Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT

Afternoon All,

After much help from reading this forum I finally have question.

I am just in the process of completing the transfer of my BTL into a ltd company.

My solicitor has settled my personal mortgage and then taken out the new mortgage in the name of the Ltd Company. However I have received conflicting advice from the solicitor and my accountant.

Solicitor is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to the value of the mortgage which has been redeemed. (in this case a value below SDLT threshold) And therefore pay no SDLT

Accountant is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to market value of the property.

Where I'm happy to avoid paying SDLT, I have budget the (rather large) amount, but Im concerned with a knock on the door from Mr HMRC at some point.

So, who is right... Solicitor or Accountant?

Thanks

AJ1

Whichever you go with, make sure they both have adequate professional indemnity insurance in place.

Market value. (s53 Finance Act 2003)
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Thank you, solicitors just confirmed its market value... damm. Never mind. Although I budgeted the SDLT anyway. Thank you again.

Comment

As far as I know the accountant is right. This is a sale to a separate party (the company) of the whole. It is NOT a gift of the whole to the company (as in a gift to another party) in which case the solicitor advice would apply. A gift without a mortgage to a person would have no SDLT. I doubt you can gift to a company (which would defeat the whole point of the exercise even if you could?).

But more importantly, you have considered the CGT implications --- I hope...... SDLT may pale into insignificance.

Comment

I assume you have good reasons for transfer to a ltd company that far outweigh other issues? have you considered establishing a partnership and THEN moving to a ltd company? the reason I ask is because I am also considering it and will be booking an appointment with a recommended advisor in the near future.

my reasons are purely to plan for inheritance tax (though we all know rules change as time progresses) and potentially reduced personal liability

Comment

This is not a transfer but a sale and purchase , On a personal basis there is the issue of CGT and for the Ltd co it is unfortunately a case where SDLT becomes payable . .

Comment

No CGT as I lived in the property for a fair amount of time myself. Thanks, SDLT paid. Now in a Ltd company. Thanks for all advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Adding wife to BTL property
                ringzer
                In 2005 I bought a BTL property in London with an outstanding mortgage of ~£150,000 and a current market value of ~ £500,000. The apartment has never been lived in by me and my name alone is on the title deeds and mortgage.

I would like to add my wife to the property, either 1) title...
                18-02-2019, 17:37 PM
              • Reply to Adding wife to BTL property
                Kape65
                Okay I can see the image now, however that is just asking how ownership is changing, it doesn't say they will allow it!
                20-02-2019, 17:23 PM
                Kape65
                I don't seem to be able to view the image re option 1. I'm keen to know if it is possible to split ownership with wife without adding her to the mortgage.
                20-02-2019, 17:19 PM
                jpkeates
                Option 2
                If your wife isn't on the mortgage, the transfer is a gift and there's no consideration and no SDLT.
                The gain from the point of transfer would be split.

If there's no saving of income tax, there's no saving other than the CGT allowance (assuming there aren't any changes...
                20-02-2019, 12:24 PM
                Kape65
                You're right, I remember that post. I agree that it's possible to do it but I feel if HMRC did take the time to view it then it could be classed as fraudulent, evading stamp duty and income tax.
                19-02-2019, 17:00 PM
                jpkeates
                Beneficial ownership is a can of worms and HMRC aren't in any position to dispute what a married couple assert to be how they want to split the beneficial ownership, regardless of title.

Someone posted on here a while back, and I made pretty much the same point (which was that the deed...
                19-02-2019, 16:35 PM
                Kape65
                I always believed that a DOT was used because normal ownership of tenant in common property was automatically registered as 50/50 split when the true ownership may have been different i.e wife has put more money in or such. Surely to transfer a percentage to your wife and then use a DOT to claim that...
                19-02-2019, 15:24 PM
                jpkeates
                Where property is owned as tenancy in common, the default presumption is that each tenant owns the property in equal proportions.
                But that doesn't have to be the case, the ownership can be shared in specified proportions, so 1% and 99%, or 60%:40% are possible.

That split would normally...
                19-02-2019, 13:51 PM
                Gordon999
                I think the solicitor may arrange a sale contract of 25% share in property from H ( seller ) to W ( Buyer ) at Nil price . but the Tax Office will say the consideration is 25% of mortgage loan for calculation the sdlt to pay.

After the property is registered under the names of H&W (...
                19-02-2019, 13:30 PM
                Kape65
                Is this possible (genuine question)? I understand the tenants in common bit but I thought you then needed a declaration of trust in order to change the proportions....
                19-02-2019, 13:04 PM
              Working...
              X