Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application

Evening all,

We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

The planners have requested an Air Quality and Noise Assessment for the site and I just wanted to confirm if I could zero-rate the VAT invoice?

I suspect not having read the gov site but I'm hoping that I'm missing something...

https://www.gov.uk/vat-building-new-home/eligibility

Thanks in advance for your advice

VAT is chargeable by the company providing service to you. The VAT charge is not decided by you.

You have to register as developer with the HMRC VAT office so that you can claim back VAT paid to the company for the building work and supply of building materials. VAT paid for professional fees to architects and surveyors are not claimable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
      by jpkeates
      There are two types of expenses allowable for tax for a landlord, operational and capital.
      Operational expenses are allowed against income and capital expenses deducted from any capital gain for CGT on disposal.

A lot of the expenses that you have listed would be at least partially...
      28-03-2020, 16:13 PM
    • New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
      by mrdiy88
      Hi Guys,

My wife and myself bought a property in December 2018. It needed repairs and other work such as:

1) A New roof (Tiles felt and battens) due to porous tiles
      2) A new kitchen as it was in a bad state of repair and no one would spruce it up
      3) A new bathroom,...
      28-03-2020, 15:56 PM
    • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
      by Claymore
      jpkeates,

That's lovely, thank you so much!
      24-03-2020, 01:50 AM
    • Implications of Gifting a % of Property
      by Claymore
      Hi

My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him...
      18-03-2020, 15:29 PM
      by jpkeates
      That's another reason to use a trust,
      The trust becomes the beneficial owner of the property, so it moves out of your estate for income tax purposes (over seven years).

You and your son would be the beneficiaries of the trust, so should anything happen to either of you, the trust...
      23-03-2020, 14:32 PM
      by Claymore
      Thanks JP. I am thinking of gifting him 50%, he will still be living with me for a few years.

My biggest concern is that if he marries and then divorces etc - how that would affect me!...
      23-03-2020, 13:53 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax confusion
      by FluffyBunny
      Thank you jpkeates, very helpful
      23-03-2020, 12:51 PM
    • Capital Gains Tax confusion
      by FluffyBunny
      Hi

We are considering selling our second home and wonder if anyone can help.

Background: My husband bought the home in 1988 for £44,000. Over the years it has been rented out for 1 year, empty for 2 years and rented out again for the last 3 years. Up until 3 years ago it...
      17-03-2020, 17:38 PM
      by jpkeates
      Your main residence is the place that you live. If you live in more than one place, you need to tell HMRC which is your primary residence and update them if it changes.
      Most people only have one residence, so it's just a matter of fact.
      Based on what you posted, it was your main residence...
      23-03-2020, 10:03 AM
      by FluffyBunny
      Thanks for the reply. Can anyone help with my other questions please?
      22-03-2020, 16:43 PM
    Working...
    X