How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)

Hello.

I need some advice so please for help.

My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
    Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
    We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified Land Registry, neither the lender.
    1. Do we have to notify Land Registry or lender?
    2. Can only my husband offset mortgage interest against rental income or it has to be split between us in 90%-10%?
    3. How do we have to split the rest of expenses? Each of us - he or I have paid randomly for an inventory, gas certificate, insurance, fees, council tax, bills etc. from our own accounts (not joint).
    Do we have to add all expenses up and then split them into 90-10% or each of us has to deduct exactly what he's paid for?

Thank you

• Gordon999
    replied
    If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office allows the income to be shared differently by producing a "Declaration of Trust" and to inform HMRC by Form 17 within 60 days of signing DOT.

If the property is registered under husband name only, then the total income must be reported on husband's tax return only.

If the property is registered under both H & W names as "tenants in common" at Land Registry, the income is distributed according to % fixed in the registration at Land Registry and same % must be reported in the tax return submitted by each part owner.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Your husband can't change the percentage ownership with a simple deed of trust.
    It's possible to construct a trust to (effectively) own the property, but the trust would be the owner, not as described.

A trust as - I think - your husband has tried to set up can only change the beneficial ownership share of a jointly owned property.
    So the form 17 is actually wrong and should be withdrawn (otherwise it's possibly going to get your husband in trouble).

1 - You (probably) can't change the beneficial ownership shares without the mortgage lender's permission.
    You (almost certainly) can't change the title ownership without their permission (and probably you both being on the mortgage).
    You will need to change the title in order to do what you have tried to do (unless you go down the more complex trust route).

2 - is academic, because it's not possible - but you split the expenses in the same proportion as the ownership. Provided you are both the landlord - changing the title of the property doesn't change who the landlord is, that's a separate thing.

3 - as 2.

Essentially, unless the information given in the first post is incomplete or wrong, the husband hasn't actually done anything and should probably get some professional advice.

Leave a comment:

• streetwize
    replied
    Just asked Hmrc yesterday regarding this on their webinar meeting, you can't split income if your husband is sole owner. It can be split only since the date your name is added on deed.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Adding wife to BTL property
    ringzer
    In 2005 I bought a BTL property in London with an outstanding mortgage of ~£150,000 and a current market value of ~ £500,000. The apartment has never been lived in by me and my name alone is on the title deeds and mortgage.

I would like to add my wife to the property, either 1) title...
    18-02-2019, 17:37 PM
  • Reply to Adding wife to BTL property
    jpkeates
    Where property is owned as tenancy in common, the default presumption is that each tenant owns the property in equal proportions.
    But that doesn't have to be the case, the ownership can be shared in specified proportions, so 1% and 99%, or 60%:40% are possible.

That split would normally...
    19-02-2019, 13:51 PM
    Gordon999
    I think the solicitor may arrange a sale contract of 25% share in property from H ( seller ) to W ( Buyer ) at Nil price . but the Tax Office will say the consideration is 25% of mortgage loan for calculation the sdlt to pay.

After the property is registered under the names of H&W (...
    19-02-2019, 13:30 PM
    Kape65
    Is this possible (genuine question)? I understand the tenants in common bit but I thought you then needed a declaration of trust in order to change the proportions....
    19-02-2019, 13:04 PM
    Gordon999
    Option 2 is not available because you have a mortgage loan ( in sole name ) secured by the mortgage lender taking a charge on the property title. This means any change to the property title requires consent by the mortgage lender.

You can transfer by gifting a 25% share in the property...
    19-02-2019, 11:55 AM
    jpkeates
    Tenants in common - which allows each person to own a defined share of a property.
    You can transfer 1% of a property to someone (at the value of 1% of the total property value at the time).

Totally agree about the mortgage lender....
    19-02-2019, 10:44 AM
    Kape65
    This intrigues me, how do you transfer a small part of title? I know you can split beneficial ownership of jointly held property but how do you transfer a small part of title prior to changing beneficial ownership.

I'm not sure your mortgage company will allow a transfer of title only,...
    19-02-2019, 10:41 AM
    jpkeates
    You can transfer a small part of the property to your wife, not necessarily half.
    That can minimise the SDLT (or remove it altogether).

Then you use a deed of trust to adjust the beneficial ownership to the desired percentage (notified to HMRC using Form 17).

It's something...
    19-02-2019, 09:52 AM
  • Trying to move away from using an accountant, and handle my own tax return.
    BobbosHandle
    Dear all,
    I'm a landlord with one property.

I'm paying an accountant about £600 p/a to take care of my self-assessment tax return. I would like to do it myself and save some cash.

I'm sure I could get most of it right, but I'm anxious not to draw the gaze of inland revenue...
    18-02-2019, 17:24 PM
  • Reply to Trying to move away from using an accountant, and handle my own tax return.
    Gordon999
    I would recommend that you use a separate bank ( current ) account for receiving your rental income and paying out all maintenance expenses.
    The 12 months statements will produce the total rental income and total expense figures for reporting on the tax return for 2018-2019.

If...
    18-02-2019, 22:45 PM
Working...
X