• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ1
    started a topic Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT

Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT

Afternoon All,

After much help from reading this forum I finally have question.

I am just in the process of completing the transfer of my BTL into a ltd company.

My solicitor has settled my personal mortgage and then taken out the new mortgage in the name of the Ltd Company. However I have received conflicting advice from the solicitor and my accountant.

Solicitor is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to the value of the mortgage which has been redeemed. (in this case a value below SDLT threshold) And therefore pay no SDLT

Accountant is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to market value of the property.

Where I'm happy to avoid paying SDLT, I have budget the (rather large) amount, but Im concerned with a knock on the door from Mr HMRC at some point.

So, who is right... Solicitor or Accountant?

Thanks

AJ1

• AJ1
    replied
    No CGT as I lived in the property for a fair amount of time myself. Thanks, SDLT paid. Now in a Ltd company. Thanks for all advice.

Leave a comment:

• loanarranger
    replied
    This is not a transfer but a sale and purchase , On a personal basis there is the issue of CGT and for the Ltd co it is unfortunately a case where SDLT becomes payable . .

Leave a comment:

• MisterB
    replied
    I assume you have good reasons for transfer to a ltd company that far outweigh other issues? have you considered establishing a partnership and THEN moving to a ltd company? the reason I ask is because I am also considering it and will be booking an appointment with a recommended advisor in the near future.

my reasons are purely to plan for inheritance tax (though we all know rules change as time progresses) and potentially reduced personal liability

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    As far as I know the accountant is right. This is a sale to a separate party (the company) of the whole. It is NOT a gift of the whole to the company (as in a gift to another party) in which case the solicitor advice would apply. A gift without a mortgage to a person would have no SDLT. I doubt you can gift to a company (which would defeat the whole point of the exercise even if you could?).

But more importantly, you have considered the CGT implications --- I hope...... SDLT may pale into insignificance.

Leave a comment:

• AJ1
    replied
    Thank you, solicitors just confirmed its market value... damm. Never mind. Although I budgeted the SDLT anyway. Thank you again.

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Whichever you go with, make sure they both have adequate professional indemnity insurance in place.

Market value. (s53 Finance Act 2003)

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent-a-room and tax deductions
    doobrey
    Trying to settle a debate :-

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc.

However, my accountant has stated that I cannot deduct an amount for use of my own property for business purposes, since...
    17-10-2019, 11:57 AM
  • Reply to Rent-a-room and tax deductions
    doobrey
    Thanks. That is what I thought....
    17-10-2019, 13:23 PM
    jpkeates
    No, I believe you would be able to claim an allowance of £4 a week against the income from that business....
    17-10-2019, 13:18 PM
    Gordon999
    The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £7,500 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else. You can let out as much of your home as you want.

So your web design business...
    17-10-2019, 13:04 PM
    doobrey
    I am not suggesting that Rent-a-Room is a business (...and that is, I guess, part of the point of my question).

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc. However, my understanding/assumption is that this...
    17-10-2019, 12:48 PM
  • Maintenance payment flow of funds
    Kots
    Hi all,

I am one of three flats and I own a share of freehold. We've setup a company to deal with the day-to-day matters such as maintenance payments and such.

One of the freeholders, who is also a director of the company, usually arranges quotes for maintenance works and insurance...
    15-10-2019, 05:10 AM
  • Reply to Maintenance payment flow of funds
    Gordon999
    For your BTL letting business , you are required to keep proper records of the rental income and expenses for each year and be able to report the figures in your annual income tax return.

The rental income and expenses must be supported by bookkeeping records, suppliers invoices...
    17-10-2019, 12:46 PM
    jpkeates
    The point of the Rent a Room scheme is that the landlord isn't running a business, it's a non-commercial arrangement.
    So you aren't using part of your property for running a business unless you have another business (like a web design business).
    17-10-2019, 12:40 PM
    Kots
    Thanks for your replies.

We are tenants in common and although the initial idea was to pay funds in advance, I am not for this so the plan would be that funds are paid as they are required.

What about HMRC, does anybody know if I'd be unable to offset these payments against...
    16-10-2019, 14:08 PM
    leaseholder64
    I'm not clear as to whether the company is the actual freeholder, or you are tenants in common. In the latter case, setting up a company is an unnecessary expense, which probably cannot be fully funded from the service charges.

Also I'm not clear as to whether any service charges are paid...
    15-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Working...
X