, so, unless you are paying rent, the property is still in your estate for IHT purposes.

As long as your son doesn't live in the new property, I don't see that POAT would apply, but it's not something...
              31-03-2020, 14:52 PM
            • New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
              by mrdiy88
              Hi Guys,

My wife and myself bought a property in December 2018. It needed repairs and other work such as:

1) A New roof (Tiles felt and battens) due to porous tiles
              2) A new kitchen as it was in a bad state of repair and no one would spruce it up
              3) A new bathroom,...
              28-03-2020, 15:56 PM
            • Reply to New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
              by mrdiy88
              Thanks this will really help us

Much appreciated and learning plenty this first time round....
              31-03-2020, 13:40 PM
            Working...
            X