How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)


    I need some advice so please for help.

    My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
    Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
    We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified Land Registry, neither the lender.
    1. Do we have to notify Land Registry or lender?
    2. Can only my husband offset mortgage interest against rental income or it has to be split between us in 90%-10%?
    3. How do we have to split the rest of expenses? Each of us - he or I have paid randomly for an inventory, gas certificate, insurance, fees, council tax, bills etc. from our own accounts (not joint).
    Do we have to add all expenses up and then split them into 90-10% or each of us has to deduct exactly what he's paid for?

    Thank you

  • Gordon999
    If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office allows the income to be shared differently by producing a "Declaration of Trust" and to inform HMRC by Form 17 within 60 days of signing DOT.

    If the property is registered under husband name only, then the total income must be reported on husband's tax return only.

    If the property is registered under both H & W names as "tenants in common" at Land Registry, the income is distributed according to % fixed in the registration at Land Registry and same % must be reported in the tax return submitted by each part owner.

    Leave a comment:

  • jpkeates
    Your husband can't change the percentage ownership with a simple deed of trust.
    It's possible to construct a trust to (effectively) own the property, but the trust would be the owner, not as described.

    A trust as - I think - your husband has tried to set up can only change the beneficial ownership share of a jointly owned property.
    So the form 17 is actually wrong and should be withdrawn (otherwise it's possibly going to get your husband in trouble).

    1 - You (probably) can't change the beneficial ownership shares without the mortgage lender's permission.
    You (almost certainly) can't change the title ownership without their permission (and probably you both being on the mortgage).
    You will need to change the title in order to do what you have tried to do (unless you go down the more complex trust route).

    2 - is academic, because it's not possible - but you split the expenses in the same proportion as the ownership. Provided you are both the landlord - changing the title of the property doesn't change who the landlord is, that's a separate thing.

    3 - as 2.

    Essentially, unless the information given in the first post is incomplete or wrong, the husband hasn't actually done anything and should probably get some professional advice.

    Leave a comment:

  • streetwize
    Just asked Hmrc yesterday regarding this on their webinar meeting, you can't split income if your husband is sole owner. It can be split only since the date your name is added on deed.

    Leave a comment:

Latest Activity


  • Moving into my Buy to Let
    I’m considering selling my primary residence and moving into my buy to let. I then will want to sell the buy to let in a couple of years time and then buy a new primary residence outright. Reason for this is to consolidate my assets and buy my next family home outright.
    My question is will...
    22-04-2019, 17:23 PM
  • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
    If each person has £25K capital gain, approx £12K annual allowance can be deducted .

    So taxable gain is on £13K, charged at 18% or 28%. ( = £2300 or £3640 )

    If you moved in to live for 2 years , your capital gain is reduced from £25K to £20K

    and your...
    26-04-2019, 01:04 AM
  • CGT on Primary Residence that is being split
    We bought our home 20 years ago.
    7 Years ago we developed an outbuilding and have been renting that out.
    We have continued to live in the main house.

    We are trying to understand our CGT liability should we wish to formally split the property and sell the main house.
    25-04-2019, 20:39 PM
  • Reply to CGT on Primary Residence that is being split
    The capital again from sale of your house ( owner occupied for 20 years ) is exempt for capital gains tax.

    After sale of your outbuilding , the capital gain is apportioned between letting period and main residence period.

    The gain under the letting period is liable...
    26-04-2019, 00:56 AM
  • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
    Ok hadn't realised that it's split in this way. Hardly worth doing then... In my instance anyway.
    £50k gain spread over two people's CGT allowance. It would be quite a pain to temporarily move!
    25-04-2019, 17:58 PM
  • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
    If you move into the BTL property and it becomes your primary residence, and you sell after 2 years , your situation is

    Property owned for 10 years and if your total capital gain is say £100K .

    The total gain is apportioned £80K ( 8 Years as BTL) and £20K ( 2 years...
    25-04-2019, 17:18 PM
  • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
    Politicians (and everyone else) can only have one primary residence, and they don't get to have a different one at weekends.

    CGT isn't applicable for a primary residence, but it simply transfers to the other property you're not living in.

    If you were to move in part time, you...
    25-04-2019, 16:48 PM
  • Incorporation relief
    This might interest you guys if anyone has a problem with the higher tax rules.

    If you actively work in your property business for over 20 hours per week, you can transfer your properties to a company, without paying CGT....
    25-04-2019, 15:53 PM
  • Reply to Incorporation relief
    In theory.

    There are a number of problems with that and I'd not want to be the first person to interest HMRC and have a test case....
    25-04-2019, 16:40 PM
  • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
    The planning to exit being a LL (following removal of S21) is starting!
    25-04-2019, 14:52 PM