Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ1
    replied
    No CGT as I lived in the property for a fair amount of time myself. Thanks, SDLT paid. Now in a Ltd company. Thanks for all advice.

Leave a comment:

• loanarranger
    replied
    This is not a transfer but a sale and purchase , On a personal basis there is the issue of CGT and for the Ltd co it is unfortunately a case where SDLT becomes payable . .

Leave a comment:

• MisterB
    replied
    I assume you have good reasons for transfer to a ltd company that far outweigh other issues? have you considered establishing a partnership and THEN moving to a ltd company? the reason I ask is because I am also considering it and will be booking an appointment with a recommended advisor in the near future.

my reasons are purely to plan for inheritance tax (though we all know rules change as time progresses) and potentially reduced personal liability

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    As far as I know the accountant is right. This is a sale to a separate party (the company) of the whole. It is NOT a gift of the whole to the company (as in a gift to another party) in which case the solicitor advice would apply. A gift without a mortgage to a person would have no SDLT. I doubt you can gift to a company (which would defeat the whole point of the exercise even if you could?).

But more importantly, you have considered the CGT implications --- I hope...... SDLT may pale into insignificance.

Leave a comment:

• AJ1
    replied
    Thank you, solicitors just confirmed its market value... damm. Never mind. Although I budgeted the SDLT anyway. Thank you again.

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Whichever you go with, make sure they both have adequate professional indemnity insurance in place.

Market value. (s53 Finance Act 2003)

Leave a comment:

• AJ1
    started a topic Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT

Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT

Afternoon All,

After much help from reading this forum I finally have question.

I am just in the process of completing the transfer of my BTL into a ltd company.

My solicitor has settled my personal mortgage and then taken out the new mortgage in the name of the Ltd Company. However I have received conflicting advice from the solicitor and my accountant.

Solicitor is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to the value of the mortgage which has been redeemed. (in this case a value below SDLT threshold) And therefore pay no SDLT

Accountant is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to market value of the property.

Where I'm happy to avoid paying SDLT, I have budget the (rather large) amount, but Im concerned with a knock on the door from Mr HMRC at some point.

So, who is right... Solicitor or Accountant?

Thanks

AJ1

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sdlt on gifted property
    by Bill31
    My father gifted me part of property we live in together, its our main residential property. There was no money exchanged and theres no mortgage.
    I know theres no cgt and sdlt to pay on this gift. But do we still need to file a sdlt rdturn to hmrc?...
    04-06-2020, 12:29 PM
  • Reply to Sdlt on gifted property
    by BTL investor
    Was it done through a solicitor? They should be able to answer the question.
    Best thing you could do is phone HMRC and ask them.
    04-06-2020, 13:49 PM
  • Interest expense on tax return - how to obtain?
    by leasee123
    I will be filling out a 2019/20 SA tax return (my first time!) and will need to declare the income from my buy to let property. The property is on a residential mortgage as it was my home but since last year I have let it out with my lender's permission. I was and continue to be a basic rate tax payer...
    02-06-2020, 15:01 PM
  • Reply to Interest expense on tax return - how to obtain?
    by JamesHopeful
    Thank you for clarifying -- my wording was perhaps a bit unclear. When I said "everyone (whether their marginal tax rate is at basic, higher or additional rate) continues to report mortgage interest in the same way", I meant that there haven't been separate reporting systems introduced depending...
    03-06-2020, 11:13 AM
    by leasee123
    Thanks so much jpkeates for clearing that up. Just so I completely understand - say I left the property instead one day prior to the start of the let - i.e. 31st May, would I report the interest paid on the mortgage on 15th May or does it instead start from 15th June? I am pretty sure it is the former...
    03-06-2020, 11:12 AM
    by jpkeates
    If you're reporting on the cash basis, you record the costs as having been incurred when they happen.
    So no accrual is needed.

The exception to the costs being recorded as incurred is interest between when you moved out and when the first tenancy began.
    As you're working on...
    03-06-2020, 10:58 AM
    by leasee123
    Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I am still confused however as to what interest to report in the tax return. The property was let for the first time last year say 1st June after having lived there myself for a number of years until end of April last year. My mortgage is paid monthly...
    03-06-2020, 10:54 AM
    by jpkeates
    Just for the avoidance of doubt, the way the interest is reported does actually change.

Allowable interest (while in the transition period) is recorded as such (in Box 26) and the restricted element goes in a separate entry (Residential finance costs not included in box 26).
    The allowable...
    03-06-2020, 10:52 AM
    by JamesHopeful
    To be clear, everyone (whether their marginal tax rate is at basic, higher or additional rate) continues to report mortgage interest in the same way, and it is treated in the same way for tax purposes. It is just that new way in which it is treated (as a tax reducer of 20% of the interest rather than...
    03-06-2020, 10:23 AM
    by jpkeates
    You can't use the calculation for an interest only mortgage on a repayment mortgage, it doesn't work the same way.

You claim the interest from the period prior to the first let as though it occurred on the first day of the first tenancy (which is when your business began).
    Same as...
    03-06-2020, 08:09 AM
Working...
X