Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT

Afternoon All,

After much help from reading this forum I finally have question.

I am just in the process of completing the transfer of my BTL into a ltd company.

My solicitor has settled my personal mortgage and then taken out the new mortgage in the name of the Ltd Company. However I have received conflicting advice from the solicitor and my accountant.

Solicitor is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to the value of the mortgage which has been redeemed. (in this case a value below SDLT threshold) And therefore pay no SDLT

Accountant is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to market value of the property.

Where I'm happy to avoid paying SDLT, I have budget the (rather large) amount, but Im concerned with a knock on the door from Mr HMRC at some point.

So, who is right... Solicitor or Accountant?

Thanks

AJ1

Whichever you go with, make sure they both have adequate professional indemnity insurance in place.

Market value. (s53 Finance Act 2003)
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Thank you, solicitors just confirmed its market value... damm. Never mind. Although I budgeted the SDLT anyway. Thank you again.

Comment

As far as I know the accountant is right. This is a sale to a separate party (the company) of the whole. It is NOT a gift of the whole to the company (as in a gift to another party) in which case the solicitor advice would apply. A gift without a mortgage to a person would have no SDLT. I doubt you can gift to a company (which would defeat the whole point of the exercise even if you could?).

But more importantly, you have considered the CGT implications --- I hope...... SDLT may pale into insignificance.

Comment

I assume you have good reasons for transfer to a ltd company that far outweigh other issues? have you considered establishing a partnership and THEN moving to a ltd company? the reason I ask is because I am also considering it and will be booking an appointment with a recommended advisor in the near future.

my reasons are purely to plan for inheritance tax (though we all know rules change as time progresses) and potentially reduced personal liability

Comment

This is not a transfer but a sale and purchase , On a personal basis there is the issue of CGT and for the Ltd co it is unfortunately a case where SDLT becomes payable . .

Comment

No CGT as I lived in the property for a fair amount of time myself. Thanks, SDLT paid. Now in a Ltd company. Thanks for all advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Banana Skin
                Flashback1966
                I feel I have messed up my life. Despite working hard, I have landed on a banana skin.

I bought a 3 bedroom house many years ago. It seemed like a nice area. Little did I know, nearby the local housing associations had housed the thugs like the Kray twins and their chums. It was a "problem...
                17-07-2018, 15:22 PM
              • Reply to Banana Skin
                Claymore
                You will also get Letting Relief and Private Residence Relief and your personal Annual Allowance for CGT. Your bill maybe a lot less than you think.
                19-07-2018, 23:10 PM
              • Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?
                craig2222
                I currently earn £25000 from my job.I have 2 rental properties that bring in £12480 per year.I am thinking about buying another that would bring the total to £18720. £18720 plus £25000 is £43720. I'm I right in thinking as long as I am below the £46000 higher tax bracket I am OK and the new tax...
                19-07-2018, 16:05 PM
              • Reply to Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?
                mariner
                I think your assessed Tax Band is the key, not your Income, which can vary. eg Benefit in Kind, net profit from property etc
                Govt can easily alter qualifying Income.
                19-07-2018, 16:46 PM
              • Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
                hmmlee
                Hi there. I live in a Victorian property which has been divided into 5 flats.
                Several years ago, three of the flat owners (including myself) purchased the freehold. The two remaining flat owners decided that they would not participate in the freehold purchase.
                A company was formed for the...
                17-07-2018, 11:10 AM
              • Reply to Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
                Gordon999
                Normally the freehold company will report the income received from lease extension as "annual profit" in its annual acounts which are produced after the year end.

The profit will be reported in the tax return and about 13 months later the company get a tax bill of around 20%....
                18-07-2018, 15:43 PM
              • Reply to Banana Skin
                jpkeates
                CGT is only 18% (28 If you earn a lot). You still get 82% of any increase in value.
                Plus the rental income.
                18-07-2018, 07:00 AM
              • Reply to Banana Skin
                Gordon999
                If you quote some details : we can work out roughly the cgt.

When you bought the property and the price paid
                Dates when you lived in the property.
                Market value now .
                17-07-2018, 19:26 PM
                hmmlee
                Thank you very much for your response - I appreciate any assistance.
                The only trouble is that there are two companies involved (I should have mentioned this previously!)
                One company is the freehold company (representing the interests of the freeholders - collecting ground rent, leasehold...
                17-07-2018, 16:28 PM
                JK0
                I'd leave the money in the company, and relieve the directors of paying service charge until such time as the cash is depleted.
                17-07-2018, 15:43 PM
              Working...
              X