Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT

Afternoon All,

After much help from reading this forum I finally have question.

I am just in the process of completing the transfer of my BTL into a ltd company.

My solicitor has settled my personal mortgage and then taken out the new mortgage in the name of the Ltd Company. However I have received conflicting advice from the solicitor and my accountant.

Solicitor is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to the value of the mortgage which has been redeemed. (in this case a value below SDLT threshold) And therefore pay no SDLT

Accountant is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to market value of the property.

Where I'm happy to avoid paying SDLT, I have budget the (rather large) amount, but Im concerned with a knock on the door from Mr HMRC at some point.

So, who is right... Solicitor or Accountant?

Thanks

AJ1

Whichever you go with, make sure they both have adequate professional indemnity insurance in place.

Market value. (s53 Finance Act 2003)
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thank you, solicitors just confirmed its market value... damm. Never mind. Although I budgeted the SDLT anyway. Thank you again.

Comment

As far as I know the accountant is right. This is a sale to a separate party (the company) of the whole. It is NOT a gift of the whole to the company (as in a gift to another party) in which case the solicitor advice would apply. A gift without a mortgage to a person would have no SDLT. I doubt you can gift to a company (which would defeat the whole point of the exercise even if you could?).

But more importantly, you have considered the CGT implications --- I hope...... SDLT may pale into insignificance.

Comment

I assume you have good reasons for transfer to a ltd company that far outweigh other issues? have you considered establishing a partnership and THEN moving to a ltd company? the reason I ask is because I am also considering it and will be booking an appointment with a recommended advisor in the near future.

my reasons are purely to plan for inheritance tax (though we all know rules change as time progresses) and potentially reduced personal liability

Comment

This is not a transfer but a sale and purchase , On a personal basis there is the issue of CGT and for the Ltd co it is unfortunately a case where SDLT becomes payable . .

Comment

No CGT as I lived in the property for a fair amount of time myself. Thanks, SDLT paid. Now in a Ltd company. Thanks for all advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Second payment on account
                dotcotton999
                Hello all,

After paying my 2017/18 tax bill I was asked to pay the first payment on account for 2018/19. The first payment was due by the 31st July 2019. This payment goes towards my future tax bill.

I paid that money owed by the deadline but it hasn’t reduced my 2018/19...
                02-08-2019, 05:58 AM
              • Reply to Second payment on account
                Gordon999
                If you make your tax return online, then you can check the "statement " section showing your payments made to tax office against your own bank statements.
                17-09-2019, 00:01 AM
                dotcotton999
                There’s me thinking it’s called self assessment...
                16-09-2019, 19:28 PM
              • Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
                Edgarina
                I am a higher rate tax payer and my wife is not. I have removed myself from the mortgages of the two buy to let properties we have jointly owned and all the proceeds of the properties are now going into an account in my wife's name. Is this enough so I am no longer liable to pay tax on the income from...
                07-09-2019, 13:40 PM
              • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
                Kape65
                With legislation on linked transactions I would suggest their would be a SDLT liability dependent on the mortgage value transferred. If the joint value amounted to £40k or more then 3% would be payable on the entire amount.
                16-09-2019, 18:58 PM
              • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
                Edgarina
                Hi,

The property value is about 55k each so no stamp duty, the bank had no issues at and didn't even mention it but of course I said I was coning off the deeds too and its via the banks (very expensive solicitors).

I have had an opinion from an accountant and yes it looks like...
                16-09-2019, 16:13 PM
                OneSmallStep
                I think if I had a £200K tax bill, then my accountant should really be earning their money and explaining in detail how my liability is calculated....
                16-09-2019, 10:37 AM
              • house to flats tax implication
                halfax
                i have a large house which i have rented for 18 years and i am considering turning into 3 flats. would i be able to sell as a develope (treated as a trader) when the flats are completed?
                would it be a capital gain or would i be able to move them into a company just paying stamp duty
                15-09-2019, 10:51 AM
              • Reply to house to flats tax implication
                Gordon999
                If you sell the house to a company, you would be liable for capital gains tax on the calculated capital gain ( = sale proceeds minus original cost ) at 18% or 28%. But you can claim personal capital gains allowance of about £12K. The company has to pay sdlt.

If you convert the house and...
                15-09-2019, 17:38 PM
                dotcotton999
                Leaseholder64 do you think if my bill states I owe £200,000 for the 2019 tax year but because I’ve paid £100,000 previously as a payment on account I just pay the other £100,000?

Thanks...
                15-09-2019, 16:33 PM
              Working...
              X