X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with nic...class 2 or 3?

Hi Everyone

Hoping someone could help.

So I started my property business in 2006, after leaving work.

I have built up a portfolio of 11 properties, last one added in 2013.

I managed the properties myself and continued to seek adding to my protfolio throughout those years.

I left to go abroad part way through 2013.

I have paid no NICs in all this time.

I now would like to pay nics for the years 2006 to 2013.

I sent in my application to pay NIC whilst abroad form.

I have received a rely saying I can pay as follows: the time I was abroad would be subject to class 2 but the time I was in the UK, should be class 3.

I thought using the HMRC definition/rules I should have been paying class 2 during the time I was in the Uk.

1)Can anyone advise if I should be paying class 2?

2) My other concern is, if I am liable to class 2, should I have paid these in the years they fell due, and will I be penalised for this?

Thanks for any advice.

Unless you are 60+ already, I would forget about NIC's. I doubt that any pension will be worth having when we finally become entitled to one. Plus of course they keep extending the age when you qualify. 11 properties should keep the wolf from the door, and no doubt pensions will be means tested in due course.

Comment

I believe you can only make up payments at class 2 rate in the 6 years prior to when you want to pay arrears, but things might have changed since I last looked into it. That may well be why they are asking for the more expensive class 3 rate.

Comment

Assume you made a declaration to HMRC regarding income tax while you were abroad?

Comment

Broadly speaking, if you leave the UK for full-time employment and remain out of the UK for more than a complete tax year, you don't have to declare any foreign income to HMRC, even if you repatriate the earnings.

Comment

It wouldn't have been foreign income though

Comment

sorry i assumed you were talking about overseas income rather than income from UK property

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Furnished Holiday Let - Tax Questions
                ChaseNRainbows
                Hi I have a property that I'm letting through a short term holiday letting company. All seems good so far, but can someone let me know how the tax works on this? Its located in Brighton if that makes a difference?

Also as this is a "furnished Holiday Let" what can I get away with...
                13-07-2018, 15:17 PM
              • Reply to Furnished Holiday Let - Tax Questions
                mariner
                BBC Moneybox today suggested new rules in Oct will require LL to spend min 1 night in holiday Let to gain any tax advantage for duration of Let.
                15-07-2018, 22:46 PM
                MdeB
                1. You speak to a tax inspector, not the person that answers the phone (phone your own tax office, or the one local to you).
                2. Get the tax inspector to put the advice in writing to you.

I have done this several times.
                Once I was given unsolicited information that allowed me...
                15-07-2018, 14:45 PM
                jpkeates
                Personally, I wouldn't take advice from HMRC, a) the people manning the phone aren't qualifies and b) it's like taking legal advice from the police about a criminal matter.

You need to sit down and talk it through with an accountant in some detail (I'd imagine Brighton has quite a lot of...
                14-07-2018, 08:35 AM
                MdeB
                Best to phone in and ask a tax inspector.

But, I believe the position includes:
                • To get any tax relief, the property has to be available to let for at least 210 days each tax year and actually let at least 105 days each tax year.
                  if property is bought part-way through a tax year,
                13-07-2018, 21:29 PM
              • Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
                multipropertyguy
                I own a number of properties, earn over the 40% threshold, trade as a private individual and do a self assessment return each year for Land & Property.

Now, I'm looking at a new property, but commercial this time, I'm 50/50 about setting up a Ltd company to purchase the new property...
                11-07-2018, 13:17 PM
              • Reply to Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
                loanarranger
                A limited company doesn’t have to have been operating before you buy your first property within it, indeed many lenders will use your personal involvement in Property as a measure of credibility.
                If you decide to include your children , are they over 17 years of age and what percentage will...
                11-07-2018, 20:04 PM
              • Capital gains sale
                leehen
                Hello

Wonder if you can help.

I own a currently rented out property and looking to sell.

Its a little confusing hence my question.

So to run down a timeline

March 14 - bought the flat on a shared ownership basis - 50% of full value of...
                07-07-2018, 20:10 PM
              • Reply to Capital gains sale
                Gordon999
                Your total buying cost = GBP 163K . So if you sell at 280K , then your total gain = 280K-163K = GBP 117K .

Your total period of ownership from Mar 14 to Sept 2018 = 4 years + 6 Months = 4.5 years..

Your period of former main residence = March 14 -April 16 + 18 Months from...
                09-07-2018, 19:48 PM
              • Reply to Capital gains sale
                leehen
                Hi
                Thanks for your reply
                Estimated sale price is 280,000.
                Thanks
                Lee
                09-07-2018, 18:14 PM
              Working...
              X