Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT

Afternoon All,

After much help from reading this forum I finally have question.

I am just in the process of completing the transfer of my BTL into a ltd company.

My solicitor has settled my personal mortgage and then taken out the new mortgage in the name of the Ltd Company. However I have received conflicting advice from the solicitor and my accountant.

Solicitor is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to the value of the mortgage which has been redeemed. (in this case a value below SDLT threshold) And therefore pay no SDLT

Accountant is saying SDLT transfer value should equate to market value of the property.

Where I'm happy to avoid paying SDLT, I have budget the (rather large) amount, but Im concerned with a knock on the door from Mr HMRC at some point.

So, who is right... Solicitor or Accountant?

Thanks

AJ1

Whichever you go with, make sure they both have adequate professional indemnity insurance in place.

Market value. (s53 Finance Act 2003)
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Thank you, solicitors just confirmed its market value... damm. Never mind. Although I budgeted the SDLT anyway. Thank you again.

Comment

As far as I know the accountant is right. This is a sale to a separate party (the company) of the whole. It is NOT a gift of the whole to the company (as in a gift to another party) in which case the solicitor advice would apply. A gift without a mortgage to a person would have no SDLT. I doubt you can gift to a company (which would defeat the whole point of the exercise even if you could?).

But more importantly, you have considered the CGT implications --- I hope...... SDLT may pale into insignificance.

Comment

I assume you have good reasons for transfer to a ltd company that far outweigh other issues? have you considered establishing a partnership and THEN moving to a ltd company? the reason I ask is because I am also considering it and will be booking an appointment with a recommended advisor in the near future.

my reasons are purely to plan for inheritance tax (though we all know rules change as time progresses) and potentially reduced personal liability

Comment

This is not a transfer but a sale and purchase , On a personal basis there is the issue of CGT and for the Ltd co it is unfortunately a case where SDLT becomes payable . .

Comment

No CGT as I lived in the property for a fair amount of time myself. Thanks, SDLT paid. Now in a Ltd company. Thanks for all advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can you claim expenses for furniture ?
                craig2222
                I am renting my house furnished.Can I claim the expenses on my tax return whatever I spend on furniture ? Thanks...
                05-10-2018, 20:16 PM
              • Reply to Can you claim expenses for furniture ?
                tatemono
                According to the guide I linked to, they are:...
                18-10-2018, 09:15 AM
              • Boiler repair before first tenancy
                Pandy7370
                Hi,

We have recently relocated to a new main residence and have let out our previous house/home.

The boiler in the house was old and had become very temperamental, and whilst we put up with luke warm water intermittently when we lived there it clearly wouldn’t be acceptable...
                17-10-2018, 15:43 PM
              • Reply to Boiler repair before first tenancy
                jpkeates
                Strictly speaking it fails the test.

What I would do personally is claim it and deduct £200 for the use you had of it. You date the expense the first day of the first tenancy and hope nobody even looks at it.

Don’t mention the deduction, just put the figure on the return....
                17-10-2018, 17:25 PM
              • Reply to Can you claim expenses for furniture ?
                DPT57
                I don't think that the initial cost of furnishing a rental property is claimable against CGT. I think its only replacements against revenue income.
                17-10-2018, 10:01 AM
              • Expenses
                jase222
                I have recently purchased a e bike, I wanted to know if I could claim it as a capital expense or claim 20p a mile or is it not a done thing
                Cheers...
                13-10-2018, 16:34 PM
              • Reply to Expenses
                jpkeates
                You have purchased an e-bike solely and exclusively for your property investment business?
                14-10-2018, 12:51 PM
              • expenses claim
                DanandSarah
                Hi everyone. new here and a new landlord!

I work full time and do regular overtime. after saving i've managed to get as deposit together for a buy to let as an investment.

i have a weird question about expenses tho.

if in the first year if my property hasn't broken...
                12-10-2018, 16:37 PM
              • Reply to expenses claim
                jpkeates
                HMRC will have told you what return(s) they require when you told them that you had begun your new business as a landlord.
                14-10-2018, 12:50 PM
              • Reply to expenses claim
                catdog1121
                Note though you can only claim losses against future profits from your property rental business (is it a business or investment, debatable).

Be aware also if your tax bill is more than I think £4k then you are asked to pay last years as well as half of next years which can be a big old...
                13-10-2018, 20:48 PM
              Working...
              X