SDLT impact of varying ownership % of jointly held with spouse mortgaged property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDLT impact of varying ownership % of jointly held with spouse mortgaged property

Hi All

I've been through many of the historic posts but haven't found a clear answer to this point (but happy to be pointed in the right direction).

I jointly hold a mortgaged investment property with my wife, 50/50 as joint tenants and both on the BTL mortgage. 50% of the current mortgage value is above the SDLT threshold and so this is a matter of applicability of the consideration provisions for SDLT.

I would like to move 49% of the beneficial interest to my wife (lower tax rate) through re-registering as tenants in common and entering in to a DoT to formalise this (and Form 17 to notify HMRC of the change). Giving a 99/1% split in ownership and income. I appreciate that my mortgage provider may have a view on this.

The DoT would seek to clarify that only the net equity interest is being gifted, however, is there an implicit presumption or other mechanism by which HMRC would deem there to be consideration passing for this change of ownership (and thus bringing in the issue of SDLT)? As I see it, we would both remain jointly responsible for the full mortgage due on the property and the change in ownership percentage would not impact this (therefore no consideration and no SDLT). Clearly as a second property and with the additional 3% this becomes more of a material matter to get right.

Does anyone have any experience of this matter? I will probably seek a steer from HMRC or professional advice but wanted to canvass views first.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

If you + wife are registered as "joint tenants" at Land Registry , the Tax Office will automatically assume that each "joint tenant" is entitle to 50% of the rental income.

You can change the distribution of income to 1%: 99% by producing a "Declaration of Trust" and informing HMRC by Form 17 within 60 days of signing the DOT.

You should seek advice from a solicitor before proceeding. As far as I know, you are staying registered as "joint tenants" i.e no change to property title and no sdlt to pay.

Comment

Don't use the word 'gifted'! You aren't gifting her anything, you are transferring another 49% of the debt to her. If she owns other property and the 49% is above 40k then she will have to pay at least 3% surcharge on the full amount.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• SDLT on garage & flat above
        HP mum
        Am looking at buying a garage that has unmodernised but potential living quarters above it.

Would this FH purchase be classed as residential or non residential for SDLT purposes?

When I looked at the Govt site for working out SDLT it showed 2 options:
        residential with...
        23-02-2018, 18:16 PM
      • Reply to SDLT on garage & flat above
        HP mum
        Thank you. Garage below and flat above - but very un-modernised so no one can live in it until renovated... So it seems from your advice that it is mixed use; lower SDLT rates.
        Just out of interest, if there was no kitchen or bathroom in the 'residential' part but the space is definitely for residential...
        25-02-2018, 01:28 AM
      • Tax bill 2016
        willia211
        Hello and please excuse my ignorance as im brand new to self assessment. To cut a long story short i have clearly made a mistake in my self assessment or at least i think i have. For the tax year ending 2016 i have received a bill for £1763.94 due to the tax man finding errors in my return, Basically...
        02-02-2018, 18:40 PM
      • Reply to Tax bill 2016
        willia211
        in a nutshell its sorted i obtain the student loan breakdown for that year, forwarded it to hmrc and they were satisfied. so my tax bill is only 245 quid which has been paid. I have instructed an accountant for next year at a cost of 200....
        24-02-2018, 16:51 PM
        Nigel Nicholson
        If you proceed to buying it then your solicitor will advise you but at present you are not describing it as mixed use, you are saying it 'has potential living quarters' so I assume it is being sold as a garage. If the space above the garage has previously been used as living quarters (but in need of...
        24-02-2018, 10:50 AM
      • Putting my flat into joint names
        sue1946
        I have a small one bed flat purchased for £37,000 about 17 years ago. It has no mortgage and I have recently upgraded the lease to 99 years. The rental achieved currently is £600 pcm. Now my husband is retired we would like to put the flat into joint names so we can split the income between us. There...
        23-02-2018, 16:57 PM
      • Reply to Putting my flat into joint names
        Nigel Nicholson
        By the way, another way of doing this is a 'Deed of Trust' where you sign a deed that you are holding the property on trust for yourself and spouse, in whatever shares you nominate. If you want to be taxed any different than 50/50, then you would have to submit a Form 17. There are template DIY Deed...
        24-02-2018, 07:22 AM
        Gordon999
        You should expect to pay the sdlt rates for mixed-use property posted by hmrc in this link::

https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-t...ixed-use-rates
        23-02-2018, 23:43 PM
      • Letting out flat, renting elsewhere
        aguero9320
        Hi all,

Appreciate this one may be a regular question, but thought best to give a bit of context to our current position - in case it helps with any 'get around'.

We own a small 1 bed flat (mortgaged) which we currently occupy and have up for sale (no biters yet).
        23-02-2018, 12:05 PM
      • Reply to Letting out flat, renting elsewhere
        jpkeates
        That wouldn't work.
        Income is income.

If you're essentially "parking" the property because it won't sell, I'd go interest only.
        But it's your call.
        23-02-2018, 19:05 PM
      Working...
      X