Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query about new windows and new boiler

Hi there,

My wife and I have one property that we rent out.

In 2017 we had to spend quite a bit of money on it. We replaced some old single glazed windows. And we also replaced the old back boiler fire with a new one plus a new combi boiler as the old one had failed and needed replacing.

Would i be able to claim for these on my self assessment form and if so where abouts on the form would they go - would it be 'Property repairs and maintenance'? Or 'Other allowable propery expenses'? Or do I deal with it in another way?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil.

Yes, you should be able to claim these under repairs and maintenance on your self assessment, assuming that the replacements were more or less like for like, (allowing that old single glazed windows will always be replaced by double glazed).

Comment

Hiya DPT57,

Thanks very much for the response, much appreciated.

Whilst entering the info, as we spent money on the boiler and windows as mentioned it reduced our profit considerably and this was flagged when I was working through the form.

Is it worth mentioning anything on the part of the form where I can type in extra info. Just concerned as it was flagged.

Thanks again,

Phil

Comment

as it seems to be a straightforward business expense there should be no reason to add anything. If you do add something, it might draw more attention to it than if you don't.

Comment

replaced a back boiler fire with a new one AND a combi boiler? is that two boilers or just a new front fire for the old one? why would you have a combi boiler AND conventional boiler?

Comment

We replaced the back boiler fire (with a new fire) and the back boiler (with a combi boiler located elsewhere) as they were ancient and failing. Two boilers would be excessive :-)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Putting my flat into joint names
              sue1946
              I have a small one bed flat purchased for £37,000 about 17 years ago. It has no mortgage and I have recently upgraded the lease to 99 years. The rental achieved currently is £600 pcm. Now my husband is retired we would like to put the flat into joint names so we can split the income between us. There...
              23-02-2018, 16:57 PM
            • Tax Relief on BTL Private Loan
              buffalo747
              Following a long delay in obtaining a remortgage on a small block of flats I own, it was decided between my sons and myself to pay off the existing lender with a substantial amount I had in savings and my two sons joint savings of £120K.......To protect my son's investment, I did think they could have...
              18-02-2018, 13:00 PM
            • Reply to Tax Relief on BTL Private Loan
              buffalo747
              Thank you JP
              23-02-2018, 15:48 PM
            • Letting out flat, renting elsewhere
              aguero9320
              Hi all,

Appreciate this one may be a regular question, but thought best to give a bit of context to our current position - in case it helps with any 'get around'.

We own a small 1 bed flat (mortgaged) which we currently occupy and have up for sale (no biters yet).
              23-02-2018, 12:05 PM
            • Reply to Letting out flat, renting elsewhere
              aguero9320
              Thanks for the response... hypothetically(!) if I both let and rent through the same agent (no idea if this is allowed - thinking out loud!) - essentially paying them the excess balance - would this negate any tax liability as there wouldn't be any 'income' per se.

Mortgage itself could...
              23-02-2018, 15:24 PM
              jpkeates
              Your accountant is probably right (that's what they're paid to be).
              23-02-2018, 14:21 PM
              buffalo747
              Thanks again JP, I get your point but that's what I was told.....Also, I read there were certain HMRC rules being proposed for Peer to Peer lending which may apply where the borrower is obliged to deduct 20% of the interest payment and pass it over to HMRC.
              23-02-2018, 13:44 PM
              jpkeates
              I think your accountant is wrong, then.

Your sons are liable for the tax on the interest, which is income.
              HMRC will probably start to ask for it in advance once they've declared it once (as a general policy).

I don't see why anyone should suggest that you withhold it...
              23-02-2018, 12:43 PM
              buffalo747
              Hi JP....My sons and I live in the UK.
              23-02-2018, 12:38 PM
            • Reply to Letting out flat, renting elsewhere
              jpkeates
              You're right, you can't offset the cost of renting the new place against the income on your "current" place.
              The current flat would be part of a business and your home is not part of that business.

If you get consent to let there may be a higher mortgage rate.
              If the...
              23-02-2018, 12:33 PM
            Working...
            X