Becoming landlords for the first time this summer - tax advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Becoming landlords for the first time this summer - tax advice

    This summer, probably July 2018, we intend to rent out our three bedroom home and move a few miles down the road to the next town. We will rent a flat or house ourselves. We want to be within the catchment area of a better state school for our child than what is on offer where we currenty live. We may be able to move back to our own home again a few years into the future. So we’re not in a buy to let situation - becoming landlords and renting ourselves.
    We have a flexible offset mortgage with a balance hovering just above zero but we can withdraw money at any time and start paying interest again or indeed pay off the mortgage completely and be done with it. Currently the mortgage is in my name only (the husband), I am a higher tax rate payer, my wife is a homemaker with an income of less than £2,000 per annum. I’m happy to change the mortgage so the house is in joint names. We want to use the income from renting out our home to help pay the rent we will have to pay ourselves. Could anyone advise the most tax efficient way to go about doing this?

    Hi, to split income/expenditure understand you both need to be on the deeds. However current mortgage provider may not allow this, also you will need permission to let from them, which they might not give with your current product.
    Best to give them a call, and discuss options with them.


      or pay it off or take out a BTL mortgage on it in joint names, as tenants in common, then utilise your wifes tax allowance to offset the interest ?


        You need to sit down with an accountant / tax expert and talk through the options.
        The alternative is to do a lot of research and planning - it isn't something to be taken in lightly.

        Being a landlord is running a business, and letting your own home is one of the more stressful ways to go.
        Tenants won't treat your property as you would, and it's very difficult to keep focussed on the business aspect (particularly if you intend to move back in later).

        And check our ground one of section 8 notices.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Latest Activity


        • mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
          If you receive cashback when taking out a buy to let mortgage do you have to declare this as income and will it incur tax?
          14-11-2018, 15:49 PM
        • Reply to mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
          Great so no need to declare it on my tax return?
          14-11-2018, 16:33 PM
        • Reply to mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
          Most lenders who offer a modest cash back do so to enable the borrower to use , if they wish, as a payment towards the basic legal costs instead of offering Free Basic Legal Fees or towards the cost of a valuation, so no it doesn’t have to be declared to HMRC as income , and remember such freebies...
          14-11-2018, 16:29 PM
        • Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?

          I purchased a property in 2009 for £115k (and spent around £20k on improvements) and I’m thinking about selling it early 2019 for £300k.
          I’d expected an approx. £40k CGT bill, but now I’m not so sure and could really do with some high level pointers or peace of mind either way....
          11-11-2018, 18:01 PM
        • Reply to Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
          Don't ever ask HMRC for tax advice.

          A) they're not qualified to give it, b) you may have to give them information to get advice that they can use against you, c) it may cause them to mark your returns for attention and d) they're hardly unbiased.

          Tax is part science and part...
          13-11-2018, 08:43 AM
        • Reply to Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
          Thank you very much. I'll speak to an accountant. I also found a HMRC CGT helpline....
          13-11-2018, 08:35 AM
        • PRR & Letting Relief
          Trying to do some calculations before I think about putting a house on the market, first time I've sold a property. It's only in my name and it was my main residence before letting it out and buying another place.

          Purchase Price £175,000
          Market Value £415,000 (est)

          12-11-2018, 12:03 PM
        • Reply to PRR & Letting Relief
          In Post 2, The total period owned = 180 months .

          Exemption claimed for PPR = 36 months + 18 month after moving out = 54 months

          Period under letting = 180 -54 = 126 months .

          So the capital gain during letting period = £ 240k x 126/180 = £168K.

          12-11-2018, 17:28 PM
        • Reply to PRR & Letting Relief
          Hi, I've tried to follow the calculations above to apply it to my situation but get lost at the CG part - "126 /180", not knowing where these figures come from. I can follow it up to that point.

          However, I will post my figures. I likewise am trying to figure the implications...
          12-11-2018, 16:59 PM
        • queries about self assessment
          Hi All

          My wife has a property which we re-mortgaged on a buy-to-let mortgage to buy our home. This will be our first year doing the self-assessment, whilst I am certain on some things I have a few questions about others which I hope you all can assist with:
          1. Can we claim the mortgage product
          09-11-2018, 15:28 PM