Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT

Afternoon All,

After much help from reading this forum I finally have question.

I am just in the process of completing the transfer of my BTL into a ltd company.

My solicitor has settled my personal mortgage and then taken out the new mortgage in the name of the Ltd Company. However I have received conflicting advice from the solicitor and my accountant.

Solicitor is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to the value of the mortgage which has been redeemed. (in this case a value below SDLT threshold) And therefore pay no SDLT

Accountant is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to market value of the property.

Where I'm happy to avoid paying SDLT, I have budget the (rather large) amount, but Im concerned with a knock on the door from Mr HMRC at some point.

So, who is right... Solicitor or Accountant?

Thanks

AJ1

Whichever you go with, make sure they both have adequate professional indemnity insurance in place.

Market value. (s53 Finance Act 2003)
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thank you, solicitors just confirmed its market value... damm. Never mind. Although I budgeted the SDLT anyway. Thank you again.

Comment

As far as I know the accountant is right. This is a sale to a separate party (the company) of the whole. It is NOT a gift of the whole to the company (as in a gift to another party) in which case the solicitor advice would apply. A gift without a mortgage to a person would have no SDLT. I doubt you can gift to a company (which would defeat the whole point of the exercise even if you could?).

But more importantly, you have considered the CGT implications --- I hope...... SDLT may pale into insignificance.

Comment

I assume you have good reasons for transfer to a ltd company that far outweigh other issues? have you considered establishing a partnership and THEN moving to a ltd company? the reason I ask is because I am also considering it and will be booking an appointment with a recommended advisor in the near future.

my reasons are purely to plan for inheritance tax (though we all know rules change as time progresses) and potentially reduced personal liability

Comment

This is not a transfer but a sale and purchase , On a personal basis there is the issue of CGT and for the Ltd co it is unfortunately a case where SDLT becomes payable . .

Comment

No CGT as I lived in the property for a fair amount of time myself. Thanks, SDLT paid. Now in a Ltd company. Thanks for all advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• An acceptable level of repairs
                by gnvqsos
                I recenly engaged a new accountant who questioned the extent to which I was claiming for repairs.She suggested I was claiming too high a proprtion of gross rents.I believe in repairing and redecorating whenever a property falls empty,as it makes the house easier to let,and makes tenants willing to...
                10-07-2020, 16:18 PM
              • Reply to An acceptable level of repairs
                by Section20z
                Wow, I'm lost for words. Paying someone to remove a perfectly serviceable 5 year old boiler ? What about the environmental impact ?
                11-07-2020, 17:58 PM
                by gnvqsos
                I am glad you share my philosophy,but I would not change boilers after just 7 years.Boilers seem more reliabe these days,and it seems criminal to scrap boilers so prematurely.I think frequent repairs keep tenants sweet,if not they will look elsewhere.
                11-07-2020, 16:54 PM
                by halfax
                i always have a high a proprtion of repairs to gross rents. i indend to sell when i am ready to retire, and i want to keep them up to a good standard. it does not take long for a house to get tired.as an example, all my boilers are on 5 -7year cover, when it comes to the end of warranty i replace them....
                11-07-2020, 15:09 PM
                by Gordon999
                You can charge all materials used for repairs and maintenance against the rental income but you cannot for your own labour.
                11-07-2020, 08:23 AM
                by gnvqsos
                I disagree,as repairs and maintenance executed long-term prevent depreciation of assets,and are cheaper than a massive spend after 15-20 years,ensure the houses are lettable and rents can be adjusted ie increased.
                10-07-2020, 19:38 PM
              • SDLT < 500k
                by Claymore
                Any ideas if I were to transfer/sell a BTL <£500k into a LTD Company in the next couple of months, would the transaction be covered with the no SDLT payable (announced by the chancellor today)?
                08-07-2020, 15:48 PM
              • Reply to SDLT < 500k
                by Gordon999
                The Nil rate sdlt up to £500K until 31 March 2021 , does include companies .

"Companies as well as individuals buying residential property worth less than £500,000 will also benefit from these changes, as will companies that buy residential property of any value where they meet...
                10-07-2020, 18:56 PM
                by jpkeates
                HMRC (and your accountant) can't tell you how to run your business - if you spend a lot on repairs and maintenance, you won't make as much profit, but that's your prerogative.

As long as the expenditure is solely and exclusively for the business and doesn't increase the capital value of...
                10-07-2020, 18:33 PM
                by gnvqsos
                I have let houses since 1994 and have frequently logged repars such as replacing a roof,without prompting an investigation.My previous accountant,of 15 years standing simply advised me to keep meticulous records.I had a family member at senior level and he said most investigations are the result of...
                10-07-2020, 17:55 PM
              Working...
              X